Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2017 11:49:07 AM EDT
My LGS has a well used 36 for sale for $295.  Shows some finish wear from being carried. Hammer has been bobbed, probably at home by the previous owner. Is it still worth the $295 he's asking? Sorry, no pics.

ETA: I fo'd.  Got him down to $250 OTD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Get a new 442 or 642 without the lock for few more $$
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_39_1806/products_id/70713/S%26W+M642+5RD+38SP+%2BP+1.87%22+No+Internal+Lock

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_39_1806/products_id/70712
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds high to me but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets that kind of money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Get a new 442 or 642 without the lock for few more $
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_39_1806/products_id/70713/S%26W+M642+5RD+38SP+%2BP+1.87%22+No+Internal+Lock

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_39_1806/products_id/70712
View Quote
I already have a 442 no lock
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd pass...  if they bobbed the trigger they might have "massaged" the trigger, and on these, that can be bad (you can stone through the hardening, and still have a working trigger, that will eventually wear to a non-working trigger).  With S&Ws I want the work receipts, so I can judge if it was done right. (i.e. for example C&S did a ton of good work on these)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That's high. There's a nickel 36 across the street for $195 I'm thinking about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd be all over that! I never see S&W's for less than $250 regardless of caliber or condition!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd be all over that! I never see S&W's for less than $250 regardless of caliber or condition!
View Quote
Yeah, what the heck.  I never see decent J frame for less than tree fiddy.  

Personally, I'd be all over a bobbed 36.  I would actually prefer it.  I guess if it was not done properly, then yeah, that could be a problem.  But if it was.....  It would be a bonus to me.  If it were me, I might take my chances.  Maybe get him down a little bit because of the massaging.  Unless he proves it was done by someone reputable or a certified armorer.

And malhass, where did he say it had a lock on it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Screw it, i fo'd.  Went back and looked at it again. It's a 36 no dash, the bore looks good, lockup is tight.  The wear wasn't as bad as I thought at first, and the hammer can be cleaned up a little, but isn't all that bad. I ended up walking away for $250 out the door.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no expert on values, but if you ask me, you got a super duper good deal.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTF is there to think about; that is an absolute steal. Go get it right this second!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm no expert on values, but if you ask me, you got a super duper good deal.  I really like it.
View Quote
Thanks. I like it as well, and I think it will make a good companion for my 442.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd probably carry the 36 more.  If it shot well.  Soak up a little recoil.    Although I'm not sure if those few ounces makes that big of a difference or not.  

I'm totally jealous though.  Would love a range report and I'm really curious about how the trigger feels.  I always wondered if a bobbed hammer gives it a lighter feel or not.  Plus I'm always interested in hearing how a J frames trigger is.  My 442's is heaver than I'd like but I'm not sure if I want to mess with it with an APEX.  It's lightened up a little with dry firing, shooting and a bit of oil.  But not that much.  It's still over 12#'s.  Last time I checked.  It's just not into the 13's any longer.  Thank God.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd probably carry the 36 more.  If it shot well.  Soak up a little recoil.    Although I'm not sure if those few ounces makes that big of a difference or not.  

I'm totally jealous though.  Would love a range report and I'm really curious about how the trigger feels.  I always wondered if a bobbed hammer gives it a lighter feel or not.  Plus I'm always interested in hearing how a J frames trigger is.  My 442's is heaver than I'd like but I'm not sure if I want to mess with it with an APEX.  It's lightened up a little with dry firing, shooting and a bit of oil.  But not that much.  It's still over 12#'s.  Last time I checked.  It's just not into the 13's any longer.  Thank God.
View Quote
I shot it last night.  Nothing fancy, didn't shoot it for groups or anything, just did some plinking at cans to make sure it went bang.  Felt recoil was less than my 442, but the trigger was similar, as in heavy, but a little smoother.  Over all I like it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here. There's a no-dash 649 at a pawnshop and they're asking 499 for it. I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow after work and try to cut a deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an old 36. It's a 3" I got from someone who owed me money. The screw on one side under the cylinder works loose every once in awhile. I called Smith and Wesson and gave them the serial number they said to not regularly fire +p in mine.
View Quote
My Model 19 does that.  Just have to tighten it up sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My Model 19 does that.  Just have to tighten it up sometimes.
View Quote
That's the yoke screw. Take it out with the correct sized screw driver and clean the threads up of all gunk and debris. Then get some Purple LocTite and put just a dab on the threads in one spot. Then tighten it down just a hair or two past snug. It shouldn't come out again under recoil or dry firing. I did the same on my 625 "N" frame I had the same problem with every time I shot +P's or .45Super rounds out of it. Since the Purple LocTite the yoke screw has NOT worked lose! Best yet if I ever need to get the yoke screw out again (and I will because I'm installing a Power Custom's cylinder lock and frame plug), I can easily remove it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top