Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 6:41:17 PM EDT
Awhile back, I had my old Smith & Wesson Model 66 stolen out of my shooting bag. Won't go into the details of that. Yesterday, Friday, 3-3-17, I picked up the brand new Smith & Wesson Model 686 Revolver. I took a cursory look at it, paid for it and went home. I get home and take it out of the plastic case for a closer exam. First off, I noticed some sticky junk just above the grips on both sides, then notice a LOT of scratching forming a circle around the cylinder. My Wife's old 686 that we bought used doesn't have that kind of scratching, nor does my snubbie Model 37 Then I notice the outside of the forcing cone & barrel are filthy, with a burr on the top of the cone. I clean all this stuff up. Starting to become unhappy, then I notice a shiny spot on the end of the barrel lug. I don't know what to think of all this. I have bought 4 or 5 S&W revolvers, none of them like this. The owner of the shop I bought it from is a friend. He said he would contact S&W on Monday and see what they would do. Thoughts? Experience like this with S&W? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks much,

Mark
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought it new, I believe Smith & Wesson customer service will take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You bought it new, I believe Smith & Wesson customer service will take care of you.
View Quote

I suspect the new ones aren't as nice as the pre lock 80s stuff.
I read way back about 80 that brownells cone polishing tool would clean up the cone and make most stock revolvers more accurate.
Dropping even the 80s guns groups by around 30 percent IIRC.  
I suspect this would improve the new ones by at least as much.
I suspect slugging each of the chamber mouths may give useful information as well.

I love my 4" 586 but really wish I would have sprung for the 3" Lew Horten 686 back in 86.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a new model Dan Wesson 715 & one of the reasons I didn't buy a Smith & Wesson was the shoddy work I saw when I picked up random new guns in my LGS. I couldn't believe that shoddy work that S&W is turning out these days.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the comments. We will see what S&W has to say about it. I bought a Model 69 a few years back, the cylinder would only hold 4, the 5th being undersized. They fixed this. Also had a 686 just like this, it was ok. Should have kept it.

Thank You,
Mark
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got an M&P 340 at S&W now getting repaired. I'm hoping to get it back this week or early next.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#6]
S&W CS is great you have nothing to worry about.  

My buddy has used them A LOT for his wheel guns and I have used them a few times myself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems to me that the current situation at S&W is pump out pistols, ones that slip through the QC cracks, fix as requested.

I bought a brand new 627 "pro" series...a gun that was supposed to receive more attention/fitting than a standard line gun, but less than a Performance Center.

What I got? canted rear sight, horrible barrel crown, poor timing on the action (hand was out of timing).

I contacted S&W and sent it back, I didn't gripe about the timing or the rear sight. They fixed the crown and paid full shipping. It took close to a month from start to stop.

I sent the revolver to my gunsmith who fixed everything else.

Sadly, I see this with many products. I will say that at least the fit/finish of the overall revolver was still far better than what I see on new Taurus models.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense, I have had some lemons from many different manufacturers in this industry. A few from S&W. Both old and new ones.

I think a lot of guys fool themselves thinking all the older guns were great. There was just no internet to see all the complaints. I suspect the return rate for S&W today is pretty similar to what it was back in the 80s. If anything I would think it is lower. Modern CNC machines and technology have made great advances in closing tolerances and tightening fit.

That said I understand some people prefer the old school way of doing things. I understand and respect that. But was the quality better back in the 80s? Not sure. But I don't think the difference is as dramatic as some would suggest.

Also to call the 686 you get a PAPERWEIGHT is not really correct. Does the gun function? If so, it's not a paperweight. Any problems you have with your S&W revolver will be fixed quickly. You will have it back 2 to 3 weeks max from the day it is shipped off to S&W. Best part, it won't cost you a dime. Not even shipping. If you are not happy, they won't stop until you are happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top