Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2017 11:12:08 PM EDT
So, I currently own a GP100 .357 and XDS 4.0 9mm as my EDC. I have been debating a new pistol for some time (full size 9mm or snubbie). I think I've narrowed it down to getting a snubbie instead of the full size 9mm as a deeper carry option.

Now on to the LCR(x). I was debating between the 9mm and the .38 +p for the most part. I have a bunch of Fedeal HSTS I would carry in the 9mm.

Looking to carry the lcr as an ankle gun (especially on road trips), possible pocket gun and appendix iwb.

I have never shot an LCR or any snubbie for that matter. Just loo king of some thoughts and insight into my POU.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
From reading data on the rounds the .327 is great out of a snubbie. Better than .357 mag and .38 as smaller diameter burns the powered better and a lot less of muzzle flash. Yet has has ballistics as .38+p with less recoil. And pretty much anything has less recoil than a .357mag until you get to the newer round after .454 Casul like the .460SW and others in the .50 range. At least what I have ready online. Yet price per round is higher and not sure there is stuff out there to reload it. Haven't looked into it yet although seems likes a good wildcat type of round. Like the 22TCM. And guess you could say the 357sig.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the poster above that the .327 is a great round in a snub, however the .327 is only available in the regular LCR and not the LCRx which you are inquiring about.

Also, keep in mind that the LCRx variants chambered in 9mm, .357, and .22WMR all have steel frames, and are heavier than the .38 and .22LR versions.

--

With all that out of the way, I would go with the .38 variant unless a .327 version is released.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with the poster above that the .327 is a great round in a snub, however the .327 is only available in the regular LCR and not the LCRx which you are inquiring about.

Also, keep in mind that the LCRx variants chambered in 9mm, .357, and .22WMR all have steel frames, and are heavier than the .38 and .22LR versions.

--

With all that out of the way, I would go with the .38 variant unless a .327 version is released.
View Quote
Didn't catch that. So many models with so close of a name. I also saw the other day that Ruger makes a rifle in the .327 mag. Might be something to look at for small game up to white tail deer instead of .223/5.56. Although just say a post of it so not sure how well it preforms. Will have to wait and see. I know a .357mag Henry is good enough to hunt most deer here in Texas as is a .223/5.56.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an LCR in 9mm. It's entertaining to shoot to say the least. I shoot primarily 9mm. This was the first revolver I'd ever shot chambered in 9mm and I was quite surprised as the ass 9mm has behind it when the energy isn't used for cycling. Very light, of course good caliber with constant development and easy to pocket carry. The moon clips are both a blessing and a curse. It's really fast to reload, but carrying moon clips in your pocket isn't so easy. They bend easily and the rounds can come out of their respective slots. 
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#5]

For that gun, I'd go 38 SPL +P, unless you are trying to limit your ammo stores to 1 cartridge chambering.

For 38 SPL +P, ammo runs mild to wild.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Granted, I have the 3" barrel LRCx in .38SPL, but the biggest advantage is weight...it barely registers in the hand.  One thing to note is that the 9mm version (right now) only come with the shrouded hammer, the regular LCR.  So, if the exposed hammer is your preference, 9mm is kind of off the table.  Additionally, the weight differences are pretty significant: LCRx .38SPL = 13.5oz; the LCR 9mm is 17.2oz (the .357 mag versions are both 17.1oz).  

One thing is for certain, that trigger is butter smooth with DA and very crisp on SA.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the responsors guys. I forgot to subscribe to my own thread so I didn't see them until now haha.

I have mixed feelings between the lcrx and lcr....front ankle carry. To pocket carry in a coat etc. The lcr seems better for those purposes but I sure do like the hammer option. I would most likely want to stay with .38+p or 9mm and stay away from .327 just fror the si m please fact I already reload those two (and .357 mag). I have a healthy stash of federal Hst for 9mm and for .38 +p i am waiting for federal LSWCHP  158 grain to show itself so I can grab. Few boxes for my GP and lcr if I get it .

I love the trigger on the LCR that is what had my considering it over the SP101, SW 442 etc..

Right now I can really only get one pistol and I'm torn! G19 blue label.....LCR... or a 9mm Citadel  1911 I found locally for a good price that my wife would enjoy shooting. It's a hard decision haha.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps a little reading/studying on different short bbl'd firearms and what they do in the real world would help.

