Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 11:34:23 PM EDT
Ive been looking for a 2" to 3" magnum for self defense carry and I want a wheelgun. Is it totally crazy to want this gun or is it do'able since it has the option of .45 Colt rounds.

Ive been considering a shoulder rig. I shoot big bore handgun so recoil is a non-issue. Ive just had this gun on my mind a lot lately. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ive been looking for a 2" to 3" magnum for self defense carry and I want a wheelgun. Is it totally crazy to want this gun or is it do'able since it has the option of .45 Colt rounds.

Ive been considering a shoulder rig. I shoot big bore handgun so recoil is a non-issue. Ive just had this gun on my mind a lot lately. Thanks.
View Quote

I tried a .454 with a 3" barrel... not for me. I enjoy having my wrist bones in good working order. However, I could see myself getting a .460 XVR with an 8" barrel someday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you could do better (as in .357).

A 454 shooting (normal) 45 Colt isn't going to be anything but bigger, heavier and less powerful.

And a snub-nosed 454 shooting 454 is going to be...unpleasant and, according to some, loses a lot of it's energy advantage.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you could do better (as in .357).

A 454 shooting (normal) 45 Colt isn't going to be anything but bigger, heavier and less powerful.

And a snub-nosed 454 shooting 454 is going to be...unpleasant and, according to some, loses a lot of it's energy advantage.
View Quote

On the other hand I already reload and own both .45 Colt and .454. The .45 Colt with the proper Load in the proper gun is a meaner beast then the .44 mag. AND since I already own a full size .454 I can break out the Alaskan at range sessions with .454 Loads to make my range buddies ears bleed.

When I retired I vowed to stop buying guns I have no use for. Help me a little here. Does anyone even Load .454 self defense rounds?

The real truth is Ive been looking for a 2" to 3" .44 mag blue steel wheelgun to carry. Thing is nobody makes the damn things. They are all SS. The closest I can find are used modified ex-cop M-29s with cut 3" tubes "it was popular amongst us in the '70s and '80s". These guns are tough to find and are going for $1,500+ used. And while I like M-29s I dont care to spend that kind of dough on guns that get a little shakey with enough magnums put thru them.

So I lowered my expectations and looked for a Blue Steel .357 mag. The closest is the Ruger LCRx but I want one with rear sights and they only put rear sights on the .38+P version "explain that to me"? BLUE STEEL WITH REAR SIGHTS, its not rocket science but try finding one. I dont want the S/W scadium cause it looks weird with a two tone frame/chambers and I dont like locks. Thus Im going around in a circle chasing my tail right now. I cant live a 9mm life all the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why I said "normal" 45 Colt loads; I know the 45 Colt can be loaded up to 44 Mag equivalent.

I thought about getting an Alaskan for a relative that was going to go backpacking in bear country.  By "according to some" I was referring to guys who had chrono-ed the short barreled 454 and, according to some, the short barrel resulted in not a lot more than 44 Mag (or hot Colt 45) loads.  Not enough more to justify the 454 in their opinions.

And while researching the Alaskan, I ended up getting a Ruger SBH 454...for me.

With the way the law goes these days, I would't use a 454 round for self-defense...and would think twice about even using 45 Colt in a 454 gun:  a wily prosecutor could probably confuse a jury well enough that they wouldn't know the difference between a 454 and 45 colt cartridge...especially given that they wouldn't know the difference going in.

There's always the 4.2" Ruger RH 44 for carry.

Hey, this is ARFCOM, 9mm is better than every/anything else.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you have a Lew Horton 629 blackened? I know there are some coatings/surface treatments  they can do on stainless to make them look closer to bluing. Doesn't someone do a blackened chrome?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The real truth is Ive been looking for a 2" to 3" .44 mag blue steel wheelgun to carry. Thing is nobody makes the damn things. They are all SS. The closest I can find are used modified ex-cop M-29s with cut 3" tubes "it was popular amongst us in the '70s and '80s". These guns are tough to find and are going for $1,500+ used. And while I like M-29s I dont care to spend that kind of dough on guns that get a little shakey with enough magnums put thru them.
View Quote

You need to look for a Model 29-4 in 3 inch.  You can see what they look like here. S&W  29-4

You can also search for the S&W 29-10 Bounty Hunter which is also out there.

