Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
After selling my 629-5 Classic a few years ago while going through the big D, I've decided to replace my 44 Mag.  

I've pretty much decided on the Redhawk as I just can't get past a S&W with the Hillary hole.  Already have a 4" 686-3 so that round is covered.  

So it comes down to a RedHawk, but I just can't decide between a 4" or 5.5" barrel.  

When I lean towards the 5.5, then I have to consider how much handier the 4" would be.  

Then I lean to the 4" and it's hard to forget how sweet the 5.5 would be with the wood grip.  

I would have fent months ago but I just can't decide.  

Help!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck in your dilema.  I'll stick with Smith's 29-2.

Actually gave my last 44 mag above to my son.  As I carry Smith 41 Mags 57/58/657s.

CD
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
5 1/2" seems to be the sweet spot between balance and accuracy. The 4" barrel is just a bit on the short side for anything but an up close and personal gun. The extra 1 1/2" does add enough sight radius to make the gun workable out to about 50 yards. I don't notice it being any more inconvenient to carry than a 4" barreled revolver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your state allow handgun hunting? Do they specify a min. barrel length? May be something to think about, here in Ohio 5" min, so I would go with a 5.5 just for easier resale.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the responses.  

My state requires at least a 4" barrel for deer hunting, but the 5.5" Redhawk seems like the way I'll go.  

After the new Colt Cobra has been out a while perhaps I'll look into that in a year or so.  

Thanks.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
5.5 is the best compromise.

I use a 5.5 Super Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Go for the 5-1/2 inch.
Trivia re. the "six shots or only five" soliloquy: at the beginning of the movie (the bank robbery "I gotsta know" scene), Harry fired only 5 shots: he would have killed the bank robber (Albert Popwell, who also appeared in most of the other Dirty Harry movies). At the end of the movie when facing the killer (Andy Robinson), Harry had already fired 6 shots, and would have been empty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A 5" Model 29 is what you seek.

Pre lock, with the firing pin on the hammer.

They are out there.

The Model 29 Classic and Classic DX being the Apex of Model 29s.

They are the perfect blend of packability and shootability.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go with the 5.5", almost bought a 6" Smith a couple months ago, price was good but I was afraid to pull the trigger that close after the Holidays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top