Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
I'll see how I like them.  I don't like how they don't cover the backstrap all the way.  I had seen some this style of pachmyr that do, and some that don't.  At least I thought I saw that.  Or maybe they just cover the backstrap of the models with a hammer.  It does feel good and I feel like I have a bit more trigger control than with the Hogue Tamer grips for some reason.  I'll have to see how it is shooting.  

Plus I took a white paint pen to the front sight.  Not sure if I'll like that for sure or not.   Figured I'd give it a try.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Was expecting a classic car thread, but now I see it's in the revolver forum. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never owned and Oldsmobile in my entire life.  But I wouldn't mind a 442 to go along with my 442.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Not the 4 cylinder one from the 80s.
The Mechanics at local dealer in Junction City KS said it was pulling hard at 150 when governor kicked in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I noted that the firing pin was staying in the forward position on my blued 442 (I also have an old nickle plated 442 that was a retired NYPD Detective's gun, that my wife usually carries). I was not sure if it was a bur or what.

Ends up the firing pin had broken into two pieces.

S&W sent me a new one, which I installed.

I have been carrying this gun since 2000, and now it is back in action.

As far as I am concerned Crimson Trace are the single best accessory for the little guns.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noted that the firing pin was staying in the forward position on my blued 442 (I also have an old nickle plated 442 that was a retired NYPD Detective's gun, that my wife usually carries). I was not sure if it was a bur or what.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/photo%2014_zpspkjhilsp.jpg

Ends up the firing pin had broken into two pieces.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/IMG_0993_zps01oqffih.jpg

S&W sent me a new one, which I installed.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/IMG_0992_zpsxg8od0cg.jpg

I have been carrying this gun since 2000, and now it is back in action.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/FullSizeRender%2013_zpse2iy7tcj.jpg

As far as I am concerned Crimson Trace are the single best accessory for the little guns.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/001-19.jpg
View Quote
That pocket holster.... Who made it?  Do they have elephant leather???
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll see how I like them.  I don't like how they don't cover the backstrap all the way.  I had seen some this style of pachmyr that do, and some that don't.  At least I thought I saw that.  Or maybe they just cover the backstrap of the models with a hammer.  It does feel good and I feel like I have a bit more trigger control than with the Hogue Tamer grips for some reason.  I'll have to see how it is shooting.  

Plus I took a white paint pen to the front sight.  Not sure if I'll like that for sure or not.   Figured I'd give it a try.  

http://i.imgur.com/phQ10PT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gjQvGmL.jpg
View Quote

Those are the same grips I have on my 442 and are the best grips of many that I've tried. Now add some fluorescent orange on top of that white!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Those are the same grips I have on my 442 and are the best grips of many that I've tried. Now add some fluorescent orange on top of that white!
View Quote
Yeah, I think you are right about the orange.  I do like the grips.  But they might print a hair more then that tamers.  I wish there was some kind of inbetween size of a boot grip and these.  But one that covers the backstrap some.  

These do feel really good and I'm looking forward to shooting it with them on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Those grips are just like the one that I have installed on my S&W M60.

It certainly helps a lot with the recoil of +P ammo vs the factory wood grips that I got back in the late 70s.  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a Milt Sparks pocket rig made from Stingray. I do not believe they carry elephant, but am not 100% on that. Give them a shout. Outstanding holster company and great guys in general.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the 442's  but could never find a night sight front for one.

Ended up with the Ruger LCR instead.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a PC 442, Model is a 460. Mine came with Secret Service wood grips which look a helluva lot better than the rubber ones, IMO. Never had any issues with felt recoil with them either.

These guns are surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a PC 442, Model is a 460. Mine came with Secret Service wood grips which look a helluva lot better than the rubber ones, IMO. Never had any issues with felt recoil with them either.

These guns are surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel.
View Quote
You got pics of that bad boy?  I've never heard of that type of grip before.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the 442's  but could never find a night sight front for one.

Ended up with the Ruger LCR instead.

View Quote
XS Big Dots
XS makes Big Dot and standard dot night sights for J-Frames with either the fixed front sight or pinned front sight.
I'm putting the Big Dot on my 342PD soon
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was expecting a classic car thread, but now I see it's in the revolver forum. Oh well.
View Quote
Lol

I fell for it too.

Interesting idea op.  Does the larger grip disrupt concealment,  or maybe more importantly,  drawing from concealment?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You got pics of that bad boy?  I've never heard of that type of grip before.
View Quote
S&W has them on their web site store, IIRC? Sorry, I don't have pics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol

I fell for it too.

Interesting idea op.  Does the larger grip disrupt concealment,  or maybe more importantly,  drawing from concealment?
View Quote
I've been carrying AIWB.  So, it will print more than a boot grip.  But I typically didn't have a boot grip on it.  I was using the Hogue Tamers.  These feel a bit better, but are a bit wider at the bottom.  The hogue conceals just a tiny smidge better.  A boot grip conceals tons better, but I'm not real fond of boot grips.  It places my thumb in a spot that can get in the way of my trigger finger sometimes.  I wrap 4 or 5 rubber bands around it, if I'm using the boot grips, to help alleviate that situation.  

