BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't wait too long! They ain't getting any cheaper!

My 1976 29-2 6-1/2" and 1980 29-2 4"

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91672/010-274640.JPG
View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for S&W
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheapest way to get into a good .44 Mag is also the toughest.

I'd feel confident that I could use the damn thing for a hammer and immediately stop a charging asshole right afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can swing the extra $$$ the Performance Center .44 magnums are REALLY nice.  I absolutely love mine and the trigger is amazing.  Is this the gun I would carry into the bear woods? Nope, they aren't designed to handle the kind of ammunition for such things but for everything else it is awesome! And, no, I don't care about the lock.  I'd rather it wasn't there but I'm not passing on a great gun just because of that.  I don't even think about it.  I love the looks and the performance of this S&W but I definitely want a 4" stainless Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum to go with it for those days when you just want to shoot something that is going to make you wish you hadn't lol.  

Still trying to figure out how to post pics from Flickr without the long tag hanging out.
IMG_0181_zps54260412
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 6" Blued Dan Wesson .44 mag, and it's a great gun, those 744's pictured above look fantastic.

I recently got my long time (35 years since I had one) S&W N frame fix when I bought a very nice 28-2:

I shot a Ruger Redhawk recently, seemed like a nice gun, but I just can't get past the looks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't have anymore .44 Mag guns since I gave my son my 29-2 6.5".  Did take one 250 lb hog with it with 240gr LSWC.  I enjoy the .41 Magnum guns (reload and cast for).

He did give me this tupperware gun in exchange for it (he came back from Iraq and I from Afghanistan)

CD
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The Ruger will respond very well to a little trigger work.  My GP-100 has a trigger that rivals my colt and smith revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged because I'll be 44 in February and find myself wanting a .44 Magnum to commemorate the year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had a 629 6" for a few months now and I love it. It's a fierce gun and takes some getting used to but I absolutly love it. Honestly the only thing I'd change was make it pre-lock and blued. But I carry mine in the woods for animal protection so the stainless finish makes more sense. Based on the research I did it seems the Rugers might be stronger if your shooting a ton of stout loads. But IMO the Big Smith looks 100% better and is the classic big bore revolver. That's my .02
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned many 44 Magnums over the years.   For range fun, I would get the Ruger Super Blackhawk and send it to Mag-Na-Port.   Have them port it and do an action job.   The porting really works on a single action.   Recoil seems about half to me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a ruger redhawk long ago, due to frame design I do not like it.  With some of today's versions it might be better, but it has a regular grip frame instead of the post style the sp101, gp100, and super redhawk have.

I now own a super redhawk, happy with it.  Not a great trigger but not too shabby in my opinion and being it is new production I don't worry about it very much.

Yeah the pre-lock s&w stuff is awesome but I halfway wonder about investment value vs. using it.  Never had an issue with it.

I like the ruger single actions, only had super blackhawks but would consider vaquero or bisley as well if I ran into em.

Everyone has to decide what they expect or want.

The weight of the super redhawk, I got a toklat so 5 inch or so barrel, winds up working for me.  The toklat is a 454 casull but I consider mine much more of a 45 colt than 454 casull cause that is what I enjoy shooting in it more.  Working on getting 454 casull reloading stuff and will play with it as well.  Never felt like cutting down a factory 44mag super redhawk due to cost and timeframe.  Toklat was bought day I ran into it in a store.

And being the grip design is the post type, I like the grip a lot more than what my ruger redhawk had a couple decades ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I absolutely love my S&W 69. Had the barrel ported so very manageable.

Loud as crap though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top