Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
Here's what I've got... some people who are good with this, enlighten me.

Smith & Wesson .357
Lazy Ampersand
Serial Number 100,8xx ("S" Prefix)
Matching numbers all around
5 Screw Frame
Pinned and Recessed
Looks to have a Target Hammer and Target Trigger

From my research it shows to be a 1953, Pre-Model 19 .357.

Further investigation reveals this to be a Pre-27, N Frame, S Code, ".357 Magnum" made in 1953.

What is the finish on this handgun?!?
Is it a melonite refinish or something?
I've refrained from cleaning it up at all for the sake of not wanting to do anything stupid.

If some of you guys could tip me off as to anything you see, and the gun's general value, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
John

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Need pics but should be blued.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, pictures didn't work the first time.
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it's been industrial hard chromed.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/Metalife%20Finish%20Page%202.htm

Here's some of mine...

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, pictures didn't work the first time.
Thanks for your help.
View Quote
Doesn't look like [frosted] chroming or nickel as it wouldn't have worn so fast where the cylinder/barrel release pin rides on the frame so it likely is a newer style finish.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Got any larger pics ?

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
that line,.....is this dirt / grease,  . . . or wear ?

I still think it's hard-chrome.

If so,  it's a great, durable, long lasting, easy to clean finish.

it's beautiful  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

that line,.....is this dirt / grease,  . . . or wear ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/Lp73WD.jpg

I still think it's hard-chrome.

If so,  it's a great, durable, long lasting, easy to clean finish.

it's beautiful  
View Quote
Looking at the better pics, I agree.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I would agree that the finish looks like hard chrome too. From the barrel profile and the top strap and barrel rib checkering, it almost looks like a Pre-27 'N' frame.

What is the barrel length on that? It looks like it could be a 5"……
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would agree that the finish looks like hard chrome too. From the barrel profile and the top strap and barrel rib checkering, it almost looks like a Pre-27 'N' frame.

What is the barrel length on that? It looks like it could be a 5"……
View Quote
You are actually correct, as told to me by the guys over at the S&W Forum.
Further investigation reveals this to be a Pre-27, N Frame, S Code, ".357 Magnum" made in 1953.

And it is, indeed, a 5" barrel.

What do you guys think this is worth?
I'm going to sell it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It will make someone a great shooter. Unfortunately the value is MUCH lower with the refinish. In original configuration,  a 5in pre-27 in 80-90% condition would be over $1000. As it is now about half that, say $500-600. You might find someone who will pay more, but I would not count on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It will make someone a great shooter. Unfortunately the value is MUCH lower with the refinish. In original configuration,  a 5in pre-27 in 80-90% condition would be over $1000. As it is now about half that, say $500-600. You might find someone who will pay more, but I would not count on it.
View Quote
I agree with JR. Those 27's were the flagship of the S&W revolver line back in the day and are highly sought after (Especially the 3-1/2" and 5" versions). I have seen them go for upwards of $1000.00+ depending on condition and what accessories come with it. As that one has been refinished, I would guess somewhere around $500.00 or so would be about right......
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
That is a shooter's grade gun. It looks like it was run pretty hard in DA, it also appears as though the trigger and hammer were replaced, they both look black, whereas the original would've been a very rich color case hardening.

It's hard to say for certain, but it looks like that side plate is either not original, or was pried on at the bottom, it certainly wasn't raised like that from the factory. Elevation screw and all the side plate screws are buggered up.

In my area, a gun like that would sit for a long time at anything over $500, even at $450 it would probably sit for a while. It's ashame, with original finish, even if it was beat, it would sell quickly at $750+.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Agree on value for sure. Even in 50% original finish it would still be worth more than in refinished condition. Unless you are really strapped I'd keep it as a beater range gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top