Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 12:20:06 PM EDT
I have been looking at getting back into the revolver game. Specific uses would be for hunting(no scopes) some(javelina, coyote etc, probably not deer), possible woods/camping gun, and just general shooting. I already have a glock 20 that I use for the things already mentioned so it isn't an absolute necessity but I like variety and was looking at something in 357 in a 4 or 6in barrel. Looking at Gp100, Smith and Wesson 627(really like the 8 shot idea,) 686 and such. Thoughts, ideas??

I really enjoyed the handgun hunting for javelina this year and see it being a norm from now on. Got to realize they are tough lil suckers but also realized fast bullets up close just poke holes in them and they run off. So 38 special or 38 special +P would actually probably be a good round for them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Either Smith or Ruger will work.  Try them on for size, one of them will speak to you.

Ruger will be less money.  Accuracy, triggers, etc are a toss up.  I've owned several of both.  There's as much variation from one Smith to the next as there is from Smith to Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You could get a S&W 610 and shoot your 10mm Auto in a revolver. 

Have you considered stepping up to 41 Mag or 44 Mag?  Your Glock 20 in 10mm Auto will perform pretty similar to 357 Magnum, so you might take this as an opportunity to a step up to some real horse power in 41 or 44 Magnum.  Of even go over the top with 454 Casull or bigger.  Even 45 Colt might have some appeal.  357 Magnum does not offer you much you don't already have.  If you're going to carry a 627 you might as well make it a 629...
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could get a S&W 610 and shoot your 10mm Auto in a revolver. 

Have you considered stepping up to 41 Mag or 44 Mag?  Your Glock 20 in 10mm Auto will perform pretty similar to 357 Magnum, so you might take this as an opportunity to a step up to some real horse power in 41 or 44 Magnum.  Of even over the top with 454 Casull or bigger.  Even 45 Colt might have some appeal.  357 Magnum does not offer you much you don't already have.  If you going to carry a 627 you might as well make it a 629...
View Quote

I'm not trying to come across rude but did you read my original post at all? I'm not looking for more power, it isn't what this gun is needed for. I can go down to 38s or stay at 357 and both are cheaper and much easier to find then 44 or especially 41 mag. 45 colt would be intriguing but 357/38 keeps it simple at this point. 10mm is a stretch on odd calibers for me. I've gone the way of trying to consolidate calibers to common stuff only.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to come across rude but did you read my original post at all? I'm not looking for more power, it isn't what this gun is needed for. I can go down to 38s or stay at 357 and both are cheaper and much easier to find then 44 or especially 41 mag. 45 colt would be intriguing but 357/38 keeps it simple at this point. 10mm is a stretch on odd calibers for me. I've gone the way of trying to consolidate calibers to common stuff only.
View Quote
Fair enough, I read it but thought I would throw out some other things to consider.  No offense taken on my part.

The only reason I suggest a S&W 610 was because you already own 10mm, common ammo and all.  It would be a very hard revolver to find.

I have a 627 and it's a big revolver, built on the N-frame that was original made for the 44 Mag.  If you're set on 357 Magnum I would suggest handling both the 627 and the 686-Plus.  You only get 7 rds on the 686-plus but I think you might find the 686 a bit more handy and hip friendly than the 627.

One other odd suggest you might consider would be 327 Federal.  It offers nearly 357 Magnum performance is smaller package.  You also have the option to shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W long and 32 S&W short in it.  Ruger offers a 6-shot version on the small SP101 double action frame and a 7-shot version built on the 357 Magnum size single action frame.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I got to shoot a Ruger Match Champion recently.  Outstanding trigger and very accurate.  I can see myself owning one of those soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Ruger Match Champion... accurate, reliable, stainless steel, lighter than a GP100 or a Smith 686 4"...can't go wrong for what you want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fair enough, I read it but thought I would throw out some other things to consider.  No offense taken on my part.

The only reason I suggest a S&W 610 was because you already own 10mm, common ammo and all.  It would be a very hard revolver to find.

I have a 627 and it's a big revolver, built on the N-frame that was original made for the 44 Mag.  If you're set on 357 Magnum I would suggest handling both the 627 and the 686-Plus.  You only get 7 rds on the 686-plus but I think you might find the 686 a bit more handy and hip friendly than the 627.

