Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 3:10:39 PM EDT
Found a first gen 1923 Colt saa in 45 colt for $800.00. It's not in terrible shape but it's been there and done that. It has a painted refinish which would probably strip easily. The only real problem is that the hammer doesn't lock back at full cock. I don't know if this is an easy fix or not. I imagine it's just some sort of bad engagement between the mainspring and hammer. I need some advice if this is worth picking up
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't mess with guns that are less than 100% mechanically.  There are lots of nice ones out there that are.

Fixing it is pretty easy but then, it's no longer original so it boils down to what you are going to do with it and what you want it to be.

If you're looking for an inexpensive shooter, then it's probably an OK deal.

Collectible gun, not with the paint, not w/o 4 clicks, not unless all original.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been a long while since I quit Colt single actions, there aren't many moving parts so it should be an easy fix. The parts are getting a little pricey so I sold mine and bought a Ruger for a little more than the price of the parts for my last old Colt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
BUY IT....like yesterday. You can't touch any Colt SA for that kind of money.
 One of my old 1st Generation Colts had a similar problem and a guy in Dallas rebuilt the hammer for $50-$60.
 That revolver will probably be worth almost twice the asking price.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't resist and had to buy it. It was cabelas gun library in La Vista, Nebraska. I got the guy down to $750 and then another 5% off that for military. With the Nebraska sales tax and store points I had, the total came out to $742. I wish I had a cabelas coupon for $20, but must've lost it. I guess I can't complain for getting a 1st gen Colt for not much more than a Uberti.

I'll get pics up soon. I already broke it down and the trouble seems to be with the hammer. The second two notches are totally gone. I have looked online and seen that a hammer rebuild is about $150-200 which isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well played, sir. Well played.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well done, indeed. Looking forward to seeing pics when you can get them up.

In the meantime, here is a 3rd gen Colt in .357 for viewing pleasure.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/ColtSAAa_zps79rvtf4j.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/ColtSAAa_zps79rvtf4j.jpg
View Quote
That is beautiful! I'll have a new 3rd gen one day!

Here she is in all her glory. I'll try to get some better natural light pics tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
That's not bad at all. Great pickup for the dollars.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BUY IT....like yesterday. You can't touch any Colt SA for that kind of money.
 One of my old 1st Generation Colts had a similar problem and a guy in Dallas rebuilt the hammer for $50-$60.
 That revolver will probably be worth almost twice the asking price.
View Quote
I'll be working in Stephenville, TX this summer, so if you can give me his contact info, I would greatly appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:55:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll be working in Stephenville, TX this summer, so if you can give me his contact info, I would greatly appreciate it!
View Quote
It wouldn't hurt to get ahold of Connie and Jessie Smith at Smith Gun in San Angelo. I've seen Jessie do good work on old Colts, to include retiming and bluing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd contact the gunsmith that has taken over at Bob Munden Enterprises up in Montana.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Love.your revolver. The front sihht hasn't been touched and that's good! Many, many congratulations.

Quoted:

View Quote
 I'll have to try to remember where I got his name. He lives some where around Plano or Frisco as I recall. I sent him my hammer, the funds and a self addressed envelope to return it in.

Here's a couple of mine. A lettered Bisley made in '03:

My 1902 SA:

Love shooting these old girls!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It wouldn't hurt to get ahold of Connie and Jessie Smith at Smith Gun in San Angelo. I've seen Jessie do good work on old Colts, to include retiming and bluing.
View Quote
I would not reblue that gun. While making it nicer looking most people like original finish
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would not reblue that gun. While making it nicer looking most people like original finish
View Quote
OP said it had been refinished already with some painted-on stuff. If that's the case, then I'd be all over a good hot reblue.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Found the guy who fixed my Colt SA hammer:

Luter Armory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top