Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 10:18:49 AM EDT
Since this is the 100th anniversary of the U.S. entering WW I, does anyone know if Colt has plans to bring back the 1917 .45 ACP revolver ?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt to bring back the New Service Frame? LOL

They just brought back the D Frame. Colt hasn't made a New Service Frame since 1952 (IIRC). Between the New Service and the Anaconda. Colt didn't have a large frame revolver. 

I doubt they'll bring it back. 

S&W can do a 1917 since they still make N Frame guns. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
They haven't made the New Service since 1940.  I can't imagine any tooling is left.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad owns two handguns.

A Ruger Mk2 and 1917 with a nickel plated trigger.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They haven't made the New Service since 1940.  I can't imagine any tooling is left.
View Quote
Taurus may have them
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:S&W can do a 1917 since they still make N Frame guns. 
View Quote
Well they have the 625 and that's probably as close as we'll get.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They make a Classic Line Model 25. It is ugly as he with the lock and two piece barrel. But they can make a repro. They even did the Thunder Ranch run with 'em.

I'll stick with my real deal Colt and S&W Model 1917.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They make a Classic Line Model 25. It is ugly as he with the lock and two piece barrel. But they can make a repro. They even did the Thunder Ranch run with 'em.

http://www.dayattherange.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/weapons2-212.jpg

View Quote
Ya, but the 25 is in 45 Colt. I'd like to get a 1917 one of these days but every time I find one local the price is higher than I'd care to pay.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ya, but the 25 is in 45 Colt. I'd like to get a 1917 one of these days but every time I find one local the price is higher than I'd care to pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 25 is in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP. The Thunder Ranch model was in .45 ACP.

Both Colt and S&W modified their original large frame wheel guns for .45 ACP. It isn't hard. For Smith Today it is simply a different Cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Both Colt and S&W modified their original large frame wheel guns for .45 ACP. It isn't hard. For Smith Today it is simply a different Cylinder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant the current Model 25 is chambered in .45 Colt.

Isn't it odd dashes are Colt and even dashes are ACP?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
A new one won't be any cheaper.  If you're flexible on condition, reblue, etc there are still deals to be found on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't recall if this is right or not but I seem to remember that the tooling was actually pulled out of the plant and left to rust outside during the war- they needed the room for 1911 production. It was essentially destroyed....probably sold off as scrap metal at some point.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I would rather have a S&W 1917 but the 625 is far more shootable.  Any of the S&W 25's that are chambered for 45 Colt can be easily converted to shoot both 45 Colt and 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Having had the opportunity to use both the Colt and S&W versions of the 1917, the Colt is bigger and not as well balanced and the action not quite as smooth as the smith. S&W did make a number of n frames in the last few years with the exact same 6.5" barrel fixed sight with lanyard loop configuration as the old military guns, but as others have mentioned will probably cost more than a decent shooter condition original. When speaking of old classics the key is patience. Put the money aside ($800 should get a very nice original) and scout pawn and gun shops and shows until an acceptable example shows up, understanding it may be a couple year search. Often the search is half the fun! Took me about 3 years to find a particular configuration S&W I wanted but it makes me smile all the more when taken to the range.
If you want a cheaper shooter the 1937 Brazil smiths imported 10-20 years ago are around in good shooter condition under 500
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you want a cheaper shooter the 1937 Brazil smiths imported 10-20 years ago are around in good shooter condition under 500
View Quote
Agreed.  I picked up one of the Braz contract guns for $400 out the door.

It obviously wont appreciate the way a US contract gun will, but if you want something to shoot instead of collect:

Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Even if Colt wanted to, it doesn't have the trained workforce to assemble them.  Timing those actions are a lot of work and unless they hired some excellent instructors (or got some old timers out of retirement), the average Colt employee can't do it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Having had the opportunity to use both the Colt and S&W versions of the 1917, the Colt is bigger and not as well balanced and the action not quite as smooth as the smith. S&W did make a number of n frames in the last few years with the exact same 6.5" barrel fixed sight with lanyard loop configuration as the old military guns, but as others have mentioned will probably cost more than a decent shooter condition original. When speaking of old classics the key is patience. Put the money aside ($800 should get a very nice original) and scout pawn and gun shops and shows until an acceptable example shows up, understanding it may be a couple year search. Often the search is half the fun! Took me about 3 years to find a particular configuration S&W I wanted but it makes me smile all the more when taken to the range.
View Quote
I've actually never handled a Smith 1917 but I did a colt one a long time ago when I was a new shooter.  And it made me go "what the, how does anyone shoot Double Action?".  The trigger pull was really heavy.  I thought maybe it was just gummed up in there from being old, but have no clue.....  This was a long time ago, but at the time I felt like it was about 15 or 20 pounds... LOL.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
If Smith brought the 1917 back, I'd buy the first one I saw.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If Smith brought the 1917 back, I'd buy the first one I saw.
View Quote
They did, in the Classic line.  Not to hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really want one of those. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought I saw a Brazilian contract one in the EE that wasn't overly expensive in the last week.  On here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've actually never handled a Smith 1917 but I did a colt one a long time ago when I was a new shooter.  And it made me go "what the, how does anyone shoot Double Action?".  The trigger pull was really heavy.  I thought maybe it was just gummed up in there from being old, but have no clue.....  This was a long time ago, but at the time I felt like it was about 15 or 20 pounds... LOL.  
View Quote
My Colt 1917 DA pull is very heavy. I don't have a S&W 1917, but compared to other S&W's, the action is much stiffer. I still like the Colt more though
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a Smith in my hand on Sat I needed some moon clips for my Smith Governor he went in the back and got a used 1917 in mint cond some one traded .
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a Smith in my hand on Sat I needed some moon clips for my Smith Governor he went in the back and got a used 1917 in mint cond some one traded .
View Quote
Did you get it?  Pics?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top