When looking at 9mm snub nosed loads/data keep in mind that you're going to loose 10fps due to the long cylinder and 10fps for every 1/1000th of cylinder gap.
A 2" bbl's 9mm revolver is = to a 3" bbl'd semi-aout (semi-auto bbl has 1" chamber and 2" of actual bbl. So when you see 9mm data for a 3" bbl'd semi-auto 9mm you can pretty much expect 40fps/50fps less for a 2" bbl'd revolver.

50fps less doesn't sound like much but in short bbl'd firearms that's huge.

A link to ballistics by the inch, just something to get an idea of what happens with shorter bbl's.
bbi

Another link that tested factory 357 & 38spl sd ammo in 2" and 4 " barrels. Real world results.
38spl/357 sd ammo

More interesting reading
brass fetcher

I've owned/used/shot a lot of different snubnosed revolvers over the decades. Still have 2 to this day, a 38sp and a 44spl. 1000fps with any bullet tends to be the gold standard. Buffalo bore has a 1000fps/158gr swc hp load that has been tested and does 1000fps in 2" bbl'd revolvers. In 2012 Brian Pearce did an article in handloader magazine (#276) testing the short bbl'd lcr/38spl. He tested several brands of ammo and his results mirrored the lucky gunner link above. He also tested the bb load and it did 1000fps in the lcr he was using. He also tested reloads and using 6.3gr of power pistol and a 158gr rimrock gc swc hp he was able to duplicate the buffalo bore/1000fps snubnosed revolver load.

I use a 1000fps/158gr hp load in my snub nosed 2" revolver.

The snub nosed 44spl is in a class by itself. It's a charter arms bulldog that weighs 21oz and it flat out hits hard. I switch between these loads depending on the time of year. Winter heavy cloths ='s penetration, summer ='s hp and expansion.

The fbi had a 38spl/158gr hollow based hollow pointed swc lead bullet for their treasury load.
Buffalo bore has a 1000fps snubnosed revolver load for the 38spl

I use a 210gr hollow based hollow pointed swc lead bullet that does 1000fps in a snubnosed 44spl. This is the summer/warm weather load
158gr/1000fps vs 210gr/1000fps

That 185gr bullet doing 1040fps load in the lower right corner went thru 12" of tightly bundled newspaper that had been soaked overnight.

I'm not bragging or being a smart ass. But just because you have a bunch of a specif brand/type of ammo means you're going to leave it for someone else to burn up if it isn't  worth a shit in short bbl'd firearm.

I carried the snubnosed 44spl's for 3+ decades for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Perhaps a little reading/studying on different short bbl'd firearms and what they do in the real world would help.

When looking at 9mm snub nosed loads/data keep in mind that you're going to loose 10fps due to the long cylinder and 10fps for every 1/1000th of cylinder gap.
A 2" bbl's 9mm revolver is = to a 3" bbl'd semi-aout (semi-auto bbl has 1" chamber and 2" of actual bbl. So when you see 9mm data for a 3" bbl'd semi-auto 9mm you can pretty much expect 40fps/50fps less for a 2" bbl'd revolver.

A link to ballistics by the inch, just something to get an idea of what happens with shorter bbl's.
bbi

Another link that tested factory 357 & 38spl sd ammo in 2" and 4 " barrels. Real world results.
38spl/357 sd ammo

More interesting reading
brass fetcher

I've owned/used/shot a lot of different snubnosed revolvers over the decades. Still have 2 to this day, a 38sp and a 44spl. 1000fps with any bullet tends to be the gold standard. Buffalo bore has a 1000fps/158gr swc hp load that has been tested and does 1000fps in 2" bbl'd revolvers. In 2012 Brian Pearce did an article in handloader magazine (#276) testing the short bbl'd lcr/38spl. He tested several brands of ammo and his results mirrored the lucky gunner link above. He also tested the bb load and it did 1000fps in the lcr he was using. He also tested reloads and using 6.3gr of power pistol and a 158gr rimrock gc swc hp he was able to duplicate the buffalo bore/1000fps snubnosed revolver load.

The snub nosed 44spl is in a class by itself. It's a charter arms bulldog that weighs 21oz and it flat out hits hard. I switch between these loads depending on the time of year. Winter heavy cloths ='s penetration, summer ='s hp and expansion.
http://i.imgur.com/si35Jmp.jpg

The fbi had a 38spl/158gr hollow based hollow pointed swc lead bullet for their treasury load.