One other odd suggest you might consider would be 327 Federal.  It offers nearly 357 Magnum performance is smaller package.  You also have the option to shoot 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W long and 32 S&W short in it.  Ruger offers a 6-shot version on the small SP101 double action frame and a 7-shot version built on the 357 Magnum size single action frame.
View Quote

Your suggestions aren't bad, just not what I'm looking for. I have to admit, 44 mag would be my choice if 44 special was easier to come by. the 44 special would be big enough but slow enough to dump its energy without just going straight threw. Which is what I am looking for. One of the javelina that was shot, had been hit 4 times before dying! 3 times with the 10mm and the last was a 44 mag. It wasn't lacking power that caused it, it was that the 10mm was just poking holes straight through and not doing enough damage on the way out. Exit holes were about same size as entrance. They are a tricky little animal to get down if you don't get an exact vital hit. Which is easy to not do if they are spooked or on the move. The 357/38 just seems to offer a good compromise on all things. I've handled 686s, gp100s and they felt good. Never handled a bigger 627 though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your suggestions aren't bad, just not what I'm looking for. I have to admit, 44 mag would be my choice if 44 special was easier to come by. the 44 special would be big enough but slow enough to dump its energy without just going straight threw. Which is what I am looking for. One of the javelina that was shot, had been hit 4 times before dying! 3 times with the 10mm and the last was a 44 mag. It wasn't lacking power that caused it, it was that the 10mm was just poking holes straight through and not doing enough damage on the way out. Exit holes were about same size as entrance. They are a tricky little animal to get down if you don't get an exact vital hit. Which is easy to not do if they are spooked or on the move. The 357/38 just seems to offer a good compromise on all things. I've handled 686s, gp100s and they felt good. Never handled a bigger 627 though.
View Quote

That sounds like a bullet selection problem, not a cartridge selection problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah the 627 is nice and easy shooting.  All that weight makes is very shootable even with pretty stout 357 but you notice the extra weight if it spends alot of time on your belt.

Curious what bullet you were using in the 10mm on the javelina?  I took two deer with my 10mm (200gr XTP bullets) this year and the first one fell in its tracks and the second made it about 10ft.  A good bullet in 10mm or 44 Mag should have made short work of a Javalina.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might want to rethink that "N frame was originally made for the 44 mag" thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You might want to rethink that "N frame was originally made for the 44 mag" thing.
View Quote

Picky picky. Yes the Model 27 was the first N-frame and was 357 Mag.  But since 1955 then the overwhelming number of N-frames have been made as 44 Mag, more than all other N-frame chamberings combined.  The 44 Magnum fits the N-frame very nicely.   A 6-shot 357 Magnum N-frame seems excessively silly to me.  The 8-shot N-frames at least take advantage of the large frame size.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Picky picky. Yes the Model 27 was the first N-frame and was 357 Mag.  But since 1955 then the overwhelming number of N-frames have been made as 44 Mag, more than all other N-frame chamberings combined.  The 44 Magnum fits the N-frame very nicely.   A 6-shot 357 Magnum N-frame seems excessively silly to me.  The 8-shot N-frames at least take advantage of the large frame size.
View Quote

Ok I'm just having fun so don't take this the wrong way, but no.
S&W didn't put Model numbers on until 1957, the gun (M27) was made for many years without a model number.
The N frame dates to 1908, in .44 special.
They've been made in several calibers, I know of these: 44 special, 38 special, 357 mag, 45 acp, 455 for the UK and of course 44 mag. The True S&W Guru's probably know of others.
It certainly was a great host gun for when the 44 mag finally came along tho.

edit: forgot 41 mag, my brother has one of those.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes partially, but one of my hunting partners hit his with a 40 hollow point  and it did the same thing. Doing some talking to people who hunt javelina regularly with pistols tell me the same thing. They can be hard to drop immediately with a pistol on the first shot. A lot of those who had good luck getting down quickly were using 45 autos with hollow points. Slow moving bullets seem to work well from my gathering. They don't have a thick hide or fat so it not lack of penetration.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ok I'm just having fun so don't take this the wrong way, but no.
S&W didn't put Model numbers on until 1957, the gun (M27) was made for many years without a model number.
The N frame dates to 1908, in .44 special.
They've been made in several calibers, I know of these: 44 special, 38 special, 357 mag, 45 acp, 455 for the UK and of course 44 mag. The True S&W Guru's probably know of others.
It certainly was a great host gun for when the 44 mag finally came along tho.
View Quote

Yeah I always forget that the model numbers we refer to S&W's where not always the names they used back then.  The model 10 was not always the model 10.  I did not realize that the 44 Special when it first came out was what we now call the N-frame.  Learn something new every day.

