Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 5:44:44 AM EDT
Well i am wanting to buy a revolver and the judge and governor is catching my eye.

I have shot the judge but its been forever ago. I know the governor can run .45 acp as well. but for range shooting the judge in 6" has me liking it plus its a 3" shot shell.

I got some options
1. Get the judge and a 1911 probably gonna be close to a grand total?
2. Get just the judge and save extra money
3.get the governor or 1911 only?
4. Ksg 12 or 24 if its out yet?

Collection so far
12gauge shot gun
Glock 22
Bolt .22
Ar-15
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Why either?

Not a very good revolver and real shitty shotgun.

Better served by getting a Ruger that shoots .45(or old colt or S&W) and forget about the shotgun stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why either?
View Quote
Maybe he's got some snakes that need killin'
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why either?

Better served by getting a Ruger that shoots .45(or old colt or S&W) and forget about the shotgun stuff.
View Quote
I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with the S&W Governor, higher quality gun. Perfect for the ranch, 410 shells for snakes and 45LC for larger animals.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd go with the S&W Governor, higher quality gun. Perfect for the ranch, 410 shells for snakes and 45LC for larger animals.
View Quote
Which is exactly what I did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to eschew these pistols... But after watching Hickock45 do a video of him driving by and shooting a staged car jacker... I realized they are great for that purpose. Then he hits 50+ yard gongs with .45acp's with it round after round and I thought, this Governor concept is actually pretty cool. I would go Smith & Wesson forever over a Taurus anything OP. However, I have not heard anything bad about the Judge. YMMV...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to eschew these pistols... But after watching Hickock45 do a video of him driving by and shooting a staged car jacker... I realized they are great for that purpose. Then he hits 50+ yard gongs with .45acp's with it round after round and I thought, this Governor concept is actually pretty cool. I would go Smith & Wesson forever over a Taurus anything OP. However, I have not heard anything bad about the Judge. YMMV...
View Quote
I've worked on several judges and had friends have to work on some.  Usually rough machining, sometimes burrs in the cylinder ratchet/pawl area.

.410 birdshot on paper looks terrifying, but if you've got a motivated attacker or your window is up or they shield their face with an arm, it's going to sting, and they're going to bleed, but then you're depending on pain compliance vs physically disabling them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the replies i had a sneaky suspicion that the judge may not be a good idea. But I like the price of it.

. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the governor yet. I am hoping if work goes the way my schedule looks I will have friday off. So I will be able go to a gun store and look around.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I might be wrong but is the judge a five shot while the smith holds six? The ability to shoot 45 Colt shotshells and Acp in moon clips makes the smith superior by far.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I might be wrong but is the judge a five shot while the smith holds six? The ability to shoot 45 Colt shotshells and Acp in moon clips makes the smith superior by far.
View Quote
Your right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your right.
View Quote
What's on his right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Dad has one of the 4-inch barrel aluminum frame Judges.  It's been a reliable handgun, light weight and easy to carry.  Fairly accurate with 45 Colt despite the fixed sights.  It's far from the best revolver going but with #8 shot its hell on snakes.  Snake are one of the few areas where it really shines.  Hard to beat if for a light weight close range snake gun.  For just about any other job you would carry a handgun for there are better options.

More of my ramblings, mostly on shooting 410 Buckshot and Slugs in a Judge.
http://mcb-homis.com/judge/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I thoroughly enjoy my governor.  Great for desert hiking, and fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've worked on several judges and had friends have to work on some.  Usually rough machining, sometimes burrs in the cylinder ratchet/pawl area.

.410 birdshot on paper looks terrifying, but if you've got a motivated attacker or your window is up or they shield their face with an arm, it's going to sting, and they're going to bleed, but then you're depending on pain compliance vs physically disabling them.
View Quote

Paper has nothing to do with it. Shotshells are capable of doing horrific damage at carjacking distances.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Paper has nothing to do with it. Shotshells are capable of doing horrific damage at carjacking distances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bird shot is a poor performer for self defense from a shotgun when fired at 1100-1200 fps and payloads more than twice as heavy as a 410.  From a Judge/Governor you going to be down in the 700-800 fps range with ~1/2 oz of shot.  Leave the shot shells for the snakes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bird shot is a poor performer for self defense from a shotgun when fired at 1100-1200 fps and payloads more than twice as heavy as a 410.  From a Judge/Governor you going to be down in the 700-800 fps range with ~1/2 oz of shot.  Leave the shot shells for the snakes.
View Quote

I take it you don't have much experience with shotshells. Bird shot.....BB? #4? #9? All birdshot, all vastly different. Would a skeet load of #9 be a good defense load out of a revolver barrel? Probably not except at very close range, but I'd bet my farm that you won't allow someone to try it on you, will you?

