Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 3:05:18 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a Colt Python that has some rust issue.  There are some patches of rust and pitting.  I was wondering what I could do to get the surface rust off and clear up most of the rust.  I want to keep the bluing that is unaffected as pristine as possible and maybe stop the surface rusting issue.  He may be considering sending it out for rebluing the gun and any reputable refinishing vendors you guys can suggest would be most helpful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some Kroil and a nylon toothbrush.  Anything much harsher than that risks damaging the finish further.  Re-finishing it will probably hurt the value quite a bit unless the gun looks like it was dredged from the bottom of the Mississippi.  

Protect it with something like Boeshield T-9, Rig grease, or even WD-40.  (But don't use WD-40 as a lube)
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
From the tests I've seen WD-40 is almost useless as a rust preventative.
Break Free CLP is miles better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Rust with bluing and pitting for me equals bead blast and hard chrome...
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Please post the test data. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This test seems to show WD-40 beats CLP:  Rust Preventative Test
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guess I should have taken pics for you! I used to believe that WD40 prevented rust. My guns told me otherwise. I didn't need test data. I switched to Break Free CLP and have never experienced rusty guns since. Although I have switched to Corrosion X mostly because we buy it by the gallon for aircraft use. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the posts.  I was able to get most off the surface rust off and cleaned up the exterior as well as I could.  It looks okay and I'd just call the rust blemishes "character and age marks".  I think he will like what I did.  My friend isn't too concerned about resale value but would like to consider a good factory looking blued refinishing if possible.  It is a family heirloom and he just wants to maintain it for the future generations.  Any suggestions on a good refinishing vendor that will do justice on a classic revolver like the Colt Python?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's some professionals who can do a Colt type Royal Blue as used on the Python.
Note that polishing is about 95% of a good blue and that's all in keeping the sharp edges sharp and flat areas truly flat with no ripples.
Not many have the skill and the special large diameter HARD polishing wheels needed.
Unfortunately, Colt no longer does any work on Pythons or any of the pre-2000's Colt revolvers.
You could contact Colt and ask who they'd recommend for a Python quality blue job.

Here's some of the known top shops.

Glenrock
Glenrock is a top trade shop that does a lot of work for custom gunsmiths.  They are one of the few who offer Python level polishing and color.

Ron's
Like Doug Turnbull, Ron's is known as a true restoration service who can do all the old pre-war types of bluing and color case work.
The Python had a post-war bluing salts type blue and I think Ron's can duplicate it.
Turnbull would be even better, but I don't think they do Pythons anymore.

The Custom Shop
The Custom Shop is NOT affiliated with Colt and there are some questions about them.
They do offer Python level Royal Blue jobs, but I haven't actually seen their work or talked to anyone who has.
So, no recommendation one way or another.  Online their work looks good.

Ford's
Ford's USED to be well known for a brilliant wet look Colt type Royal Blue.   BUT, late last year they hired a new worker and several people on the Colt Forum got back Pythons that were absolutely ruined.
Whether this was a short lived problem or how they run now is unknown.
Until we know more we will no longer recommend Ford's for any bluing work.

I recommend contacting Colt first to ask who they'd recommend and go with that.
Note that any true Colt quality Royal Blue job is going to be very expensive.  Anyone else will only butcher it and ruin a valuable gun so choose carefully.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
use a pre 1982 pure copper penny to knock off rust.  

I would leave it as is.  Two things will either happen.

It would rust again anyway, new finish or not due to owner inattention.

Some day the value may increase to such an amount and market trends may justify a refinish.  Also 20 years from now people may look at a refinish as a no penalty option.  20 years ago it was a death blow to value.  We are right now somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.  This is what I need to figure out what to do with this family heirloom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a test years ago in Gun test magazine that showed Boeshield T-9 and motor oil near the top on corrosion prevention and hot and cold lubrication
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Guess I should have taken pics for you! I used to believe that WD40 prevented rust. My guns told me otherwise. I didn't need test data. I switched to Break Free CLP and have never experienced rusty guns since. Although I have switched to Corrosion X mostly because we buy it by the gallon for aircraft use. 
View Quote
NO YOU should have said YOUR test data=un scientific In YOUR POST
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's some professionals who can do a Colt type Royal Blue as used on the Python.
Note that polishing is about 95% of a good blue and that's all in keeping the sharp edges sharp and flat areas truly flat with no ripples.
Not many have the skill and the special large diameter HARD polishing wheels needed.
Unfortunately, Colt no longer does any work on Pythons or any of the pre-2000's Colt revolvers.
You could contact Colt and ask who they'd recommend for a Python quality blue job.

Here's some of the known top shops.

Glenrock
Glenrock is a top trade shop that does a lot of work for custom gunsmiths.  They are one of the few who offer Python level polishing and color.

