Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 1:35:25 AM EDT
Anyone own any reproductions of the old S&W top break revolvers like the Schofields or Russians?ive always liked these, but I've never had hands on with one.  I'm assuming that whether they're from Uberti, Cimarron, or Taylor's that they're all made at the same factory.  What are the fit and finish like on these?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an Uberti Schofield in .38Special.
Its a nice gun. Solid and accurate. Stay with light to moderate loads.
All the guns are made by Uberti. Taylor's and Cimarron are just importers.
Been happy with mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to work with a guy that had a pair of Ubertis he used in CASS.

Don't recall him ever having a problem with them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
S&W did a limited run couple years ago.  Picked up the serial numbers were they left off.

CD
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Scofield in 44WCF same as my 1873 lever gun.  The fit and finish are super and it always draws attention when you eject the rounds ;)  I actually started reloading to develop a load for her since the Magtech rounds were .426 I think so I would get leading to the cylinder face. I am currently using .428 and .430 bullets in my load development.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S&W did a limited run couple years ago.  Picked up the serial numbers were they left off.

CD
View Quote
I loved those.  Coolest thing a company ever did. Smith use to do some awesome machining. Now everything is how expensive an all metal gun would be.  Save the steal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
They are nice, and yeah they are all the same guns basically. I wouldn't mind getting one in 45LC since all my cowboy guns are in that caliber. I really loved the new remake of 310 to Yuma with Charlie Prince and his two beautiful Schofields. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My sister and love the looks of that nickel plated model by Uberti with the white pearl grips....that thing in .45 Colt would be a beautiful BBQ gun as well as just plain fun to shoot.  Finding one of those "recent" ones made by S&W would be great but they are few and far between as well as being mucho expensive when they do show up.  Hell, even the Uberti versions are very pricey or I'd own one by now.  I prefer my "cowboy/Old West" guns to be American made (mine are all Ruger) but you don't have much of a choice when buying one these days and Uberti does make quality guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a Russian by uberti in 44 Russian. I love it.  Well made and solid.  Accurate too

I also own a third generation 1873 made by colt in 44 special.  It will fire the 44 Russian since it was the predecessor of the 44 special.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I own two of them. one Russian in .45 LC and the number 3 "smith" in .44-40. they are both accurate and reliable. I did shoot them in cowboy action and they worked just fine. both have  the long 7.5 inch barrels.  when unloading them pop them open quick and you won't get the case behind the "star". I shoot between 5 and 6 grains of Trail boss behind a 200 gr bullet with both of them. I use the same bullet in both pistols as you would use in the same caliber rifles , a RNFN BULLET.  yes, they are expensive but I think they are worth it. I've had no trouble with either one yet!.(ok, I'd still like to get one in .38-40 ).
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned the uberti clones, they were finished  early as nice as my original smiths
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top