Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 11:13:48 PM EDT
I have a pre-Taurus Rossi M88 revolver that belonged to my dad and my son loves that little gun, so I decided to pick up a Wolff spring kit & improve the trigger pull. The kit came with an 8lb hammer spring and 3 different rebound springs, 13,14, & 15 lbs. I first went with the 14lb rebound spring & while the trigger pull was fantastic, the cylinder wouldn't turn if the gun was pointed level or higher than level. I assumed that the spring was too light so I swapped it out for the 15lb spring. Now the cylinder won't turn when the gun is pointed slightly up or higher but turns when the gun is level. Before I go back to the original spring, I would like to make sure it's the spring that's causing this problem rather something else I may have missed so I posted a picture below of the gun with the side plate removed but all parts back in place to make sure I didn't make some other error that is causing this problem. Any suggestions are welcome.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the hand still under spring pressure? Typically there is a torsion spring that forces the hand into position against the back fo the cylinder... if you took the gun apart, and did not reinstall the hand correctly into the trigger, then your cylinder will not turn. There is no forward pressure to make the hand stay in place against the cylinder.

none of the other springs have anything to do with your problem. When you point the barrel up, the hand is falling backwards away from the cylinder. You have to reinstall it correctly, so the torsion spring is forcing it forward.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Your upgrade was obviously not one- there is a lesson in there somewhere
It may be the very small leg of the hand spring ( if it is identical to S&W) is not in correct alignment
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the hand still under spring pressure? Typically there is a torsion spring that forces the hand into position against the back fo the cylinder... if you took the gun apart, and did not reinstall the hand correctly into the trigger, then your cylinder will not turn. There is no forward pressure to make the hand stay in place against the cylinder.

none of the other springs have anything to do with your problem. When you point the barrel up, the hand is falling backwards away from the cylinder. You have to reinstall it correctly, so the torsion spring is forcing it forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks so much, problems solved! It seemed like something wasn't right with the hand and...DUH!...it helps to get the torsion spring on the proper side of the small bar of the hand that slides up and down the slot in the trigger. I don't know the technical terms for these but I do know that the little Rossi works properly now and I went back to the 14lb rebound spring which seems ideal. The DA trigger pull is very smooth and significantly lighter and the single action pull is crisp and light.

Quoted:
Your upgrade was obviously not one- there is a lesson in there somewhere
It may be the very small leg of the hand spring ( if it is identical to S&W) is not in correct alignment

Now that I've installed the hand correctly, it's a significant upgrade and the lesson there is that you can't learn if you don't try, fail, then do it correctly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Very good... and the upgrades are worth it! Just be careful with lighter hammer springs, as hard primers might not go off in double action the first time around. Rounds from euro makers.. Prvi and Sellier... tend to hand a harder primer.

If using for carry, make sure your chosen ammo goes off in single and double action with your lighter springs.

Just fyi.. happy shooting!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what I've been told about reducing the hammer spring weight. I've also been told that Federal seems to have the hard primers. I won't be using this gun for self defense. It's more of a plinker and nostalgia piece for our family since it belonged to my dad. My sons think he was the man's man of all men and they love that gun because of it. He's legendary in our family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top