Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 9:28:55 PM EDT
Had an 80 year old gentleman walking around today with several .22LR rifles and this S&W 36-1. We dickered around on price a bit. He wanted $450, we settled on $400 on a private sale, no sales tax nor background check fee.

While it's not 100%, it's not bad. But what I wanted was it is a 3" bbl, not too common, IMO. I'll be putting some rosewood finger groove grips on it down the road to dress it up a bit.

I may never shoot it nor carry it, but I now have my longed after 3" bbl S&W.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you did well with that deal. Nice snag on a 3in J frame in very good shape.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Damned nice, but it, and us, deserves a better photo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got it's stainless twin for the same price.....
I think we both did ok.
Round or square butt? I can't tell by your pic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got it's stainless twin for the same price.....
I think we both did ok.
Round or square butt? I can't tell by your pic.
View Quote
Better pics up now.

Square butt, but I prefer round.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Better pics up now.

View Quote

Looks round to me.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better pics up now.

Looks round to me.

http://store.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/products/zoom_lg/butt_sq_rnd_lg.jpg
Correct. That is a 'round' butt. Please keep the original stocks set aside for it somewhere. Vintage S&W geeks like me will pay much more if it still has the originals. Definitely good to keep them put away if you're going to be firing it, as they are the first thing to show wear. Nice score.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice!

Quoted:

Correct. That is a 'round' butt. Please keep the original stocks set aside for it somewhere. Vintage S&W geeks like me will pay much more if it still has the originals. Definitely good to keep them put away if you're going to be firing it, as they are the first thing to show wear. Nice score.
View Quote
This.

You can pick up some from altamont that has a similar look, though they are a laminate. You can get medallions as well.
I've nearly got all mine converted over to the look alike grips.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice!

This.

You can pick up some from altamont that has a similar look, though they are a laminate. You can get medallions as well.
View Quote
Yes, I've got rosewood grips on virtually all of my revolvers. They really make the blued guns look good.

I guess it is a round butt, I obviously didn't look at it closely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
This gun is begging for ivory or bone grips!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This gun is begging for ivory or bone grips!
View Quote
Uhmmmmmmm, no.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You did good. I bought (2) "J" frame snubs, both in mint condition for $600 each earlier this year. The 3" barreled version are not nearly as common. A little TLC, and a grip swap to some Altamont "Combats" and you have a very nice vintage revolver that you will be able to pass down to the grandchildren. Good score, especially for $400...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better pics up now.

Looks round to me.

http://store.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/products/zoom_lg/butt_sq_rnd_lg.jpg
This! I have (2) mint pairs of "Magna's" hanging on my gun bench wall along with a pair of original Colt Agent grips. They are pretty but they suck for shooting even with powder puff loads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice!
This.

View Quote
The Altamont's work/look/feel and conceal really well in a DeSantis front pocket holster or on my side in a Galco OWB holster... I love the look of the stock Magna's but if you are going to practice to get good to carry a "J" frame you are going to want something more user friendly, especially with carry loads.
Before:

After:
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Just my two cents, but rosewood just got listed as an endangered species in January so actual rosewood(which is in reality like 30 different species) might be harder to get. and if you ever take out of country you could have the revolver seized for that(though taking a handgun out of country ...)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just my two cents, but rosewood just got listed as an endangered species in January so actual rosewood(which is in reality like 30 different species) might be harder to get. and if you ever take out of country you could have the revolver seized for that(though taking a handgun out of country ...)
View Quote
Dude, I rarely leave the state...........  

I plan on getting these below. Of course I'll get the ones that properly fit. These are for a K-frame (I think).

While I appreciate all the suggestions, I have something like 20 S&W revolvers now, including many not-so-common ones. All have rosewood grips.

These:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
You wanna buy my set of factory laminated wood ones?  

Make me an offer.........

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Make me an offer.........
View Quote
Tree fiddy............    
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#20]
No, for just the grips silly.  Or do you mean 3 dollars and 50 cents?  LOL.  Ah no.  Seriously though, it you want them, I would be willing to sell them to you below retail.  They're pretty much brand new.  My Step Dad did have them on there for a little while but I don't think they even have any dings, dents or scratches.  

Aren't they pretty?  

I will say this, just to show you I'm not trying to scam you or something.  They look and feel good in the hand, but when I shoot with them, how smooth they are is a no go for me.  Slips too easily for me under recoil.

If you're interested, give me an email.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, for just the grips silly.  Or do you mean 3 dollars and 50 cents?  LOL.  Ah no.  
View Quote
Thanks, but no thanks. That color scheme is not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear ya.  

You've got a cool revolver there though.  We need a ranger report.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I plan on getting these below. Of course I'll get the ones that properly fit. These are for a K-frame (I think).

While I appreciate all the suggestions, I have something like 20 S&W revolvers now, including many not-so-common ones. All have rosewood grips.

These:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15596/grips-286723.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15596/grips-286723.JPG
I have those grips on my k frame.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top