I saw one at a LGS last year and he was asking $800.00.  I hesitated and when I went back 3 days later, it was gone.   I seem to collect  S&W .44 magnums...
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one of the Bounty Hunters and foolishly got on an anti lock kick and sold it.  I'll find another one someday.

I also have an Astra Terminator, but one of those would be even harder to find.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You need to look for a Model 29-4 in 3 inch.  You can see what they look like here. S&W  29-4

You can also search for the S&W 29-10 Bounty Hunter which is also out there.

I saw one at a LGS last year and he was asking $800.00.  I hesitated and when I went back 3 days later, it was gone.   I seem to collect  S&W .44 magnums...
View Quote

Yes thats exactly what I want and they have been going for serious cash when and where I have found them. Why in hell cant S&W still make a 3" blue'd .44 mag?

I'd pay a grand for that gun right now but I can never find one for a grand.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Any interest in the 2 3/4" model 69?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1307-159547.JPG
View Quote

You know what kills my interest in many wheel guns today? They simply dont make blue steel versions of many anymore. I cant help but think S&W could have sold many more M-29-4s then the 2532 they made for one year in the '80s. I dont like stainless big bore handguns cause they lack character, at least for me. Had I a specific need for stainless that would be different but this gun would be a range toy/occasional carry gun and I like S&W blue'ing.

Another thing is I'm Leery of used guns from gun stores or from people I dont know, not as much with revolvers, but I read to many times in forums how people are getting rid of their poorly operating firearms by selling them. I could never do that. But yes two guns would fit my needs very nicely, this M-29-4 or barring that the Ruger LCRx .357 mag if they made it with adjustable rear sights. Which they dont.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1307-159547.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. Didn't know they finally had got smart and shortened the barrel. May have to look at buying one now.

As to the OPs post.....45LC in the Alaskan would be a good choice if you like that revolver. Since you handload you could load up some mid power 45LC loads at 700-800 ft lbs of energy giving you 50% more than a 45ACP and they would be pussycats in the Ruger. Not a bad choice, just a heavy large revolver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger Alaskan .454.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this. Didn't know they finally had got smart and shortened the barrel. May have to look at buying one now.

As to the OPs post.....45LC in the Alaskan would be a good choice if you like that revolver. Since you handload you could load up some mid power 45LC loads at 700-800 ft lbs of energy giving you 50% more than a 45ACP and they would be pussycats in the Ruger. Not a bad choice, just a heavy large revolver.
View Quote

I don't think they have any available yet.  None on gunbroker, and I haven't seen anyone of the forums I frequent who has one.

I will be getting one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Alaskan chambered in 44mag and will CCW it every now and then.  Since I quite often CCW all steel 5" 1911's the weight of the Alaskan is no big deal.  I had a custom belt, holster, & ammo belt slide made just for this set up.  When I CCW the Alaskan it is stoked with Hornady Critical Defense in 44 special, not 44 mag.

There appears to be 26 of the Alaskans in 454 for sale right now on Gun Broker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know what kills my interest in many wheel guns today? They simply dont make blue steel versions of many anymore. I cant help but think S&W could have sold many more M-29-4s then the 2532 they made for one year in the '80s. I dont like stainless big bore handguns cause they lack character, at least for me. Had I a specific need for stainless that would be different but this gun would be a range toy/occasional carry gun and I like S&W blue'ing.

Another thing is I'm Leery of used guns from gun stores or from people I dont know, not as much with revolvers, but I read to many times in forums how people are getting rid of their poorly operating firearms by selling them. I could never do that. But yes two guns would fit my needs very nicely, this M-29-4 or barring that the Ruger LCRx .357 mag if they made it with adjustable rear sights. Which they dont.
View Quote

I'm sort of the opposite, I've grown fond of stainless revolvers to the point that almost all mine are now stainless.  I like the looks and the ease of maintenance but it's a personal preference kind of thing for sure.  After reading your post I looked around and there is definitely a shortage of blued .44 mag short barrel revolvers as you said.  

