Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 11:13:20 AM EDT
I bought a Ruger Single Six Convertible a couple of weeks ago and the little red bag the spare cylinder came in was mostly chewed away by mice.

I found a Don Hume single speed-loader pouch (med) at the flea market and thought it would be perfect to store the .22 Mag cylinder in and even take it afield if I wanted to. I remembered pouches along those lines being sold for the .45LC conversion cylinders for BP revolvers.

You can store the cylinder loaded if you want to as the rounds won't fall out. I replaced the foam bottom with a piece of plastic so it won't rust. I think a small (j-frame) pouch would work better but the med. with the plastic collar will do.

I know, never been done before.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've (slowly, very slowly) been building my own leather western gun rig with a single right hand holster for my Blackhawk Bisley or New Vaquero Bisley and a crossdraw holster on the left side of the buckle for my Single Six.  My idea was to design the crossdraw holster with a cylinder pouch just like yours built into the holster.  Now I'm thinking for times when wearing a holster slipped onto a standard belt that your idea would work great.  I own the two convertible revolvers, the Single Six and the Blackhawk Bisley, so I think I may need to score a couple of these.  Used speed loader holders are plentiful and extremely cheap, excellent idea.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As leather can hold moisture it is not a good idea to put a gun or parts thereof in leather for long term storage. Just like storing a pistol in a holster long term is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As leather can hold moisture it is not a good idea to put a gun or parts thereof in leather for long term storage. Just like storing a pistol in a holster long term is not a good idea.
View Quote
Beats the felt "red bag".

Given that the cylinder is surrounded by plastic I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't plan on storing mine in the leather, not a fan of that, but it's a great idea for carrying.  It's not a horrible idea to be able to shoot both your .22LR and .22WMR when carrying your single six out as a trail or camping gun.  Never know when you might need that extra power in an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Crown Royal bags work too, and the price is right!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beats the felt "red bag".

Given that the cylinder is surrounded by plastic I'll take my chances.
View Quote
I wouldn't store it that way for any length of time.  

Something more loose.   A plastic box from pistol bullets (component) or a similar sized mold box that wasn't currently in use.  

Just my two cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top