Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 8:15:22 PM EDT
Saw these at the PX the other day.  They had a 3" and 4" models for the same price.  Can stack the $30 nations finest rebate on top of it.

**UPDATE**

Well they priced dropped the 4" from $730 down to $625. I Fo'd on it. Total cost will be $595 after rebate. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want a post-lock S&W 686+ that has MIM?  I've been having the same debate.....I really want the talo 3" with unfluted cyl. but I'm just not convinced Id like it.

I'm not being critical.  If you are interested, $670 for that isn't a bad deal.  IMHO the 3" model will hold its value better than the 4" will.  Personally, I'd be interested in the 3" just because it would carry easier than the 4".
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I Only S&Ws I have are older pinned barrel guns. I don't really have hard feels one way or another. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you want a post-lock S&W 686+ that has MIM?  I've been having the same debate.....I really want the talo 3" with unfluted cyl. but I'm just not convinced Id like it.

I'm not being critical.  If you are interested, $670 for that isn't a bad deal.  IMHO the 3" model will hold its value better than the 4" will.  Personally, I'd be interested in the 3" just because it would carry easier than the 4".
View Quote
pet peeve...  The internet gun community really really needs to get over the MIM part thing.  MIM is a 30+ year old technology that the gun industry adopted early.  Yes there where issue early on while the technology went through its growing pains and the firearms engineers learned to use the fledgling technology.  Those are both in the past, way in the past.  MIM is used by nearly every firearms manufacture currently making firearms, Glock, SIG, S&W, Springfield Armory, Remington, Browning, etc.  The technology is mature and the industry is into its second generation of designers that grew up with the technology.  MIM parts are dimensionally much more consistent that investment cast or forged.  Regular MIM parts are greater than 95% the density and material properties of the parent material.  If the MIM parts are HIP'ed (High Isostatic Pressing) you have a hard time distinguishing it from a forged part of the same material as far as material properties go.  MIM parts can capture features that forging and casting cannot and thus are often net shape ready to use requiring no post cast/forge machine operations.  The are cheaper to make, dimensionally more consistent and have finished that are better than cast parts.  MIM is hear to stay because it better and cheaper for many parts the firearms industry uses.

Probably freak you all out to know that nearly all S&W revolvers since ~1993 have been rifled using an electro-chemical process not cut, button or hammer forged.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
pet peeve...  The internet gun community really really needs to get over the MIM part thing.  MIM is a 30+ year old technology that the gun industry adopted early.  Yes there where issue early on while the technology went through its growing pains and the firearms engineers learned to use the fledgling technology.  Those are both in the past, way in the past.  MIM is used by nearly every firearms manufacture currently making firearms, Glock, SIG, S&W, Springfield Armory, Remington, Browning, etc.  The technology is mature and the industry is into its second generation of designers that grew up with the technology.  MIM parts are dimensionally much more consistent that investment cast or forged.  Regular MIM parts are greater than 95% the density and material properties of the parent material.  If the MIM parts are HIP'ed (High Isostatic Pressing) you have a hard time distinguishing it from a forged part of the same material as far as material properties go.  MIM parts can capture features that forging and casting cannot and thus are often net shape ready to use requiring no post cast/forge machine operations.  The are cheaper to make, dimensionally more consistent and have finished that are better than cast parts.  MIM is hear to stay because it better and cheaper for many parts the firearms industry uses.

Probably freak you all out to know that nearly all S&W revolvers since ~1993 have been rifled using an electro-chemical process not cut, button or hammer forged.
View Quote
Not any of that really freaks me out to be honest.

But there is a reason that prelock-pre-mim sw revolvers command a premium, and that premium is feelings about the lock and mim.  And as we know, feelings arent logical.

I also highly prefer the aesthetics of non-mim parts over that of mim that sw uses for hammer and trigger.  But functionally I have been convinced that properly made MIM is functionally equivalent....but it is butt ugly.

I dont really care how a gun is rifled if it shoots straight and does it time after time.  I have literally never worried about this.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not any of that really freaks me out to be honest.