The Alaskan .454 loaded with .45 Colt is a heavy little beast but definitely quite capable should the need arise, be it two legged or four.  I'm a huge fan of the .45 Colt although relatively new to it having bought my first about 6 or 7 years ago.  You can load it from mild to wild and assemble the perfect cartridge for any task that a revolver may ever be called upon to handle.  So, while it wouldn't be my first choice, it would definitely fill your bill.  

If you wanted to go with the .357 magnum, one of my very favorite "man stopper" calibers, there is the Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 .357 magnum.  It's more of a black color than traditional bluing but it looks pretty darn good.  I have the stainless version that's no longer offered but the blued/black version is still available for now.  It was designed by Wiley Clapp to be the "perfect combat revolver" with "everything you need and nothing you don't".  I will have to agree with WC, it is a fantastic revolver.  Since it's a Ruger GP100 it's also built like a tank and as tough as one for sure.  Might be worth a peek if you haven't already looked them over.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Spark off a 454 indoors without hearing or eye protection and get back to us.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want it, get it. Life is short; enjoy it to its fullest! I've recently kicked around the idea of getting an M29 with a 2.5" barrel for SD myself... if I can find one that is! Is it overkill, oh yes. Will my M36's do the job, hell yes, as I'm really good with them. But that .44mag is calling me!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want it, get it. Life is short; enjoy it to its fullest! I've recently kicked around the idea of getting an M29 with a 2.5" barrel for SD myself... if I can find one that is! Is it overkill, oh yes. Will my M36's do the job, hell yes, as I'm really good with them. But that .44mag is calling me!
View Quote
I agree.  Several of the guns I've purchased in my life have left people thinking "why?".  Why? Because it appealed to me, that's the only prerequisite I have to buying a gun.  Well, also being able to afford it lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I would opt for a .44 magnum over a 454 every time.

Yes, I am aware that you can get a variety of 45 Colt loads, over the counter, but that is nowhere near what you can get with a 44.

I reload, so OTC is not an issue for me.

185 grain full wadcutters are super easy to shoot quickly and accurately in a Model 29, and if I was going to carry a N Frame for defense against humans, an easy shooting Wadcutter load makes a lot of sense.

My standard mid-range/medium load is 10 grains Unique with a 240/250 grain cast SWC. It will handle 95% of what you would want to do with a handgun, and be easy on both the shooter and the gun.

The top end load I use is 22 grains H110, with 300-320 grain cast SWCs. I use these sparingly, to save my wrists from further long term damage.  The top end load is what I call my Elk/Dinosaur/Mack Truck load. I can personally attest that it will drop big bull elk with ease.

There is quite literally nothing on the planet that I would not hunt with a .44 Magnum, loaded at various levels.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I love the .454 Casull for hunting, but I would be reluctant to utilize it for self defense...it's a liability thing.   If you are carrying it for outdoor defense - say moose or a bear, then that's a different story.   I absolutely love big boomers, but wouldn't carry the ones I own due to litigation issues if I were to have to use it against a human attacker.  Stick with the standard calibers with defense rounds that local law enforcement utilize (Masad Ayoob recommendation).

Here are my two big bang sticks that I absolutely love:

One evening pork hunt, wanted to compare the .454 and 7mm short mag.   The two with blasted faces were the .454

The other pork grenade launcher,  Gary Reeder BMF .500 S&W

Now, if you want to throw a flame out of any big boomer...especially the .454, I've used no better artillery rounds than Underwood Ammo

Underwood Ammo .454 choices

On a side note....the .454 is very manageable to shoot, the .500 S&W is really painful after just a few rounds...and it's ported.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

For CCW, I would prefer a S&W 19 or 29.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 20' 1892 lever gun in .45/.454.  It is light weight for a rifle.  It is brutal with the .454 ammo.  I can't imaging firing that through a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
My 305 grn 454 loads have 31 grains of H110 behind them. They are a handful but they are so much fun. I had a squib with on that had 28 grains of H110 behind it. Go figure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top