You did forgot the 10mm Auto in the S&W 610 N-frame.  Mall Ninjas need a revolver too!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes partially, but one of my hunting partners hit his with a 40 hollow point  and it did the same thing. Doing some talking to people who hunt javelina regularly with pistols tell me the same thing. They can be hard to drop immediately with a pistol on the first shot. A lot of those who had good luck getting down quickly were using 45 autos with hollow points. Slow moving bullets seem to work well from my gathering. They don't have a thick hide or fat so it not lack of penetration.
View Quote

What bullet were you using?

There are a lot of expanding bullets that open up faster than others.
I have a bit of a javelina problem at my place so I know how small/light they are.
I think I've got them pretty much run off tho now : )
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah the 627 is nice and easy shooting.  All that weight makes is very shootable even with pretty stout 357 but you notice the extra weight if it spends alot of time on your belt.

Curious what bullet you were using in the 10mm on the javelina?  I took two deer with my 10mm (200gr XTP bullets) this year and the first one fell in its tracks and the second made it about 10ft.  A good bullet in 10mm or 44 Mag should have made short work of a Javalina.
View Quote

I've hunted most of my life but its all been deer, elk etc with rifles and birds, rabbits with shotguns, rimfires, etc. Been around javelina all my life but never cared to hunt them as I never really thought twice about them. Buddy said it was lot of fun to hunt them with pistols and he liked the meat so I decided why not, plus he'd take the meat I don't care for. Win, win. Well I thought I knew more then I did and thought a small animal like that would drop easily just about with any pistol round available. Mistake number one. I used some underwood ammo 180 fmjs. Well it didn't work out to well . Switched to some hollowpoints and it did get better but they still did drop on the first shot. I think there bodies are so small and the lack of hide density, the bullets never really get a chance to dump there energy. I also realize that it may be better to aim for the neck or alittle farther forward as there vital area is farther forward then a animal like a deer. My buddy using his 40 had the same issue only he was using a hollowpoints the whole time. However, our other hunting buddy, 3 of us on this hunt, used his 1911 and when he hit the pig(not really pigs but we call em that anyway), it dropped immediately. Didn't die immediately but it was hit good enough to anchor it and put a finishing shot into it. This was a huge learning lesson for us. I've known people to kill em with 22s. Yet the 40 and 10 were hitting them but not doing enough internal damage to drop on the spot. 45 is big and slow. 22 is small, but slow. I think we figured out our mistakes plus not to underestimate the game we hunt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What bullet were you using?

There are a lot of expanding bullets that open up faster than others.
I have a bit of a javelina problem at my place so I know how small/light they are.
I think I've got them pretty much run off tho now : )
View Quote

Me: 180 grain fmjs
hunting partners: 180 grain 40 s&w hollwpoints and  230 grain 45 auto hollowpoints.

They are small but are tough for there size. Again, my mistake was thinking bullet selection mattered not on them due to size. Lesson learned big time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly last year I (finally) got into 44 Magnums and I would do that.  For the purposes you suggest I think it is a more useful round than .357/.38.  

As far as "new" revolver I would not bother.  There are a lot of really neat old S&Ws on gunbroker that I routinely salivate over.They just don't make revolvers like they used to.  Of course, the reason they're on Gunbroker is because now they are big $$.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you should really reconsider the 44mag if hunting is in the mix, especially given your experience with the 10mm and 40 on javalina.

A 44mag is not brutal to shoot in any respect, especially with standard fare 240gr bullets and is more than up to the challenge of putting down a javalina with authority. It can get a bit sporty if you load heavy bullets (300-320gr) over a case full of magnum powder, but in the normal offerings you can pretty much go out and shoot it all day without any ill effects, particularly so if you are already used to shooting your 10mm.

As an added bonus if you happen across a true feral hog you will have enough gun to make that happen.

In reality there is nothing that the .357 does that a 44mag will not do better.

Put it in a decent platform like a Smith 629, Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk and it will be a killing machine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Smiths and Rugers   The Ruger single action is a perfect fit. I wear it in a western style holster. If you hunt, I would go with a six inch barrel and keep shots close.

