Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
I was shooting a gp 100 357 today and shooting up old ammo . I came across a box of mixed ammo.  All fine had 357 on it. I loaded it up and  went to town . I pulled the trigger and noticed the extra power.  I checked the rim and it was labeled WW  super   357 magnum.  I didn't shoot anymore of it. The ammo was my dad's stash . It is praboly from the 1980's.  It had a kick and the cases stuck in the cylinder . TIA wardawg.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Case heads should say
W-W Super
357 Magnum

Box may say
Western with a large red "X" and the word "super" centered in the "X".

It is just 357 mag ammo.   Just as today, some loads are hotter than others.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IDK what you have, but using a ruger was better than a Taurus.
Good move not shooting more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They were possibly handloads, and someone used the lee powder scoop, heaping scoop that is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Post photos.   Show the case heads and the loaded cartridges.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I found some spent regular 357 cases. The lengthy was the same .well the supers was .014 longer.  They had the crimp style knurled case.  It was a mixed box of 357 ammo.  Had some 38 +p  , ww  super 357 magnum and standard looking 357 WC   . Then supers had a pop to them.  I'm computer dumb. . Never could figure out how to post pics.  I have honestly tried and it's been a failure. ??  thanks for the reply s.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya WarDog.

You can get away with some risks with a solid pistol like that, but I wouldn't take any more chances if it were me... and I spent the 80's and early 90's blasting revolver loads that would clear the indoor range out. I was loading for silhouette and kept an eye on my pressure with strain gages.

Operating blind is not a good thing to do with your face and hands, or even risk a good pistol. I would either disassemble or ignore that ammo unless you have a way to figure out exactly what it is.

Have a Happy Easter
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Case heads should say
W-W Super
357 Magnum

Box may say

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I found some spent regular 357 cases. The lengthy was the same .well the supers was .014 longer.  They had the crimp style knurled case.  It was a mixed box of 357 ammo.  Had some 38 +p  , ww  super 357 magnum and standard looking 357 WC   . Then supers had a pop to them.  I'm computer dumb. . Never could figure out how to post pics.  I have honestly tried and it's been a failure. ??  thanks for the reply s.  Wardawg
View Quote
.014 long smells like reloads, on cases that were already reloaded hot.

I don't think there is a .357 Super magnum, although some guys try to stuff some extra powder in a standard.357

Like he said above, some W-W cases were marked super in a marketing ploy.

Adding, you are not going to shoot anymore are you?  And you just reminded me to dump some old reloads from an unknown loader that I have sitting in the ammo dump.  No way I'll shoot them anyway.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Case heads should say
W-W Super
357 Magnum

Box may say

View Quote
Why is it that most responses on this page are ignoring the correct answer to this question providing the ammo was not reloaded?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The case's are plated chrome looking  . It was lead bullets/ WC with a copper color wash over them .It was just a thin color. Some had worn off . The crimping looked good. It was factory as far as I can tell. Yeah it's probably factory hot 357.  But I realize you never know.  Thanks for yalls reply . Wardawg.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
What weight is the bullet?  I'm guessing you got ahold of some full power Winchester - Western Super X loads.  Probably 125gr hollow points.  These are full power with plenty of oomph.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think there is a .357 Super magnum
View Quote
357 Maximum is frequently referred to as 357 supermag (because of the other Elgin Gates supermags) but the case is around .25" longer than 357 magnum
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What weight is the bullet?  I'm guessing you got ahold of some full power Winchester - Western Super X loads.  Probably 125gr hollow points.  These are full power with plenty of oomph.
View Quote
Yep, I think that's 1980 ammo. White box red letters and full power 357
I bet it would be fun in a j frame.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several boxes of the old Winchester "Metal Piercing" 357 mag rounds!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  .014 long smells like reloads, on cases that were already reloaded hot.

I don't think there is a .357 Super magnum, although some guys try to stuff some extra powder in a standard.357

Like he said above, some W-W cases were marked super in a marketing ploy.

Adding, you are not going to shoot anymore are you?  And you just reminded me to dump some old reloads from an unknown loader that I have sitting in the ammo dump.  No way I'll shoot them anyway.
View Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I would be glad to text a Picture of the round to anyone that would like to see it . Just IM me a number to send it to. But with yalls info given, I believe its a standard .357 that has extra pop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]
It is possible they were handholds.

However one thing that no one touched on yet is that older ammo was loaded hot. This was before the days of lawyers, and safety warnings all over everything. When you went to the store to buy a box of .357 Magnum, you got .357 Magnum, not 38 spl +P in a .357 case (like today).

