Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2017 3:25:40 PM EDT
Smith 15-4 is available for $300. Will look it over but assume it's in good shape. Prices on used guns have dropped. Not sure this is as good of a deal as it would have been. Gunbroker has a few completed auctions for $450 so it maybe  a good deal. What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
$300 for virtually ANY Smith and Wesson is a great place to start unless it is totally ragged out. Even  moreso if it is a pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, case hardened trigger and hammer, etc. Check the cylinder for lockup, and slop, make sure it times up properly, and you should be good to go.

ETA: Check the timing as follows. With a finger providing some resistance to rotation, cock the hammer fully to the rear. When the hammer locks back, make sure the cylinder bolt has fallen into place in the notch on the cylinder. It you still need to move the cylinder a little bit then you have a slightly worn "Hand" and it might need replacing. If, on the other hand, with a fully loaded cylinder and a firm and positive cocking motion it drops into the fully locked position then it might not need re-timing. Kind of depends on how picky you are about such things. If the gun is going to be shot A LOT, personally I would re-time it. But then I'm picky about such things. ymmv
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yesterday I paid $325 for a 10-6 and I'm pretty sure it was a great deal.  
Minus $25 for the same gun with target sights?  Yeah, that's a pretty good deal!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a 15 about three years ago for $300 and felt it was a good deal then. Would still jump on one in. Solid mechanical condition at that price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not hesitate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Had rust on the right side of the barrel and cylinder. Quite a bit of bluing worn. I didn't get it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had rust on the right side of the barrel and cylinder. Quite a bit of bluing worn. I didn't get it.
View Quote
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as it wasn't pitted deeply, I'd probably snatch it up for a beater gun. Offer a bit less and fo if so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was the 4 inch I would have passed......2 inch ehhhhhh I may have snagged it.  These things are going up and value and it's crazy all for the adjustable sights?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
meh, I don't know where you guys live, but unless you have really deep pockets and more importantly tons of safe space, I pass on deals like this.   Esp. in today's market a run of the mill smith with major finish issues, I am not sure I would even go $200.  Last year I got an excellent condition 65-5 with 3" bull barrel for $350 plus tax at a LGS.

Finish issues kill collector value and if you just need a spare blaster, you can buy a ton of new or lightly used semi autos for $300 all day long.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure I've seen any smith under 400 for sale locally.  But I could understand why you wouldn't want to pay 300 for a rusty gun.  I might still debate it if it was 250 and wanted it real bad.  Given it was mechanically sound.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Always nice to have some guns that you don't need to worry about marring the finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top