Quoted:
I have been looking at getting back into the revolver game. Specific uses would be for hunting(no scopes) some(javelina, coyote etc, probably not deer), possible woods/camping gun, and just general shooting. I already have a glock 20 that I use for the things already mentioned so it isn't an absolute necessity but I like variety and was looking at something in 357 in a 4 or 6in barrel. Looking at Gp100, Smith and Wesson 627(really like the 8 shot idea,) 686 and such. Thoughts, ideas??

I really enjoyed the handgun hunting for javelina this year and see it being a norm from now on. Got to realize they are tough lil suckers but also realized fast bullets up close just poke holes in them and they run off. So 38 special or 38 special +P would actually probably be a good round for them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah I always forget that the model numbers we refer to S&W's where not always the names they used back then.  The model 10 was not always the model 10.  I did not realize that the 44 Special when it first came out was what we now call the N-frame.  Learn something new every day.

You did forgot the 10mm Auto in the S&W 610 N-frame.  Mall Ninjas need a revolver too!  
View Quote

I'm sure I left out a lot of other calibers as well.
I have no beef with 10mm, and don't consider any caliber "Mall Ninja". Anybody that's (non criminal creep) burning powder, it's a good thing to me.
How many rounds does the N frame 10mm hold?
And is the 10mm hunting bullet selection as wide ranging as for common revolver chamberings?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Me: 180 grain fmjs
hunting partners: 180 grain 40 s&w hollwpoints and  230 grain 45 auto hollowpoints.

They are small but are tough for there size. Again, my mistake was thinking bullet selection mattered not on them due to size. Lesson learned big time.
View Quote

Well for sure you could find better suited bullet for javelina in 10mm, but like you said, there's something appealing about a 8 shot 357 revolver : )
I have a S&W 586 in 4", 357, that I just love. You can get those in 7 shot as you probably already know.
If you're not stuck on double action, Ruger Blackhawks are really inexpensive and you just can't wear them out. .
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think you should really reconsider the 44mag if hunting is in the mix, especially given your experience with the 10mm and 40 on javalina.

A 44mag is not brutal to shoot in any respect, especially with standard fare 240gr bullets and is more than up to the challenge of putting down a javalina with authority. It can get a bit sporty if you load heavy bullets (300-320gr) over a case full of magnum powder, but in the normal offerings you can pretty much go out and shoot it all day without any ill effects, particularly so if you are already used to shooting your 10mm.

As an added bonus if you happen across a true feral hog you will have enough gun to make that happen.

In reality there is nothing that the .357 does that a 44mag will not do better.

Put it in a decent platform like a Smith 629, Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk and it will be a killing machine.
View Quote

The 44 is not necessary for javelina. They are not built like a pig or hog. They are tough but its not because there hide or body structure is thick. Only 30-60 lb animal. Average is usually about 40lbs. They have a very strong will to survive and are stubborn, Basically opposite of what a rabbit is, lol. My hunting with a revolver in 357 would not be on things like bear or deer. Smaller animals(coyote size) on occasion like i've stated. Bigger and faster is not always good. Not in this case. I'd stick with the 10mm before I went to 44 mag for javelina. I definetly don't need heavy 44 mag loads for them either. People have killed them with 22s. Maybe I need a slower heavier 10mm round. Perhaps a light load going like 1000 fps or something under with a 200 grain bullet or so. Not sure if theres any factory offerings about that size but I need to look. Magnums are just not necessary for these small animals. Unless shooting at long distances. Thus why Id use 38 specials most of the time for them and then 357s for anything else that needs longer range. My shots were less then 25 yards each time on this hunt. The guy using a slow round is the one who  knocked his down on the first shot, and it stayed down. I'd find blood and no animal. Find the animal, shoot it again, it would run. Once we got them down and skinned, we found that the bullets had past clean through the animal but didn't hit enough vitals going through to get a quick kill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm sure I left out a lot of other calibers as well.
I have no beef with 10mm, and don't consider any caliber "Mall Ninja". Anybody that's (non criminal creep) burning powder, it's a good thing to me.
How many rounds does the N frame 10mm hold?
And is the 10mm hunting bullet selection as wide ranging as for common revolver chamberings?
View Quote

10mm Auto is a solid cartridge.  My personal beef is more with the 10mm Auto internet fanboys that take it's virtues a bit over the top thus my frequently refer to 10mm Auto as a Mall Ninja cartridge.  It is a good cartridge but not the miracle death-ray is rabid proponents like to make it out to be.

