Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 10:48:46 PM EDT
I just watched the first season of Westworld and I'm totally wanting to get some kind of single action pistol to take to the range just to see how the feel.  

I don't know if I wanna do black powder though and I don't need anything specifically from the show.  I currently live In Student housing so there's no way I'm gonna reload my own Ammo so something taking modern Ammo would be ideal.  

Anybody have any cool suggestions?

That Lemat from the show was sooo damn sexy but reading about them makes me think it would be a terrible choice for getting my feet wet with single actions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The Lemat looks cool but it's a big heavy revolver with a black powder shotgun barrel so it's not really that great of choice for anyone not into blackpowder loading.  Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Ruger Vaquero's.  They are extremely well made, feel awesome and safe to shoot/carry with 6 rounds loaded because of their transfer bar safety built in.  You can get just about any flavor you want too.

I'm a big fan of the .45 Colt, having multiple single action revolvers and lever action rifles in that caliber but if you aren't reloading it can get expensive if you shoot a lot.   .38 Special/.357 magnum is the other primary color and generally a lot more affordable ammo-wise.  The Italian replica market has a lot of great looking models and the quality is good but I prefer to buy American whenever possible.  Go check out Ruger's website and you'll likely find lots of stuff you'll like.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with Rutgers in the last.  Loved my GP100 and carried a LCRx for awhile.  Will check out the Vaquero this week and see how I like it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get a Ruger Vaquero.

If you want to save some $, get a convertible model that comes with a 45 ACP cylinder:  shoot $0.25/rnd ACP versus $0.45/rnd Colt 45.

Black Powder, while fun, is a PITA so I wouldn't go that route.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're not reloading I would go .38/.357.  45 Colt is damned expensive around here, even for cowboy loads ($30.+ a box).
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I enjoy shooting my Uberti clone of a Colt SAA 45LC. I don't use black powder though since it's so dirty, but you can if you reload. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Ruger Vaquero in .357mag.
Solid gun. Affordable ammo if using .38special. Plenty of aftermarket goodness. Decent return on resale.
The Italian SAA clones are decent guns but resale sucks.
45 Colt is a fun caliber but it is expensive to buy factory ammo.Going to really cut down on shooting if you're on a student budget.

Blackpowder is an entire world to itself. As a newbie I suggest not going there until you gain some experience.
Authentic BP is getting difficult to obtain. The substitute powders suck if you want the real experience.
You are an unwashed heathen if you do not use the Holy Black.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how authentic you want to go a Ruger Blackhawk (adjustable sights) or a Vaquero (fixed sights) in .357 mag are excellent guns for the money.
Personally I like the Blackhawk over the Vaquero, but it has more to do with asthetics than anything else.
You can get one in 45 colt like the poster above mentioned as well.

If you want to get really adventurous you can step up to the Super Blackhawk in 44mag or even 480 Ruger if carpal tunnel syndrome happens to be on your bucket list.

Be advised, single actions are as addictive as BRD. I started with one, now I have....well.....many.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
If reloading is an issue, any centerfire is going to get costly.

Take a look at the Ruger Single Six.  In .22 lr or a convertible with a .22 mag cylinder they are more fun than should be allowed and not cost prohibitive.

This revolver can be had in either fixed sighted or adjustable sighted models  The fixed sighted model is in blued steel only, but since you're looking for something close to what you've seen in westworld it might be the way to go.

Ruger Single Six
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero in .357mag.
Solid gun. Affordable ammo if using .38special. Plenty of aftermarket goodness. Decent return on resale.
The Italian SAA clones are decent guns but resale sucks.
45 Colt is a fun caliber but it is expensive to buy factory ammo.Going to really cut down on shooting if you're on a student budget.

Blackpowder is an entire world to itself. As a newbie I suggest not going there until you gain some experience.
Authentic BP is getting difficult to obtain. The substitute powders suck if you want the real experience.
You are an unwashed heathen if you do not use the Holy Black.
View Quote
Had a Dillon 650 back in my army days but now I'm in a tiny little apartment and I sold all my reloading shit to cover divorce costs.  So ya I think I'm gonna pass on 45 LC for now.  

