Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 4:09:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting, hasn't this been done before?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Reminds me of the old upside down Hollow base WC load.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks interesting, hasn't this been done before?
View Quote
Yes, it's been discussed:  a lot more expensive than the regular HST.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know anything about this particular load, but having shot all kinds of stuff with Federal HST's, they definitely perform as advertised.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it could be a good first cylinder loading but not as reload friendly as conventional rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like it could be a good first cylinder loading but not as reload friendly as conventional rounds.
View Quote
With a cylinder that is properly chamfered, it's just as fast. The big advantage with this load is that there is almost no empty space in the cartridge case with the bullet seated that deep. It makes for very consistent ignition and velocities.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, it's been discussed:  a lot more expensive than the regular HST.
View Quote
Bingo.

If that price for 50 round box...

Sure.

Some website had 38spl SXT for like 14 bucks a box of 50 awhile back.   I was too slow and missed out.   Should have bought a case of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there more velocity since it's seated deeper or is it designed to have roughly the same velocity as conventionally loaded 38's? I can't really think of a better outcome otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there more velocity since it's seated deeper or is it designed to have roughly the same velocity as conventionally loaded 38's? I can't really think of a better outcome otherwise.
View Quote
I thought possibly "the better outcome" might be the performance of the HST bullet.  In other calibers they are top performers, it seems.  As far as price, most high performing loads in 9mm and 45 are almost a buck a round....  Some a little less.  But in that vicinity.   Unless I'm really missing something.  Can you buy Gold Dots for much less than a dollar a round?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Always try to buy the HST stuff in the LE version which come in 50rd boxes.  And, the pricing structure much better.

I do not think it going to be an easy reload, with or without chamfered cylinder chambers! .
Especially under stress!  Speed loaders with j frame cylinder......
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Always try to buy the HST stuff in the LE version which come in 50rd boxes.  And, the pricing structure much better.

I do not think it going to be an easy reload, with or without chamfered cylinder chambers! .
View Quote
Generally I would tend to agree with you on that point. On my reserve officer duty belt I carry (like every almost office in my department) three spare magazines for my Glock 19, and a +5 magazine extension in my gun, a total of 66 rounds. However; I still have at least one spare speed strip for my back up revolver. Haveing the shorter cased 148gr wadcutters is a bit faster on the reloads than any other cartridges, at least for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought possibly "the better outcome" might be the performance of the HST bullet.  In other calibers they are top performers, it seems.  As far as price, most high performing loads in 9mm and 45 are almost a buck a round....  Some a little less.  But in that vicinity.   Unless I'm really missing something.  Can you buy Gold Dots for much less than a dollar a round?
View Quote
Yes, I can buy Gold Dot or regular HST's for way under a dollar.  With any luck I buy for less than $0.50 a round.  If you can't then you need to work on your googlefoo skillz.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Despite a comment from someone else before you I, like you, still think reloads will be a problem as I've never seen a street gun with a properly chamfered cylinder and even then I promise you a cartridge with anything resembling a RN bullet will fall in the cylinder better than these rounds. That is unless you're Jerry Miculek.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You don't have to use the HST for your reloads.  But it might be a good load to have the first 5 rounds.  Which are probably the most important ones.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, I can buy Gold Dot or regular HST's for way under a dollar.  With any luck I buy for less than $0.50 a round.  If you can't then you need to work on your googlefoo skillz.
View Quote
Where?  Does that include shipping?  Do you have to order large quantities to get the better price?  

Yes, maybe my google skills suck.  But if I buy local, or buy online, I don't see prices that much better.  Sometimes there are sales.  But most of the time shipping kills buying ammo online and locally, carry ammo is around 1 a box.  If you have a link to something cheaper, I'm all eyes and ears.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2719493508/speer-gold-dot-short-barrel-ammunition-38-special-p-135-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j33keddhyg00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fammunition%2Fhandgun-ammo%2Fspeer-gold-dot-ammo-38-special-p-135gr-hp-prod82472.aspx

psa is out of stock, so you they don't show pricing when it is

nowhereisonefor50centsaroundbutbeforeshippingbutthisisgoodpricingnotsurewhatshippingputsitat
Problem with that one is I think it's a typo.  It's saying 50 round boxes but I'm pretty sure they are 25.  I could be wrong but I think that's where I bought mine last time, and they definitely weren't 50 rounds a box.  

cabelasdoesntshow38specialingolddotsoilookedupcriticaldefense...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where?  Does that include shipping?  Do you have to order large quantities to get the better price?  

Yes, maybe my google skills suck.  But if I buy local, or buy online, I don't see prices that much better.  Sometimes there are sales.  But most of the time shipping kills buying ammo online and locally, carry ammo is around 1 a box.  If you have a link to something cheaper, I'm all eyes and ears.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2719493508/speer-gold-dot-short-barrel-ammunition-38-special-p-135-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j352btg56u00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fammunition%2Findex.htm.aspx

psa is out of stock, so you they don't show pricing when it is

nowhereisonefor50centsaroundbutbeforeshippingbutthisisgoodpricingnotsurewhatshippingputsitat
Problem with that one is I think it's a typo.  It's saying 50 round boxes but I'm pretty sure they are 25.  I could be wrong but I think that's where I bought mine last time, and they definitely weren't 50 rounds a box.  

cabelasdoesntshow38specialingolddotsoilookedupcriticaldefense...
View Quote
I use ammoseek.com to find good prices on ammo.  I buy in quantities that make shipping a small part of the cost and buy in 50 round LEO boxes whenever possible.  Some places do pay freight on case quantities which is also nice.  Others have inexpensive flat rate shipping.  A few will try to make a profit on the freight too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
There were some good prices in there.  Thank you for that!!!  I didn't log in to see the next page.  But none of the .38 special loads were carry ammo on the first page.  It was a lot of cheapy stuff.  Some stuff I'm not sure I'd trust.  But there was some good stuff on there.  It would be interesting to see what prices are for carry ammo.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, see, any of the Gold Dots are even more expensive than I've seen it other places......  Oh wait, SGAmmo had it for 59.9 cents a round.  That's decent.  Not sure if it was free shipping or not.  

speer38speciallist
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top