S&W 610 is a 6-Shot revolver.  It's definitely a niche revolver.  Unless you are already invested in 40S&W/10mm Auto you can probably find something better in an N-frame.  Get greater ballistic performance and the same 6-shot capacity from 41 Mag or 44 Mag.  Get more capacity and similar ballistics with 357 Mag.  I bought my S&W 610 for use in USPSA Revolver competition.  Was already reloading 40S&W so I could shoot the exact same 40S&W ammunition in my Limited/Limited 10 gun and my Revolver.  Not to mention I got a smoking deal on the Revolver.

40S&W / 10mm bullet selection pretty broad.  135-220gr in FMJ, HP, and various cast lead shapes are readily available.  For hunting I prefer 200gr or 180gr Hornady XTP bullets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is 44 Special hard to find? I've never bought any.
I've got 3 boxes, my Dad carried a 44 Spc the last years of his life but I've never looked for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is 44 Special hard to find? I've never bought any.
I've got 3 boxes, my Dad carried a 44 Spc the last years of his life but I've never looked for it.
View Quote

Compared to 357 and 44 mag, yes. By far. It would be a great to get the benefits of a hard hitting 44 mag when needed but the slower big punch of a 44 special when I need something to NOT over penetrate. Who knows, I still may go that route and just bite the bullet(no pun intended) and buy a 44 mag and get some neutered, expensive 44 special rounds just for javelina hunting. 750-900 fps with a 240 grain hollowpoint would be great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Compared to 357 and 44 mag, yes. By far. It would be a great to get the benefits of a hard hitting 44 mag when needed but the slower big punch of a 44 special when I need something to NOT over penetrate. Who knows, I still may go that route and just bite the bullet(no pun intended) and buy a 44 mag and get some neutered, expensive 44 special rounds just for javelina hunting. 750-900 fps with a 240 grain hollowpoint would be great.
View Quote

RELOAD : )
A relaxing hobby, that produced magically inexpensive, tailored to purpose ammo.

But you knew that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

RELOAD : )
A relaxing hobby, that produced magically inexpensive, tailored to purpose ammo.

But you knew that.
View Quote

I knew that one was coming
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

10mm Auto is a solid cartridge.  My personal beef is more with the 10mm Auto internet fanboys that take it's virtues a bit over the top thus my frequently refer to 10mm Auto as a Mall Ninja cartridge.  It is a good cartridge but not the miracle death-ray is rabid proponents like to make it out to be.

S&W 610 is a 6-Shot revolver.  It's definitely a niche revolver.  Unless you are already invested in 40S&W/10mm Auto you can probably find something better in an N-frame.  Get greater ballistic performance and the same 6-shot capacity from 41 Mag or 44 Mag.  Get more capacity and similar ballistics with 357 Mag.  I bought my S&W 610 for use in USPSA Revolver competition.  Was already reloading 40S&W so I could shoot the exact same 40S&W ammunition in my Limited/Limited 10 gun and my Revolver.  Not to mention I got a smoking deal on the Revolver.

40S&W / 10mm bullet selection pretty broad.  135-220gr in FMJ, HP, and various cast lead shapes are readily available.  For hunting I prefer 200gr or 180gr Hornady XTP bullets.
View Quote

Right, it's been interesting to watch.
1st the 10mm was almost dead, then it became the equal of a 357 mag, then it was = to 41 mag, now it's about to surpass 44 mag.
I expect withing 18 months it will rival the 500
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#30]
627 PC.

Or an older 686 6", though the discount on a 30 year old used revolver won't be much.  Pretty much all S&Ws made before the late 1990s are gaining in value.  Not quite like the pre-1980 ones, but a little.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I prefer the weight and balance of the non-underlugged barrel Model 19 and Model 66 to the current 686.

On the other hand, if you plan on a steady diet of .357 Magnum, the L frame 586, 686 and 686+ are better suited to that due to their heavier forcing cone.

You can still get a new 4" Model 66, or 4" or 6" 586, 686 or 686+.

---

Caliber wise the .41 and 44 mag throw a bigger bullet, have more energy, etc, but unless you plan on hand gun hunting an elk or a grizzly, it really doesn't offer any real performance advantage over a .41 Mag or .44 Mag - they just recoil harder and a lot harder respectively.

The .357 Mag is the sweet spot as a defensive round as while others do it as well nothing really does any better, yet in a K or L frame revolver it won't beat you up and it's capable of excellent accuracy.      A 6" revolver also has a sight radius that is long enough to help minimize the sight alignment errors and grip issues that many pistol and revolver shooters have.