Here's some of that "poor performance" from a shotshell:

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#17]
For a easier to carry pest gun for a farmer or rancher there is some utility.

For the gun guy who has 50 guns of all types and wants "something different" to play with at the range there could be some giggle value.

For any serious use , not so much . Keep in mind these are weird sized handguns with funky chunky balance and feel.

There are so many interesting used guns out there for 1/3 the cost you could buy several and in the end have more fun and a better shooting experience.

If you just want something weird to play with go for it.
Just keep in mind there isn't a one gun covers all bases out there
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I take it you don't have much experience with shotshells. Bird shot.....BB? #4? #9? All birdshot, all vastly different. Would a skeet load of #9 be a good defense load out of a revolver barrel? Probably not except at very close range, but I'd bet my farm that you won't allow someone to try it on you, will you?

Here's some of that "poor performance" from a shotshell:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/12gasubfloor.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/12%20ga%20subfloor%20exit_zpsj4evmgjg.jpg
View Quote
You're are still getting the 

Show me one good study/expert that says shotshells, with any size bird shot from BB down to #12, from any shotgun (let alone a short rifled barrel Judge/Governor) are a good choice for self defense.  Those picture you show are 12 gauge from a full length barrel.  Not only does the 410 shot shell hold less than half as much weight of shot the shot is going much slower as I indicated in my above post.  1200 fps to 800 fps is a 33% lost of velocity and a 55% reduction in energy for each pellet.

I can probably find more stories if I look but there are countless stories of people being shot with bird shot are relatively short ranges and surviving it.  Shot in the upper body and head and survived:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kansas/articles/2017-04-24/turkey-hunter-in-kansas-mistakenly-shoots-brother-and-friend

As for snake medicine a Judge or Governor with 410 shots shells and relatively small shot (7.5, 8, 9) is a good choice probably one of the best choices in handgun form but for two legged critters there are few worst choices than shots shells in a Judge or Governor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're are still getting the 

Show me one good study/expert that says shotshells, with any size bird shot from BB down to #12, from any shotgun (let alone a short rifled barrel Judge/Governor) are a good choice for self defense.  Those picture you show are 12 gauge from a full length barrel.  

Exactly, in response to your absurd notion that:  "Bird shot is a poor performer for self defense from a shotgun when fired at 1100-1200 fps...."
Studies? How about 45+ years of shooting/killing things with shotguns? You can't get that in a youtube video.

Not only does the 410 shot shell hold less than half as much weight of shot the shot is going much slower as I indicated in my above post.  1200 fps to 800 fps is a 33% lost of velocity and a 55% reduction in energy for each pellet.

Right. 1/2 oz. = 218 grs. At 800 fps and close range, it's the rough equivalent of a 45 ACP target load. So why don't you set up a mock carjacking and let someone shoot you with a .410 revolver at arms-length distance? After all it'll just sting, according to you. BTW, when you quote energy figures, you establish fact that you simply don't understand that energy has NOTHING to do with terminal ballistics.

I can probably find more stories if I look but there are countless stories of people being shot with bird shot are relatively short ranges and surviving it.  Shot in the upper body and head and survived:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kansas/articles/2017-04-24/turkey-hunter-in-kansas-mistakenly-shoots-brother-and-friend

I didn't catch how far the victims were when they were shot, or whether they even survived. I did notice however that they were still in the hospital at the time of the article.

I can find stories of people surviving wounds from .38's, .357's, 44.'s, .45's, et al, but that doesn't mean they're poor cartridges for self defense.

As for snake medicine a Judge or Governor with 410 shots shells and relatively small shot (7.5, 8, 9) is a good choice probably one of the best choices in handgun form but for two legged critters there are few worst choices than shots shells in a Judge or Governor.

Again, experience trumps "probably". I've killed several dozen rattlesnakes on and around my property over the last 12+ years, all with handloaded shotshells firing 1/4 to 1/3 oz. of #9 shot at a mere 800-850 fps out of 3" to 4" revolvers.
View Quote
  You'll have to forgive me for not being intimidated by your mean little emoji's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I bought the judge in 3" shot shells

Turns out .410 has some defensive loads?

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

Also I noticed but i am betting that its ammo related used Remington 3 and 2.5
3 was to long (stuck out 1/8" or less but enough to be seen.
2.5 fell out easily vs the Winchester 2.5 and 45lc

Winchester 2.5 fit perfectly
So rocking 3" federal in 7.5 shot (thats all they had gonna buy some bigger shot for it or defensive rounds)
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's on his right?
View Quote
Governor can shoot 45acp
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Well we shot my judge yesterday, I already knew what kind of gun it was prior to and wasn't going to be a nail driver.