But there is a reason that prelock-pre-mim sw revolvers command a premium, and that premium is feelings about the lock and mim.  And as we know, feelings arent logical.

I also highly prefer the aesthetics of non-mim parts over that of mim that sw uses for hammer and trigger.  But functionally I have been convinced that properly made MIM is functionally equivalent....but it is butt ugly.

I dont really care how a gun is rifled if it shoots straight and does it time after time.  I have literally never worried about this.  
View Quote
I can understand the angst for the lock.  That is a bad lawyer-driven design decision.  It would be interesting so see if the lock was not a factor if the pre-MIM guns would still be at a premium.  If you talk to the gunsmiths that tune S&W revolvers for competitive shooters and similar most of them would rather work on a MIM gun than a pre-MIM gun.  The guns with MIM parts and CNC machined frames are far more consistent and easier to tune up than the older hand fitted forge parts guns.

As for looks I am personally all about function and the looks be damned.  Beauty is a product of proper function to me not fancy finished.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
FO if you really want a 686. That price is on par with their pricing with their regular MIL/LE program.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a brand new 686 off gunbroker for $605 shipped.

Keep your eyes open for a couple of days and you'll find something similar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FO if you really want a 686. That price is on par with their pricing with their regular MIL/LE program.
View Quote
Didn't realize the had a mil/le program....I'm not in a huge rush. 

Revolvers are more of a rare toy for me to shoot than anything I will regularly play with. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Starting to lean towards FO......held both the 3" and 4" models.  On one hand I liked the balance of the 3", but the added length and nose-heaviness of the 4" should help with recoil I'd imagine.  Now with a poll to help make up my mind.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I might buy a window fan or a bread mixer made with mim parts but I sure don't want something mim that is weak and prone to breakage in any of my guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I found a mid 80s 686 at gander mountain for $ 350. Nickel, but shoots fine
View Quote
If its a 686, then it's Stainless. 586, would be Nickel or Blued..
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My 3" is a great gun. I put Hogue fingerless/checkered grips on it and the ergonomics are perfect. At least to me. Ran it for the first time last weekend in a USPSA match. Loads of fun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I might buy a window fan or a bread mixer made with mim parts but I sure don't want something mim that is weak and prone to breakage in any of my guns.
View Quote
My decommissioned Marine Colt M45A1 has MIM fire control parts and has been in the sandbox for the last 4-5 years. Not a issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found a mid 80s 686 at gander mountain for $ 350. Nickel, but shoots fine
View Quote
Around here people want 500 bucks in gunstores for simple Model 10's.  "it's a classic".  Count your blessings and buy a lottery ticket.  

I'm kind of Meh about the 686.  It seems like it would be too big to carry.  Even the 3".  I've never tried it though.  I'd be more into a 3" K frame.  But for just a shooting gun, hunting, and even HD, either 3 or 4" would be really good for those things.  IMHO.  It would have to be 4" to be legal for deer in our state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Ended up passing....of course I go back yesterday and they have a Ruger GP100 match champion 20% off which meant it went for $630 OTD. Had to convince myself not to buy it right then and there. 

Truth is I need to finish my other projects first before buying more guns. And since my wife just had our 2nd son I won't be going to shoot really anytime soon. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I Fo'd on a 4". They dropped it down to $625 and with the nations finest rebate which knocks it down to $595 OTD. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!

You can never go wrong wit a 4" 357 magnum S&W.

Need Pics!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice! What frame is the 686, "L" or "N" frame???
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice! What frame is the 686, "L" or "N" frame???
View Quote
L frame. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Love it.  The 686 is growing on me more and more.  I fondled some revolvers at my LGS about a month ago and the 686 they had there had a really nice trigger.  As well as the last one I fondled there several years ago.  I don't think you can go wrong with one.  Who cares about the stupid lock.   You can either get rid of it, or just don't worry about it.  They say it's only with the LW guns it can be a problem.  

We need a range report.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top