I use a 210gr hollow based hollow pointed swc lead bullet that does 1000fps in a snubnosed 44spl. This is the summer/warm weather load

That 185gr bullet doing 1040fps load in the lower right corner went thru 12" of tightly bundled newspaper that had been soaked overnight.

I'm not bragging or being a smart ass. But just because you have a bunch of a specif brand/type of ammo means you're going to leave it for someone else to burn up if it isn't  worth a shit in short bbl'd firearm.

View Quote
Thanks for those links and the information. Its all very interesting for sure and gives me more to consider.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Look for a used one but it will likely be a .38, they seem to be the most popular model.

Picked this up for $275 the other day via private sale. Looks damn near brand new to my eye. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
That'd a steal of a price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I hear 9mm is significantly more stiff out of snubby, recoil wise.  Or more.  Not sure if that's compared to plus p.  But that's what I like about .38.  You got wadcutters up to +p gold dots with stuff inbetween.  You choose.   And they eject better or don't need moonclips.  But have the option of using moonclips if you want.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I've decided on the .38+p for my snubby. Now am trying to decide between a LCR/LCRX and SW 442/642....Shot the 442 and liked it but only imagine what the LCR is like from what I have read. I have put hands on it in the store but have never shot it.

Have found the LCRx for $319 on grabagun, and the Smiths for $325-$350. The regular LCR is $365.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
642 for $319 @ Keely Arms

I have done business with them before and they are good people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I was looking for a .38 LCR and found a used .357 LCR that had about 50 rounds through it for 400. Yes, high, but behind the wall it was reasonable. I do like the option of .357, even though I never shoot or carry it. .357 sucks from a snubbie. I personally didn't even consider the Smith as I could not find a pre lock, and all my other Ruger revolvers are like tanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm gonna be the wrench in the gears.  I'm a totally snubby guy, probably realistically have 35.  If you actually do plan to carry it on a regular basis I'd REALLY consider looking into the 327.  Awesome ballistics and an additional round.

Finding ammo isn't as easy but is no real special task.  The only place your gonna take a real hit is resale.

Edit: looks like post two was the wrench.  I'm more like the post that talks about the wrench in the gears
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was looking for a .38 LCR and found a used .357 LCR that had about 50 rounds through it for 400. Yes, high, but behind the wall it was reasonable. I do like the option of .357, even though I never shoot or carry it. .357 sucks from a snubbie. I personally didn't even consider the Smith as I could not find a pre lock, and all my other Ruger revolvers are like tanks.
View Quote
For those of us not living in CA you can still buy a brand new 642/442 from S&W new without the lock.  It is two of only 3 or 4 J-frames that S&W still make without the lock.  I have a 442 Moonclip from just a couple years ago that does not have the lock and is cut for moonclips.  MOONCLIPS RULE!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd definitely pay a little more for the 442 Pro. Moonclips and a J frame with an action job from someone that knows their way around them is the pinnacle of a snub nose 5 shot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For those of us not living in CA you can still buy a brand new 642/442 from S&W new without the lock.  It is two of only 3 or 4 J-frames that S&W still make without the lock.  I have a 442 Moonclip from just a couple years ago that does not have the lock and is cut for moonclips.  MOONCLIPS RULE!
View Quote
MoonClips are what I wish all my revolvers were machined for. My 625 is chambered for .45acp/Super is a MoonClip equipped revolver... and loading/reloading and ejection is stupid easy with MoonClips IMO... It makes a revolver quick and a very viable option in the world where pocket semi-auto's have been just about perfected. I'm thinking of having both my 70's "J" frames machined to take Moons. I've been conceal carrying the 625 more and more lately in addition to being a dedicated "Woods Gun." Putting a couple MoonClip reloads in my front pants pocket is easily doable and comfortable.

As to the caliber question OP; good job on picking .38Special. I carry the Buffalo Bore LSWCHP Soft Cast +P's in mine. They are far from punishing with aftermarket grips and provide plenty of smack down for a CCW weapon. But there are also plenty of other loads that are great options as well like the 135gr Gold Dot's...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

bbi

38spl/357 sd ammo

More interesting reading
brass fetcher

http://i.imgur.com/si35Jmp.jpg

View Quote
.44Special at those velocity does a lot of damage to bone and flesh. I'd have zero problem carrying 210gr HBHP SWC load @ 1,000fps anywhere! A hard cast TC bullet at that velocity makes for a good woods load!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Well it looks like this thread if pretty much wrapped up, but I want to put a little bit of actual knowledge out there, instead of speculation/I read online.