The K frame Model 17 and Model 617 also give you a very comparable .22 LR sub caliber practice revolver, and the Model 17 in particular tends to be a tack driver. I routinely shoot mine standing offhand  at 8" plates at 100 yards and 5 shots out of 6 shots is the norm:

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Ended up with a GP100. Still like the idea of a 8 shot revolver but not enough to spend the extra cash right now. It seems like a really good pistol. Will start putting some range time soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ended up with a GP100. Still like the idea of a 8 shot revolver but not enough to spend the extra cash right now. It seems like a really good pistol. Will start putting some range time soon.
View Quote
Excellent choice, I really like the GP100.  What barrel length did you get? I love my 3" Wiley Clapp GP100, it's a fantastic revolver all around but I'd also like to get a 4 or 5" for outdoor use.  The 3" just doesn't have the barrel length to make full use of the hotter hunting loads.  I tried a couple times and just got huge flashes and a lot of unburned powder.  Now that I've started reloading I'm going to try and develop a "hot" load that will work in the 3" barrel if that's even possible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Excellent choice, I really like the GP100.  What barrel length did you get? I love my 3" Wiley Clapp GP100, it's a fantastic revolver all around but I'd also like to get a 4 or 5" for outdoor use.  The 3" just doesn't have the barrel length to make full use of the hotter hunting loads.  I tried a couple times and just got huge flashes and a lot of unburned powder.  Now that I've started reloading I'm going to try and develop a "hot" load that will work in the 3" barrel if that's even possible.
View Quote
Went with the 4inch. I think 6 would of been good for me too but I'm really happy with it either way. Just did the Wolff spring upgrade. Feels pretty smooth. I'll see if it helps at the range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I only own 3 revolvers so my experience is limited. Of those you mentioned the 686 I think would be a good choice in the 4 inch. If you can swing the extra get a performance center model.

Best of luck!

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I read the post above yours, that the OP made, your response was precisely what I was thinking.  Choosing the right projectile is paramount.

Plus discounting the .44 would be a critical thinking error, as far as I am concerned. I regularly hunt small game in the off season. I simply choose the right projectile/load for the task, and rock on.

Purely my opinion, but when I want more than what a .38 can offer, I skip the .357 and go straight to mild .44s. Mild .44s are probably one of the best kept secrets of the handgunning world.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Good choice.  I have a 4 inch SS Gp100 and picked it as best all around for a 357.

125 gr bullets and a near max load of IMR4227 has been very accurate in any 357 Magnum I have fired it in.   Great for game smaller than deer.  Once had a 6 inch S&W M19 with a scope that shot really tight groups at 100 yards with that load.

S&W is now making a new Model 66-8 that is beefed up for heavy load use.   A 4 inch and 2.75 inch version is available.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I read the post above yours, that the OP made, your response was precisely what I was thinking.  Choosing the right projectile is paramount.

Plus discounting the .44 would be a critical thinking error, as far as I am concerned. I regularly hunt small game in the off season. I simply choose the right projectile/load for the task, and rock on.

Purely my opinion, but when I want more than what a .38 can offer, I skip the .357 and go straight to mild .44s. Mild .44s are probably one of the best kept secrets of the handgunning world.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/dec2006035-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Flattop44WildBoar10GrainsUniqueD-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Jackrabbits/dec2006213.jpg
View Quote
It was a bullet selection issue as I stated in previous post. Light 44 loads would be good. Like 44 special loads. Might end up with one someday when gun money replenishes its self again. 38 is fine for what I plan to hunt. Javelina are not built like hogs. They have a thin skin and virtually no fat. They're just tough. Not sure how or why. Mountain lions are thin skinned also but are not tough when it comes to handling a bullet. Again, not sure why but they seem to die fairly easier considering there size.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a .44 Magnum.  It is an amazingly versatile cartridge.  Find a vintage 629 on GB.  I bought a 629-1 for $800 earlier this year to complement a 629-6 that I have had since 2004.  Cheaper than a new one, and not even in the same category in terms of quality.  If you must have new, then get a Ruger SRH.  I recently bought a SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull, and if anything it is overbuilt.  I would not buy a new production S&W at this point.  They are shameful in terms of build quality.

Buy a reloading press and start making your own .44 magnum ammo.  You can load it lighter than a 45 ACP or full house.  There are a vast array of bullet and powder options.  Stick with published data, obviously.  You will end up with very cheap ammo tailored to your needs, and it may quickly become your favorite handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top