Remington .410
3" stuck past chamber
2.5" fell out with ease

Went and got Federal 3" fit perfectly but once fired would not cycle due to open flap sticking in barrel.. had to force cylinder out...

45lc horrible, had to hold way below target a good bit to hit the target at 20yrds (or around it) less recoil then I thought..

I am either gonna keep this thing, or kick it once i get some coin back in either 1911 or another revolver

I like it but I don't like how low I have to hold it lucky my g22 is pretty decent in accuracy
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You'll have to forgive me for not being intimidated by your mean little emoji's.
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9lPgf-tnw

#4 birdshot only gets 4 inches of penetration from a Taurus Judge at nearly point blank range.  There are better choices, many many better choices, for self defense (from two legged critters) than shot shells from a Judge.

Even from a shotgun bird shot is for birds not self defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZf_x8Esms
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]
nhsport pretty much nailed it above, I want one but am waiting for a used one to show up cheap.   I would prefer the Governor, at least you only have to explain away one poor decision vs two if you buy a Taurus.

Unless you are traveling to the snake dimension or solely working your own property where fear of two legged varmints is close to zero, I think you are better off with a revolver shooting .44 or .45 and load the first two cylinders with snake shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you wholeheartedly RDTCU... I carry either a CZ "P-01" or a Smith 625 for CCW these days. However, what you said about terrifying ... yeah being hit in the eyes with bird shot at close range/short barrel scares the shit out if me. Plus you got 4 more shots to put anywhere you can/want on the Perp. The point you bring up about shooting thru auto glass is valid though. You'd want that first shot to be buck for sure. If a Govenor or a Judge is what the OP has his heart on... he could do a lot worse!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the Smith's cylinder is machined to accept Moon's then yeah, it's superior in my opinion. I never knew Moon Clip equipped revolvers were so awesome until I got a 625 back in May. Our range has heavy laminated glass as the partitions. Guys and Gals can see who's shooting and doing what pretty much down the line. I would touch off 6 quick .45acp's on target at 10 yards, and then touch off 6 more within seconds with members watching in disbelief. They obviously were younger/new shooters that had never seen a moon clip reload. My brother timed me. A reload takes the exact same time as that of my 1911; especially with truncated cone hard cast bullets because they find chamber so well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't be shooting anything but the mildest 45 Colt loads in one of those revolvers.

For the .410 shells to fit, the cylinder bores must be machined horribly oversized.
This is not a good recipe for shooting anything but the very lowest pressure 45 Colt loads.

So, IMO, when listing all the wonderful and useful capabilities of the Judge, one should scratch
the ability for shooting 45 Colt.  

For all those bird shot self defense folks.  Look at the ammo oracle section of this website.
There is a wealth of information including gel tests.
You might receive an education regarding appropriate self defense loads for shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why either?

View Quote
Because it's fun, and most of us are probably way past need on guns.  My Judge is one of my last choices for self defense but it's high on fun.  What's not to like in a shotgun revolver?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because it's fun, and most of us are probably way past need on guns.  My Judge is one of my last choices for self defense but it's high on fun.  What's not to like in a shotgun revolver?
View Quote
Out of context, I agree. I've got some "useless" fun guns that I have no need for. Just looking at OP's list, other things trump the judge, like a solid big bore revolver.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP has 4 guns. If I had 4 AR's I would feel like I was low on AR's.

I owned a Governor at one time when I was young and dumb, it's not a practical gun at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well we shot my judge yesterday, I already knew what kind of gun it was prior to and wasn't going to be a nail driver.

Remington .410
3" stuck past chamber
2.5" fell out with ease

Went and got Federal 3" fit perfectly but once fired would not cycle due to open flap sticking in barrel.. had to force cylinder out...

45lc horrible, had to hold way below target a good bit to hit the target at 20yrds (or around it) less recoil then I thought..

I am either gonna keep this thing, or kick it once i get some coin back in either 1911 or another revolver

I like it but I don't like how low I have to hold it lucky my g22 is pretty decent in accuracy
View Quote
Doesn't sound like you don't have a 3" gun if that's the case.  Shotguns are measured w/ the case fired, not loaded, and it's easy to chamber a cartridge that's too long if you're not careful. 
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I owned a Governor at one time when I was young and dumb, it's not a practical gun at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got the basics covered.  There's room in there for a fun gun.   I'll bet the fun guns get more use w/ a lot of people than the practical ones.   If nothing else they're an excuse to go to the range w/ the other guns, or they're bait to get someone who doesn't shoot to try one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top