I am a big fan of unconventional calibers, especially in revolvers. I have CCWed a 2.5" .357 K-frame, a 2.25" 9mm SP101, a 3" .327 Fed Mag, a 1.875" .32 H&R Magnum, and a 1.875" .38 Spl. Since this thread is particularly about 9mm/.327, I'll start there.

The 9mm in a revolver is a beast completely different from a semi-auto, it was stated you get less velocity out a 2" 9mm revolver than a 3" Semi. This is wrong, believe it or not, the SP101 I tested had about 50-75fps more than the 3.3" semi-auto I was using. I tested this over various ammo, all from the same lot. Every single time, the 9mm revolver packed more velocity than the semi, this was especially true when it came to the heavier 147gr stuff, HST (non +P) was about 75fps faster out of the revolver, this number went down with the lighter ammo, but was still higher than the semi.

The upside of 9mm, you can consolidate calibers, and you can carry the same ammo you would in your other 9mm, 9mm also has a lot of great, well tested SD ammo.
The downside, 9mm is VERY snappy in a revolver, I was shooting this out of a 25oz+ SP101, and it was comparable to .38spl +P out of an airweight.
The moon clips are also good and bad, good because they reload quickly, bad because they're a pain to carry.

.327 Magnum has been one of my favorite cartridges since it came out, I've owned about half a dozen different revolvers in the chambering, and still absolutely love it, that being said, I don't carry it. The .327 was originally designed solely around the 3" barrel, powder was specifically mixed to completely burn in 3" and give it the maximum speed possible. The revolvers are all steel, so if you decide to carry it, you'll notice the additional bulk. That being said, the additional bulk of the revolver helps keep the recoil down. In my 3" 24.5oz J-Frame, I would compare heavy SD ammo to SD ammo in an airweight snubbie, although the .327 does 'snap' more.

The upside of .327, you get a revolver that can fire 5 different cartridges, you get an additional round over ~.35 caliber revolvers.
The downside, .327 ammo is harder to find, ammo tends to be somewhat pricey, the muzzle blast is significant from full bore SD loads.

I use to solely carry my .32H&R Mag 332, the gun weighs next to nothing and carries 6 rounds, however, even the best SD ammo is NOT well tested, and recoil is absolutely brutal. Mostly because of the ammo issue, I carry my .38spl 442 Pro with 135gr GDHP-SB. I find this gives the best of all worlds, you get a small, light weight, highly concealable gun, with known, effective ammo choice.

ETA: I will add, I retired my J-frames from EDC for a 9mm Shield, I do still carry my J-frames, but it's not typical, as I prefer the Shield over them, but that's not for argument here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#22]
The only advantage I see to a J-frame in 9mm is if you are trying to caliber consolidate.  There are not many other advantages.  357 Magnum is more versatile and 38 Special is more shoot-able.  If they actually made a short cylinder and frame (like the old I-frame 38S&W guns) to match the short length of the 9mm cartridge you might have something but they just run 9mm chambers into a 357 magnum length cylinder and blah nothing special.  They could shorten the cylinder by ~3/8 of inch and lengthen the barrel by the same amount and have a revolver with the same overall size of a J-frame with less bulk and weight.  That might be special.  As it is the only current production revolver actually sized for 9mm is the Korth/Nighthawk Skyhawk and that thing make a Webley look sexy.

Carrying a moonclips for a J-frame is more convenient than a Speedloader IMHO.  That said I frequently load mine with a moonclip and just carry a speed strip for the unlikely reload.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I've owned, shot, and carried as primary and BUG small revolvers on and off duty for 20+ years.

I've worked plain clothes most of my career and routinely used an Airweight or Airlite S&W J-frame.

I own a LCR with XS front night sight and it's been my only non S&W revolver.

I always recommend.38 spl in these guns and carry .38 even in my magnum chambered J-frames.

I'm not recoil sensitive but .357 is for my K and L framed guns not for an emergency BUG.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top