Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2017 11:31:49 AM EDT
Trying to get a current value on a 95-98% model 14-3
Book value i am getting is 400ish but Gunbroker and other sources are showing 600s
Im buying from a friend and want to make sure the price is fair
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The six inch 38's are tough to value.  They're not nearly popular as they once were; it's pretty much a bulls-eye gun and not many play that game anymore.  They're tough to move and the price reflects that.  $500 to $600 is a fair range.  Don't expect a lot of upside tho.  If you buy it you'll probably own it for a long time.  Earlier Smiths are going up in value but the 14's are lagging the market.  Most want four inch guns or magnums.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot a 14 in bullseye competition and keep pace with the fancy 1911's with optics. They are a great gun for the intended purpose- shooting accurately in non action disciplines. Mine can shoot sub 3" fifty yard groups.
Understanding what they are and what they do best and they will give you years of enjoyment!
I would do a friend price of $450.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The six inch 38's are tough to value.  They're not nearly popular as they once were; it's pretty much a bulls-eye gun and not many play that game anymore.  They're tough to move and the price reflects that.  $500 to $600 is a fair range.  Don't expect a lot of upside tho.  If you buy it you'll probably own it for a long time.  Earlier Smiths are going up in value but the 14's are lagging the market.  Most want four inch guns or magnums.
View Quote

Depending on condition, $450-$500 can be a good price.

That being said, I figure part of the reason why the .38 Special revolvers aren't as popular now a days is because....
If someone asked me (about a revolver for targets and SD), I'd recommend a Mod 66 4" in SS.   Or, the larger L frame.   But if someone still wanted a .38 Special, I'd steer them towards a Mod 15.   Of course every revolver without the, "Hilliary Hole."

I'd leave the Mod 14s to the 2700 Match Bulls Eye shooters to enjoy.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The most accurate revolver I've ever shot was a S&W M14 with a 6" barrel.  Quarter sized 5 shot groups at 25 yds. with good HBWC loads.  Awesome.  Sometimes I wonder if my old buddy still has that gun or if his wife somehow made him give it up (married an awful girl that all of his friends pretty much feel destroyed his life).

I used to say, if I ever ran across one at a gun show for a good price, I'd buy it.  Great target pistol and (again, with the right loads) would be a great woods gun for small game - not a good .22 won't do the same thing).
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
As always, depends on condition and extras, box, papers, tools etc.

If it is a factory single action only with provenance, like original box stating such it'd be $700-800 pretty easy around here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up trading a XDM9 for it. it doesnt have the box. Also once I had it in hand I was able to figure out its actually a K38. Production year i'm thinking is the early 50's but still trying to date it
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up trading a XDM9 for it. it doesnt have the box. Also once I had it in hand I was able to figure out its actually a K38. Production year i'm thinking is the early 50's but still trying to date it
View Quote
Dude, you got a steal, IMO.

Allow me to suggest you shoot wadcutters out of it. Amazing accuracy & minimal recoil that will be kind to the kind of that value.

It baffles me why so many in here have poo-poo'd the 14. I love shooting mine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn, sweet trade! And I like my XDM9.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
They are great guns.  Mine's a bit earlier (K38) but besides the number of screws, the same gun.

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are great guns.  Mine's a bit earlier (K38) but besides the number of screws, the same gun.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/elduderino36/DSC_1747_zpsadyjnamq.jpg
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top