I would be willing to bet you got some of the 'real' stuff, which caught you by surprise. I had the chance to witness this myself, a gunshop owner who I was friends with showed up at the range one day and I had my .357 out. I was shooting some Federal C357B, which are noted as HOT 125gr self defense loads. He asked to shoot, and when he did, kind of laughed. He pulled out a box of the same C357B, but obviously much, much older, and told me to try them.

The difference was night and day.

.38 Spl back in the day was about what .357 Magnum is today, and that doesn't take into account any of the older boutique manufacturers like super-vel who really pushed the envelope. Old ammo was hot ammo, and it worked just fine without blowing up too many guns.

ETA: W-W Super was just the headstamp for Western, they added Super to lots of different kinds of brass. Since you mentioned it was a gold bullet, I am guessing it's a Lubaloy, which would mean it's factory loaded. Something like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

However one thing that no one touched on yet is that older ammo was loaded hot. This was before the days of lawyers, and safety warnings all over everything. When you went to the store to buy a box of .357 Magnum, you got .357 Magnum, not 38 spy +P in a .357 case (like today).

I would be willing to bet you got some of the 'real' stuff, which caught you by surprise. I had the chance to witness this myself, a gunshop owner who I was friends with showed up at the range one day and I had my .357 out. I was shooting some Federal C357B, which are noted as HOT 125gr self defense loads. He asked to shoot, and when he did, kind of laughed. He pulled out a box of the same C357B, but obviously much, much older, and told me to try them.

.38 Spl back in the day was about what .357 Magnum is today, and that doesn't take into account any of the older boutique manufacturers like super-vel who really pushed the envelope. Old ammo was hot ammo, and it worked just fine without blowing up too many guns.
View Quote
This is true, and ironically led to the development of the 686 L frame revolver........at the same time as loads were getting more and more anemic.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
When the Smith N frame was the only home for the 357 loads were very hot. 158 at 1515 if memory serves! Then came K and later J frames and the light bullet trend and loads got light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
The ammo looks exactly like the ammo in the pic. I will say it is the same stuff.   Your correct. I've been shooting 38 's plinking ammo and 357 had been cheap target loads.  Wardawg.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]
That's real 357 magnum
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
That part in wardogs first post about the cases sticking is what would bug me .  Only reason for even hot factory loads to stick would be a really dirty cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That part in wardogs first post about the cases sticking is what would bug me .  Only reason for even hot factory loads to stick would be a really dirty cylinder.
View Quote
He said he shot a lot of 38 spl.
Shoot 38 spl then 357 and cases will stick.
Run a 40 cal brush through the cylinders to prevent it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why is it that most responses on this page are ignoring the correct answer to this question providing the ammo was not reloaded?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case heads should say
W-W Super
357 Magnum

Box may say

Arftards.....That's why

Winchester had the Super-X and  X Double X  Trademarked designation on their upscale line.  Case was marked WIN-Super then caliber/gauge.

Damn! If you can't remember back to the 70s at least then start remembering!!!! Young snots.....

EDIT:   This is not in reference to the OP who asked the question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

However one thing that no one touched on yet is that older ammo was loaded hot. This was before the days of lawyers, and safety warnings all over everything. When you went to the store to buy a box of .357 Magnum, you got .357 Magnum, not 38 spl +P in a .357 case (like today).

ETA: W-W Super was just the headstamp for Western, they added Super to lots of different kinds of brass. Since you mentioned it was a gold bullet, I am guessing it's a Lubaloy, which would mean it's factory loaded. Something like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/240418/acf10a5-189284.JPG
View Quote
This is my thought . I have been shooting some ammo that was my dads and is late 70's and 80's vintage .357 . It is noticeably hotter than current ammo and flattens primers
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Olin who owns Winchester Western uses several head stamps. Ones I know of are
W-W
WWESTERN
WINCHESTER
W-W SUPER
WCC  XXXX     WITH THS X'S FOR THE YEAR MADE  I think this one has been replaced by the one below
WMA17      Winchester Military Ammunition made this year.( I have only seen this in 9MM and only 17 but they have used it  in prior years)
The above head stamps will have 357 MAGNUM or 357 MAG I have seen both with all the head stamps. I have seen all of these in brass and nickel except WCC I have only seen in brass

The last two the general public may not see much unless buying surplus ammo. I see it because I shoot at their range in East Alton and Nilo Farms. They package over runs in standard boxes for range use
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I suggest you clean the cylinder and then save those fine older loads to use for self defense carry loads!....<><....:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top