Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 7:57:28 PM EDT
Bought this at a local show. It is a 3-digit serial number under 500. Much of the finish is gone from the frame and cylinder, but it is not pitted. The 7 1/2" barrel has been replaced with a newer tapered one (though the last patent date on it is 1905). If the cylinder is also supposed to match the frame and crane, then it is a replacement as well (had a different 3-digit number under the extractor). The bore and chambers are in very good shape without pitting. Timing and lockup are very good. The hard rubber grips are in pretty good shape with no cracks or chips, but one small spot that looks pressed or melted in (see butt picture).

The dealer I purchased it from said he had called Colt and it was made in 1899. He thinks Colt actually replaced the barrel, but I don't have any evidence of that. Under the grips are no unexpected stampings or dates. Just a "0" on the left side near the grip pin.

I actually bought this to pair with an "El Tigre" Spanish-made copy of the Winchester 1892 (also in 44-40). I like having rifle/revolver combos and it was just too easy to pair this rifle with a SAA-type revolver. I do intend to shoot it, but now that I've done some reading and see that the first variation N-S revolvers are more fragile and more difficult to repair, I think I chose poorly.

Anyway...any and all comments are welcome.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!

I have a weakness for old Colt wheelguns, in spite of the fact that they just don't fit my hand.

Old Colt autos, no problem.  Yet I have 2 Colt wheelguns and 0 Colt autos.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The older colts seem to break parts more easily and go out of time more frequently than old smiths in my experience. The other problem is old Colt parts are hard to find and a gunsmith who knows his way around any revolver let alone colts is pretty hard to come by as well.
If you did not pay too much shooting with mild cowboy level loads is fine, I would but keep in mind if you break something fitting a replacement could be a challenge
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always heard that the .44-40 New Service Colts are very accurate guns.  I hope to hear how your old Colt shoots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Range report:

Took the revolver to the range yesterday. I didn't have any handloads available so I only put 24 rounds through it: 12 Hornady 205 gr. LRN Cowboy loads and 12 Winchester 200 gr. JSP.

Both targets were fired at 30 feet offhand.

First target, Hornady Cowboy: top is single-action using a center hold (the bottom two were "pulled" south); the lower group is slow double-action using a 6 o'clock hold.

Second target, Win JSP: 12 round combined 6 each single- and double-action using 6 o'clock hold.

Next time I'll give it a better workout with handloads.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
What a great find! Good for you, Shoot it...a lot!! Have you decided what loads you're going to load in it?

I have three old Colts (One SAA and two Bisley's) from 1902, 1903 and 1905, all in 38-40 and I shoot them frequently. A little with black powder, but mostly with smokeless.

I'm always amazed at how accurate these old girls can be.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top