But to answer your "more important point", the Hogue Tamer and this Pachmyr grip are WAAAAAY better for drawing from concealment.  I can grab it much easier.  This one might be a hair better because no finger grooves.  But admittedly, the Tamer grips, at least for the J frame, feel like they were made for my hand.   Boot grips take a bit more.... focus, to grab it good.  

When I ordered it I was thinking this pachmyr grip was going to be a bit smaller than the Hogues by looking at pics, but they're not.  But my Mom has a Bodyguard .38 she wants better grips on and I was going to put the Tamer grips on hers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#17]
OP:  wouldn't that really be a "buttlift" rather than a "facelift"?

Rob
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I put some white nail polish on my S&W 36 front sight as a base color for some orange polish that I thought I had (can't find it now) so I've left it white for the time being. I don't care for it as it almost ends up reflecting the predominate ambient color of where I'm at in any given time. I'm going to get some more orange to finish it off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I was shooting under the covered part of our range today and you can't even tell it's white, well kind of.  It wasn't distracting at least.    I was curious of what it would look like if I was outside, uncovered.  But the police were on that part of the range today.  

Also, I don't really like the pachmyrs.  The hogues went back on and are just superior.  IMHO.  I tried every grip I have.  The wood boot grips, the gun just moves around too much, ever shot, for me.  The rubber boot grips are better.  Surprisingly, the recoil wasn't bad with the boot grips.  I didn't really notice any difference, other than it would slip every shot and I'd need to re-grip.  

Now the wood target grips on the model 19, super nice.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP:  wouldn't that really be a "buttlift" rather than a "facelift"?

Rob
View Quote
Do these grips make me look fat?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I put some white nail polish on my S&W 36 front sight as a base color for some orange polish that I thought I had (can't find it now) so I've left it white for the time being. I don't care for it as it almost ends up reflecting the predominate ambient color of where I'm at in any given time. I'm going to get some more orange to finish it off.
View Quote
Make friends with your local nail salon.  Or, get your SO a manicure.  While you're there.....speak with the "owner" about your color choices for your front sight.  They normally won't let you buy a bottle.  But, there are a ton of choices and they'll probably let you try it on.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
That's good that you're trying out different grips. I'm doing the same thing with my little j-frames. The only difference is that I haven't tried any bigger ones like you have. I find that they kinda take away from the small size of the gun. So far, for shooting I really like the Uncle Mike's vintage rubber grips.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, if you want to pocket carry, the hogue and pachmyr are a no go.  I carry it AIWB though.  And before that I was carrying it at 4 oclock.  I've never carried it as a BUG.  But if it ever did play that role I can change the grips out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The best grips I've ever used on my "J" frames and now my Colt "Agent" are the Altamont "Combat" grips used concomitantly with a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. Whether I'm wearing dress pants, Khaki's, cargo shorts, blue jeans, sweatpants, or football/basketball mesh athletic shorts... presentation is like "butta!" Concealment is very good and printing is virtually non existent. The blued M36 gets carried in the pocket. The nickel M36 rides @ 4:00 in a Bianchi OWB holster. And more than twice I've carried them simultaneously, New York reload style; pretty comfortable to do so too...

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
My 442.
Crimson Trace grips, Apex trigger package, and painted front sight.
Nice set up.

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The best grips I've ever used on my "J" frames and now my Colt "Agent" are the Altamont "Combat" grips used concomitantly with a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. Whether I'm wearing dress pants, Khaki's, cargo shorts, blue jeans, sweatpants, or football/basketball mesh athletic shorts... presentation is like "butta!" Concealment is very good and printing is virtually non existent. The blued M36 gets carried in the pocket. The nickel M36 rides @ 4:00 in a Bianchi OWB holster. And more than twice I've carried them simultaneously, New York reload style; pretty comfortable to do so too...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/jeremyreagan/Smith%20J-Frames/J-FrameRoundButtswithAltamontStocks_zps64nm7hhj.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, I'm in the hunt for a 2nd one.  I want to carry 2 sometimes.  I don't even really care which one it is, although my preference is no hammer and I think I'd like to try a steel one to switch that to the main carry and use +p's.  640 / 649/ 60 / 36 (could always get a bobbed hammer for the last two....)  something like that.   But I would go for a 637 / 638 / 642 / 442 /342 / etc etc..... if the deal was right.  I saw a 637 on armslist new for 369.  Not too bad.    Although there again I'd prefer a no lock.  I'm not super against it though.  

http://www.armslist.com/posts/6304182/indiana-handguns-for-sale--smith---wesson-model-637-chief-special-airweight--38-special--5rd-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top