Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 8:57:49 AM EDT
I've had the itch for a while, just haven't scratched it yet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you a collector? Plan to carry it? Plan to shoot it?

If yes, or no, to any of the above questions, or any other questions posted. Do it.

Awesome little gun, that will always be sought after. Plus it has a great little history to go with it. I've had my eye out for the last couple years and just waiting to pounce on the right one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Going to me an expensive itch to scratch.  One on GB right now with two bids at $1,125.  There's a three inch asking $1,599.

Unless you're  a serious Smith collector, not really practical item.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a 3" 547 new in 83 or was it 84.
Typical S&W had nice finish and a good trigger.
They're collector pieces now and priced accordingly!
If you have to have one go for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
JMHO but unless I could get a really good deal on one I think I would just buy a newer used model 10 Heavy barrel or a Model 13 and send the cylinder off to TK Custom and have it modified to run 9mm on moonclips.  Don't see much point to a non-moonclip 9mm revolver.  Moonclips rule and moonclips for rimless revolvers are the way to do it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to me an expensive itch to scratch.  One on GB right now with two bids at $1,125.  There's a three inch asking $1,599.

Unless you're  a serious Smith collector, not really practical item.
View Quote

You saw the one I was looking at.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
JMHO but unless I could get a really good deal on one I think I would just buy a newer used model 10 Heavy barrel or a Model 13 and send the cylinder off to TK Custom and have it modified to run 9mm on moonclips.  Don't see much point to a non-moonclip 9mm revolver.  Moonclips rule and moonclips for rimless revolvers are the way to do it.
View Quote
A real good condition model ten to start with is say $400 and the conversion runs $375, so a 1200 dollar 547 is not that far off. Searching junk boxes at shops and shows will usually net you some speedloaders. While doing both is the standard answer I would go for the 547
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A real good condition model ten to start with is say $400 and the conversion runs $375, so a 1200 dollar 547 is not that far off. Searching junk boxes at shops and shows will usually net you some speedloaders. While doing both is the standard answer I would go for the 547
View Quote
The Model 10 still seems like a win.  Cheaper and you get moonclips!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Model 10 still seems like a win.  Cheaper and you get moonclips!  
View Quote
Except when you go to sell the model 10, unless you find someone who specifically wants that conversion, you'll very likely get less than what you paid for it. In the meantime, the 547 will have added a good 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Except when you go to sell the model 10, unless you find someone who specifically wants that conversion, you'll very likely get less than what you paid for it. In the meantime, the 547 will have added a good 300 bucks.
View Quote
True, but it started as a $300 revolver and not all purchase need be made with a return on investment in mind.  Personally if I was doing it I would convert it too 38 Super to have a little more case volume to work with while still getting the conveniences of moonclips.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I traded for a 3" 547 several years back. Wanted it to be a shooter, but when i got it, it was too nice. Ive taken it to the range once, and surprisingly it did have more recoil than a 4" 38.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's for a 'working' gun, I'd reconsider; that spring-leaf extraction system was....not optimal.

I'd choose something else to actually carry.

Larry
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine had a 3" 547 back in the early 90's, I never found it very enjoyable to shoot. Recoil and muzzle blast was worse than a .38 and it took quite a bit of effort to eject the empties.
It was a neat gun, he sold it off and bunch of others when he moved out of state.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I ended up with one from a LGS.  They had it marked as a model 10.  Never bothered to check it out.

Got it for $250.  It was pristine.  4 with the square butt.

Sold it eventually due to it being a collector piece and me not shooting it because of that.

I can't remember but was the bore the same as a 38 or did they reduce the size for 9mm?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ended up with one from a LGS.  They had it marked as a model 10.  Never bothered to check it out.

Sold it eventually due to it being a collector piece and me not shooting it because of that.

I can't remember but was the bore the same as a 38 or did they reduce the size for 9mm?
View Quote

9mm is run as either .355 or .356.  .38 Special and .357 are run as .357.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I wasn't clear in my question.  Did Smith make the barrel for the 574 .355 or .357.  Just wondered if they just stuck a 38 barrel on it instead of using a 9mm spec barrel
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess I wasn't clear in my question.  Did Smith make the barrel for the 574 .355 or .357.  Just wondered if they just stuck a 38 barrel on it instead of using a 9mm spec barrel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have to get my hands on one to slug the barrel to be sure, but I would not be surprised to find the barrel to run out at .357.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I owned one a got rid of it 20+ years ago cheap. I kicked much more than I thought it should and cases were hard to extract.

The trigger was nothing like my other S&W, the springs must have been considerably stronger to deal with tough military primers.

You can buy a nice new Jerry Miculach 9mm race revolver for less that uses moon clips and will run like a champ.

That, to me, is a better option.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm- everyone seems to want one.

I will be the odd one out (nothing new)

I love S&W guns but the 9mm is a silly caliber . Since it is designed for a semi most all factory loads are about the same power level. Yeah it works pretty decent but that is all you get.

Compare that to a similar S&W in 357 . Shoots everything from super mild 38 target loads up through all the 38s and then the range of 357s.

Most can see I judge most all guns on my ability to shoot them and have fun.

I suppose the 547 would be a interesting to a collector but the fact that not many were made (because they didn't sell well?) should be a hint to how interesting they are to most folks.

Lots of cool interesting S&W revolvers out there that are fun to shoot , I wouldn't rate this one as real interesting.

To some folks I guess being different is the charm?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I really want a 3", round butt 547.  I saw one in a LGS back in the very early 1980s, and I keep kicking myself for not scrounging up the cash back then.

Sadly, these guns have a lot of collector appeal, while I want one for the range.  That means collectors are going to keep 'em in their safes, and I won't be able to afford one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top