Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 11:44:52 PM EDT
Picked this up today at the LGS.  Serial number on colt.com says it's a 1970 manufactured Detective Special and it's got an installed shroud!

I've actually been wanting a Colt with the hammer shroud for about 4 years, but it seems like whenever they come up they're unfired collector-grade, in box, only take out once time to be rubbed on a virgin for a blessing and to polish out any turn ring, or $900 rustbuckets.  I'm pretty happy with this one.  You can sort of see it on the right side grip, but someone cut a plug to fill in the hole for the other side of the screw interface and sanded/polished over.  I think these might be homemade grips, but they're very nice.  Grip backstrap has PA1893 stamped on it which is NOT the serial number on the frame, so I'm guessing that is a rack number?  The "A" is actually overstamped because they didn't hit it hard enough the first time.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful!

Those hammer guards are hard to find, too!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh...another aficionado with discerning and refined taste! Love the shroud on yours.

This has been my daily carry for over a decade.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  I've got an Agent with the installed hammer shroud.  Can't seem to find any decent pricing info on them.  What's one in excellent condition run?  I've been thinking of parting with it (not a for sale ad!).
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ahhh...another aficionado with discerning and refined taste! Love the shroud on yours.
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/63/91/01/20171012.jpg
View Quote
I dunno about taste, but I do like some of the oddball Colts.  Got the Series 3 with shroud and the (clone) Fitzgerald Special.  Now I just need to find a Smython or a Smolt and I'll be happy for a bit.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Grips look like Spegel boot grips.
They fill in the the screw hole on the off side

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Grips look like Spegel boot grips.
They fill in the the screw hole on the off side

http://craigspegel.com/images/p11-640.jpg
View Quote
That's a match!  Hot damn.  I must have googled for 20 minutes looking for something like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Super nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/63/91/01/20171012.jpg
View Quote
This is my favorite snubbie pistol! SO beautiful, like a fine woman!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice.  My Dad has one and a Diamondback.  They have been fired very little.  

I told him what they were worth, just yesterday. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! I would like to find one with a shroud, but so far I haven't even seen one for sale around here. I did turn up a third generation DS a few years ago that belonged to a retired LAPD detective. Mine still has the original grips and from the lack of holster wear, I don't think he carried it very much. Anyway, for $500 I think I did okay.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Had one of the strike era guns several years ago.  That thing was covered in sharp edges.  It would draw blood almost every time I shot it.  Much as I wanted to like the gun, I just couldn't.  I may try to find another one someday, but the price tag is getting hard to swallow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
How do you shoot something like that with the shroud where the web of your hand should be?  Your hand should be up high on the backstrap.

If your hand is below the shroud, wierd grip. If your hand is over the shroud, it looks like it would bite.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you shoot something like that with the shroud where the web of your hand should be?  Your hand should be up high on the backstrap.

If your hand is below the shroud, wierd grip. If your hand is over the shroud, it looks like it would bite.
View Quote
The extra cool factor protects you.  

Gotta work on my vintage technique.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top