Down the road I'd love to get into black powder
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If reloading is an issue, any centerfire is going to get costly.

Take a look at the Ruger Single Six.  In .22 lr or a convertible with a .22 mag cylinder they are more fun than should be allowed and not cost prohibitive.

This revolver can be had in either fixed sighted or adjustable sighted models  The fixed sighted model is in blued steel only, but since you're looking for something close to what you've seen in westworld it might be the way to go.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/images/0629.jpg

Ruger Single Six
View Quote
I like it!  Will pick one up and see if I get the addiction and if I do I'll be adding a vaquero in the near future

Edit:  ouch just saw the price tag. Kinda high for a rim fire but I don't have lots of 38 and I do have tens of thousands of 22s so I still think ill go with rimfire to get my feet wet
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Expensive?

The Convertible Single Six is $462 on Gallery of Guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Expensive?

The Convertible Single Six is $462 on Gallery of Guns.
View Quote
I live on the GI bill right now.  I'll still prob do it in just gonna need a month or two to make some cushion for the expense
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just get a Ruger Vaquero.

If you want to save some $, get a convertible model that comes with a 45 ACP cylinder:  shoot $0.25/rnd ACP versus $0.45/rnd Colt 45.

Black Powder, while fun, is a PITA so I wouldn't go that route.
View Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Answer right here.  I am a Freedom Arms guy the Vaquero is the best deal overall
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#14]
This is my Ruger Single Six Convertible .22LR/.22WMR.  It's a model that is only produced every 5 years or so but is currently in production this year.  Took me several years to find mine and two years after finding it they started making them again.  I suspect this will be the last year before it goes back into hiatus so if you want one of these it's not something you want to wait too long for.  I absolutely LOVE this "gunfighter" length stainless Single Six, it's easy to start pretending your in the old west but with the advantage of adjustable sights.

Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless wanting it to look authentic, may want to consider a Ruger BH with adjustable sights. Revolvers are more prone to changing poi with varying bullet weights, and adjustable sights can give more options in ammo selection. Like the others mentioned, 45 lc is expensive.  So is 44 mag, 44 special, 38-40 or 44-40.  38 special/357
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I live on the GI bill right now.  I'll still prob do it in just gonna need a month or two to make some cushion for the expense
View Quote
Then you may want to consider the Heritage Arms .22LR guns for just a range toy/SA desire.
Heritage

On reloading suggest a Lee Classic Handloader kit (wack a mole).  I used to reload .41 mag with one in the barracks in the mid 80s and could do 50 rds/hr.  Still under $35 to start reloading.
Lee

CD
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a used Ruger. They're incredibly hard to tear up and moderately priced.

What's on the Cali list for single actions anyway?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get a used Ruger. They're incredibly hard to tear up and moderately priced.

What's on the Cali list for single actions anyway?
View Quote
Most if not all Ruger single actions.

Interestingly, I like the shorter barreled single actions in centerfire calibers, but prefer the 5.5" barrels in rimfires.
I think the slightly longer barrel balances better in the .22's

Sometime when I'm out in the desert and I feel like being a bit fanciful, I wear a double crossdraw rig with a .45 short barreled Blackhawk on the right and the 5.5" barreled Single Six on the left.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/357

Probably the cheapest you could shoot a centerfire revolver (with 9mm). There is question of accuracy with the 9mm, .355 bs .357 bullet, but I doubt it would be noticeable while plinking
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot SASS and have chosen my rifle and revolvers in .38 Special /.357 mag.  The main reasons were for the reduced recoil and the price of the ammo (even though I reload).

For revolvers, I have a pair of 5 1/2 inch SS New Ruger Vaqueros.
For a rifle, I chose the 1894 Marlin carbine (I modded the magazine tube to hold 10 rounds of .38 Special).
and
For a shotgun, I chose an old Winchester 1897 pump in 12 ga. with the barrel cut down to 20".

I'm not really a "gamer" but, with this brace of firearms......I'm comfortable.

For more info in SASS visit......

https://www.sassnet.com/

or for a quick start visit Capt Baylor's Ranger Camp......

http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top