Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2017 3:32:35 PM EDT
http://i.imgur.com/tq7oGxK.jpg

7 yards and 50 rounds on each target, aimed at the same center spot and didn't want to make the hole bigger.  I spend more time with the semi autos than my revolver yet the revolver hole is smaller.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Did you shoot it double action?  

Revolvers rock, that's why.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Trigger pull?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot a revolver better myself. I don't know why it be that way but it do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely because the grip fits your hand better.  Handgun shooting is all about grip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I tend to prefer semis but I'll be damned if I don't shoot revolvers better. Shooting double-action revolver has definitely made me a better shooter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Fixed barrel vs short recoil, unlocking barrel makes a difference in mechanical accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Revolvers rock, that's why.
View Quote
Amen to that brother!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I forgot to ask how about at greater ranges - 10-15-20... meters?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I find revolvers in double action much more predictable than any of my striker fired or even my CZ pistols in regards to trigger pull; the exception being my 1911 Commander because it already has the best designed trigger, IMO. YMMV. So OP, I'm pretty much the same way...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have shot for years and still shoot my revolvers more accurately than my semi autos as well....<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Wheel guns are ral guns
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
As a general rule ( of course there are always exceptions!) revolvers are more inherently accurate than autos ( though it should not make a heap of difference at such close range)
I also tend to shoot revolvers more accurately and up to the reload faster than autos as well.
I shoot bullseye competition and use two old smith revolvers, both purchased used for under 300 each. I tend to hold my own against the guys using the fancy euro guns with red dots.
My personal experience I used to shoot a police club match that ran a course of fire that included 18 rounds from 50 yards - while my glock and other modern autos were solid from 25 yards and closer, at 50 the revolver ( a beat up police trade in skinny barrel model 10 ) would hold under 5 inch groups at 50 for the 18 rounds while keeping the glocks inside a foot at that range was something of an accomplishment.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Because you're not pulling the trigger straight back. The longer the trigger pull, the more movement in your shots. Along with you are flinching/anticipating recoil, the low left shots on all your targets.

Put a laser on 1 of those pistols and do some dryfire. The laser dot shouldn't move when you hit the loud button.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Revolver was shot from double action though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Revolver was shot from double action though.
View Quote
That's nice. Perhaps you're concentrating more with the heavier double action pull.

At the end of the day your not pulling the trigger straight back. All 3 targets have a 2 o-clock/8 o-clock line cut in them. That's a sign of jerking & anticipating recoil. Cull those shots out and you're left with a large circle/round hole in the target.

You really want to find out what you're doing print up a bunch of shooting wheels and put a 1" paster in the center of them and hang them up and shoot them. Hitting a 1" dot @ 21ft isn't asking a lot. A 10m/11yd/33ft pellet pistol target has a .45" 10-ring. A 50ft nra pistol target has a .9" 10-ring.

Not being a smart ass, just shot a lot of targets with pistols.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because you're not pulling the trigger straight back. The longer the trigger pull, the more movement in your shots. Along with you are flinching/anticipating recoil, the low left shots on all your targets.
View Quote
I absolutely agree with 3221, you are not pulling the trigger straight back and have to adjust finger placement.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have always felt the shape of the grip made a big difference in my ability to shoot a revolver well. For me the sloped grips of a revolver is far more ergonomic than the more square shape of a semi-auto. This is especially true if I am shooting one handed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a friend that is amazed at how much more accurate he is with his revolvers. I just laugh. He cocks his double action revolvers before discharging them.

How any specific firearm fits the shooter's hand is what I believe determines it's potential for accuracy. That and trigger quality. The firearms I own that feel like they were made for me shoot the best in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I also shoot a revolver better and I believe the answer is the barrel is screwed/pinned to the frame.  Unlike a 1911 or what ever the barrel and frame and slide MUST lock up exactly the same every time to be accurate.  The revolver  is solid.  I have a 60 year old model 10 that will print one hole at 21 feet, I can't do that with two 1911's and two glocks.  the only thing that comes close is a 1940 German Luger.
As an odd thing, my glock 26 shoots way better that my glock 17.  The short barrel locks tighter i guess.
tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top