Ron's
Like Doug Turnbull, Ron's is known as a true restoration service who can do all the old pre-war types of bluing and color case work.
The Python had a post-war bluing salts type blue and I think Ron's can duplicate it.
Turnbull would be even better, but I don't think they do Pythons anymore.

The Custom Shop
The Custom Shop is NOT affiliated with Colt and there are some questions about them.
They do offer Python level Royal Blue jobs, but I haven't actually seen their work or talked to anyone who has.
So, no recommendation one way or another.  Online their work looks good.

Ford's
Ford's USED to be well known for a brilliant wet look Colt type Royal Blue.   BUT, late last year they hired a new worker and several people on the Colt Forum got back Pythons that were absolutely ruined.
Whether this was a short lived problem or how they run now is unknown.
Until we know more we will no longer recommend Ford's for any bluing work.

I recommend contacting Colt first to ask who they'd recommend and go with that.
Note that any true Colt quality Royal Blue job is going to be very expensive.  Anyone else will only butcher it and ruin a valuable gun so choose carefully.
View Quote
Thanks for the in depth post.  That's what kind of info I'm looking for.  I appreciate you taking the time and giving this info.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Gary Reeder in Flagstaff can make it look better than new , his super deep blueing is superb .
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gary Reeder in Flagstaff can make it look better than new , his super deep blueing is superb .
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Note that in gun bluing the color is not the critical factor.  Even an out and out botch job will be a dark blue-black color.

What determines a good job from a botch job is the quality of the polishing, and that's all in keeping sharp edges sharp, flat surfaces flat and ripple free, no removal or washing out of the stamps, and no dished-out holes.

Because the Python is FAR more polished than any other revolver, it takes a true Master polisher using the correct equipment to do that level of polish and still maintain the surfaces.
He also needs to have years of experience and does enough to maintain the skill.
That means someone who polishes for a living, 40 hours a week.

The equipment is just as important.  Most butchers use a motor with soft buffs.  That rounds off the edges and digs in to features and turns a great gun into a "bar of soap" look.

Pros use LARGE diameter HARD felt polishing wheels or large metal wheels with abrasives on the edge.
Then they stack the wheels until they have them from 5 to 10 inches wide.
The larger and wider the polishing wheels are, the easier it is to keep flats flat and not round off edges.
Colt used huge 1 1/2 foot wooden wheels covered with walrus hide.

This is why you don't look at the color of a blue job to tell how good it is.  You look UNDER the bluing at the steel itself to see if those edges are sharp and the flats have no ripples in them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Note that in gun bluing the color is not the critical factor.  Even an out and out botch job will be a dark blue-black color.

What determines a good job from a botch job is the quality of the polishing, and that's all in keeping sharp edges sharp, flat surfaces flat and ripple free, no removal or washing out of the stamps, and no dished-out holes.

Because the Python is FAR more polished than any other revolver, it takes a true Master polisher using the correct equipment to do that level of polish and still maintain the surfaces.
He also needs to have years of experience and does enough to maintain the skill.
That means someone who polishes for a living, 40 hours a week.

The equipment is just as important.  Most butchers use a motor with soft buffs.  That rounds off the edges and digs in to features and turns a great gun into a "bar of soap" look.

Pros use LARGE diameter HARD felt polishing wheels or large metal wheels with abrasives on the edge.
Then they stack the wheels until they have them from 5 to 10 inches wide.
The larger and wider the polishing wheels are, the easier it is to keep flats flat and not round off edges.
Colt used huge 1 1/2 foot wooden wheels covered with walrus hide.

This is why you don't look at the color of a blue job to tell how good it is.  You look UNDER the bluing at the steel itself to see if those edges are sharp and the flats have no ripples in them.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  So is it hard to find a reputable and highly skilled refinisher that has the experience to work on a valuable and classic firearm as the Colt Python?  It would be so disappointing to have a gun like a Colt Python ruined by an inept refinisher.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
have you tried to have any bodywork done to a car?  its getting near impossible to find anybody to do a good job when it comes to any sort of fine finish work involving metal.

used to be 20% of the time you could get excellent work done, 60% of the time it was good and 20% it was poor.  Now its 20% good and 80% poor.  Excellent is practically once in a blue moon or you pay a fortune for the one guy who is backed up with 18 months of work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  So is it hard to find a reputable and highly skilled refinisher that has the experience to work on a valuable and classic firearm as the Colt Python?  It would be so disappointing to have a gun like a Colt Python ruined by an inept refinisher.
View Quote
Other then Glenrock or "possibly" "The Custom Shop" I'd contact Colt and ask who they'd recommend to do a factory level Royal Blue finish on your Python.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top