Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 8:47:39 PM EDT
Well my dad finally made me give him back his M57 I was using to hunt with so I had to get something to replace it. Plus it was a pain packing something with an 8 3/8" barrel and a scope. So I picked up this 5" M29-6 Classic. Out of all the Smith's I've had it's definitely the nicest so far finish-wise. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but I had to get rid of the godawful rubber grips that were on it. I usually go with regular target stocks, but I decided to try something different and get a set of Ahrends retro target stocks. And it looks like there is a pin holding the front sight on, so can I change it out?

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!  I want its stainless steel brother the 629 with that same 5 inch full under lug.  Rubber grips sure are a lot uglier than those wood grips buy I find rubber grips a lot more friendly on my hands when shooting them.

You can removed that pin get the front sight off but most replacement front sights that you would replace it with will need to be drilled.  The sell them without the hole so you can match drill them to get a tight fit with your gun.  Not as easy as I though it would be the first time I did it but not impossible if you take your time and are handy with your hands.  Helps to have a good drill press of even a milling machine but not required.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice!  I want its stainless steel brother the 629 with that same 5 inch full under lug.  Rubber grips sure are a lot uglier than those wood grips buy I find rubber grips a lot more friendly on my hands when shooting them.
View Quote

I wouldn't hate rubber grips so much if they actually made a set that came close to fitting my hands. The Hogues that were on this came close, but they had finger grooves on them and they didn't match my fingers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wouldn't hate rubber grips so much if they actually made a set that came close to fitting my hands. The Hogues that were on this came close, but they had finger grooves on them and they didn't match my fingers.
View Quote

Hogue recently started making a version of their rubber grip without the finger groove.  Unfortunately they presently only make it in a round to square butt conversion grip and their rubber big butt grip (also a round to square conversion grip).  I really want a groove-less round butt and I suspect you would want a square grip without finger grooves.  I have heard that a fine grit sanding belt will make short work of the figure grooves but I have never gotten around to trying it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hogue recently started making a version of their rubber grip without the finger groove.  Unfortunately they presently only make it in a round to square butt conversion grip and their rubber big butt grip (also a round to square conversion grip).  I really want a groove-less round butt and I suspect you would want a square grip without finger grooves.  I have heard that a fine grit sanding belt will make short work of the figure grooves but I have never gotten around to trying it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of if they fit my hand or not, I would eventually change them out for wood stocks, but I wouldn't have to dump them as soon as I got the gun. Hogue has a wooden set of one piece grips that I was thinking about getting, but I'll probably get those for the Hand Ejector I just picked up.

Funny enough though, I really like Pachmyers on 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top