Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
Looking at getting a Ruger Blackhawk in .480 to go with my Ruger No. 1 in .475 Linebaugh.  (which can shoot .480, too)  Lipsey's had Ruger make some 5 shot Blackhawks in .480 and .454 and I just wondered if anyone here had one.  I'd like a Freedom Arms in .475, but I just can't justify $2600 right now on something for combating the local deer population a couple times a year.  

I reload, so I'd probably work up a light load and a hunting load.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a older BFR 454 casull.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some nice FA 454's on GB right now for around $1,500.00 I found one at Cabelas for around 1,300.00 that I should be picking up soon... Sorry, no experience with the Rugers in .480
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the 6.5" and now currently the 4 5/8". I would have waited for the shorter barrel had I known they were going to make it. Both were very accurate the
4 5/8" is the prefect packing size. I think you would be happy with the .480.

if you want ammo commonality BFR makes a .475 that's less $$$ than a Freedom arms.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The Bisley Blackhawk 480 is available in two different barrel lengths, they're nice but if you want a nicer gun in 475L instead, Magnum Research is once again offering their 475L BFR and it's a killer single action.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up LNIB 475 for $1,600 recently:

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/WJSLQ3s.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/cMFWpaV.jpg?1
View Quote
That pretty. Not sure I could handle the .475! How's the recoil vs .454?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/WJSLQ3s.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/cMFWpaV.jpg?1
View Quote
I keep looking for a 6" FA in .475, but not much comes up at a price much less than NIB.  Looks like you found a deal, though.

This would be used for some late season doe tag filling.  I've always wanted to handgun hunt, and like I said, I have that Ruger #1 in .475 so another Lipsey's limited run Ruger would be a nice fit.  

Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That pretty. Not sure I could handle the .475! How's the recoil vs .454?
View Quote
Have not shot it yet. This winter I will be dropping the hammer!  Got the TSOB mount rings and 2X Leupold on it now.  Got brass and Hornady dies need some powder and bullets.

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have not shot it yet. This winter I will be dropping the hammer!  Got the TSOB mount rings and 2X Leupold on it now.  Got brass and Hornady dies need some powder and bullets.

https://i.imgur.com/b6pD4oe.jpg?2
View Quote
FWIW, I see Ruger is shipping No. 1's in .475 Linebaugh again.  These were hard to find for many years.  Be a nice companion to those FA's revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/b6pD4oe.jpg?2
View Quote
Thanks. Have that same mount on my .454 FA. Been having pretty good luck with Unique and IMR-4227 in 454.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Guy at work is selling a 480 ruger super redhawk.  I'm thinking of picking it up, I think he said $400 with ammo and reloading dies.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I ended up trading him for this package.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I ended up trading him and for this package.  

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/Serwin007/IMG_20171012_181022_zpsndygmxed.jpg
View Quote
Wow. That’s awesome.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot the 480 today and after the second round I was done.  I forced myself to shoot all six, but man these are loaded hot.  I think I need to try that other grip.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I can give you a little perspective on the recoil. It's still all relative though.

Very seldom have I found the recoil in a pistol intolerable. There has to be something wrong like a sharp edge that physically hurts me.

The second reason is know when to quit. 400 grains  @ 1300 fps plus in not an all day plinking load. It takes concentration, strength and stamina to shoot the big stuff. If you do it too long the gun is going to get away from you and it will try to occupy a space part of your hand or body is in.

I have also been shooting these a long time. The 475 I have is under the first 30 he has built  I had a 500 before that.

To me the 475 is 20-25% more than the 500. By that the recoil is faster and sharper so it seems that much more. The 500 seems about twice of a heavy 300-320 gr 44 magnum.

These are all in a 5 1/2 inch barrel. The best length in my opinion. Not too long, good velocity with most powders. The main reason is you can put a barrel band front sight on. Help keep the ejector screw from shearing and looks damn sexy.

I don't own a 480 but have shot the Ruger. To me it wasn't as bad a heavy 300 plus grain 44 mag but more than a hot factory 240 grain. Foot pounds of recoil may not say that (I couldn't even tell you what they are) but its seems slower over a longer period if that make any sense. To me slower and over a longer period is more comfortable than fast and sharp.

I have a 5 shot conversion on a 4 5/8 Blackhawk. It's on a 45 frame with the factory barrel. I'ts chambered in 454 Casull.  It has the reverse cylinder rotation and an excellent action/trigger job. I'm loath to change it to Bisley frame trigger and hammer its so good. It beats the piss out of me even with heavy Colt loads. Even loads my factory 45 /colt/45 ACP Bisley  can handle fatigues me. Mostly because the handle is too short.

I have a Hunter grip frame that is super length. I think it will make a difference. I have a 357 with a super length frame. My son has a factory Blackhawk. Same barrel length. Mine feels way better balanced. It just enough to get my pinky on and feel like I'm not hanging on for dear life.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the 6.5 inch Blackhawk in 480 Ruger.  I've found that even with heavy loads it's not at all punishing to shoot.  I've shot several 44 magnums with hot loads that were much more unpleasant to shoot.  I did have to build a taller front sight for the 480 to shoot the 400 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 back when the economy was in the toilet.  Picked it up for a song.  The one thing I learned was I prefer single action when it comes to anything larger than .357 Mag.  The heavy loads were not much fun to shoot from the Redhawk.  When I started casting I could drop the charge down to 800-900fps for a more comfortable level.  

Then one day at the range I bumped into a guy who had a custom 475 from Linebaugh.  Even with full house 480 loads his single action was far more comfortable to shoot than my Redhawk.  He let me touch off a cylinder full of the 475.  I think they hurt less than the full house out of the Redhawk.  

The grip of a single action is far superior for recoil mitigation than a double action does.  This is why I sold my Redhawk.  I will stick with my hot loaded 45 Colts since I don't hunt with a handgun here in Nevada.  If I decided to hunt with a handgun the 45 Colt is certainly up to the task.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 back when the economy was in the toilet.  Picked it up for a song.  The one thing I learned was I prefer single action when it comes to anything larger than .357 Mag.  The heavy loads were not much fun to shoot from the Redhawk.  When I started casting I could drop the charge down to 800-900fps for a more comfortable level.  

Then one day at the range I bumped into a guy who had a custom 475 from Linebaugh.  Even with full house 480 loads his single action was far more comfortable to shoot than my Redhawk.  He let me touch off a cylinder full of the 475.  I think they hurt less than the full house out of the Redhawk.  

The grip of a single action is far superior for recoil mitigation than a double action does.  This is why I sold my Redhawk.  I will stick with my hot loaded 45 Colts since I don't hunt with a handgun here in Nevada.  If I decided to hunt with a handgun the 45 Colt is certainly up to the task.
View Quote
I thought it was just me: I much preferred the Blackhawk in .44 Mag, which I sold to "upgrade" for the same chambering in a Super Redhawk. Might have been the different grips, both were factory.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
Holy smokes, that is awesome. I wish Ruger still offered that finish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This makes sense, Ive shot some hot loads that haven't hurt my hand like this Redhawk.  I'm going to swap the grip to see if it helps anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top