Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 1:17:04 PM EDT
I found an ad at a gunstore saying they had a S&W Model 21 for sale. There weren't any pictures or anything, so I figured it would be one of the Thunder Ranch ones which is the only Model 21 I've heard of. When I got there one of they guys said something about it being the coated revolver, so I was thinking great it was probably cerakoted some goofy color. I'm thinking it might be hard chrome, because isn't nickel brighter than that?

Then when they were filling out the paperwork there was trouble because there was no model number on it.

That got me to thinking, 5 screws, different hammer and no model number, this thing might be older than I think it is. When I got home I did a little looking and I'm pretty sure it's a 3rd Model Hand Ejector.

Since I hate Pachmyers I swapped them out with the targets of my M28.

So how did I do for about $650? And also, the thing on the trigger should just unscrew right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a cool gun. Too bad they coated it though. I'd love a beater like that, just in blue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a cool gun. Too bad they coated it though. I'd love a beater like that, just in blue.
View Quote

I'm thinking about having it reblued.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just leave it like it is and shoot the snot out of it. The refinish killed any collectible value it had so throwing good money into it now will not help any. That's a nice N frame.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't care about the value of it, I just like blued guns better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a 5 screw...........prenumber model........it has been armaloyed.    After market finish that got started in the early 1970's.  

Thinking you probably have a 38/44 model.    A model that first to use large fames for 38 special hot loads.   Should be a good shooter.

Not much collector value because of the refinish.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a 5 screw...........prenumber model........it has been armaloyed.    After market finish that got started in the early 1970's.  

Thinking you probably have a 38/44 model.    A model that first to use large fames for 38 special hot loads.   Should be a good shooter.

Not much collector value because of the refinish.
View Quote

38/44s aren't chambered in 44 Special.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't find my S&W bible right now, but I do believe your supposition is correct. 

I'd remove the trigger shoe. Also, if the gun is mechanically in good shape, maybe look to Ford's or some other refinisher. I can imagine that's Ford's high polish blue and some proper targets from John Culina would make the weapon look absolutely stunning.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't find my S&W bible right now, but I do believe your supposition is correct. 

I'd remove the trigger shoe. Also, if the gun is mechanically in good shape, maybe look to Ford's or some other refinisher. I can imagine that's Ford's high polish blue and some proper targets from John Culina would make the weapon look absolutely stunning.
View Quote

I did take it off. Everything feels tight, now, I just need to make sure it can really shoot. I was thinking of getting either a set of Cokes or if I can find some, a set of Skeeter Skelton grips.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found an ad at a gunstore saying they had a S&W Model 21 for sale. There weren't any pictures or anything, so I figured it would be one of the Thunder Ranch ones which is the only Model 21 I've heard of. When I got there one of they guys said something about it being the coated revolver, so I was thinking great it was probably cerakoted some goofy color. I'm thinking it might be hard chrome, because isn't nickel brighter than that?

Then when they were filling out the paperwork there was trouble because there was no model number on it.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16684465_264371964000033_1395951065_n_zps0sl5are8.jpg

That got me to thinking, 5 screws, different hammer and no model number, this thing might be older than I think it is. When I got home I did a little looking and I'm pretty sure it's a 3rd Model Hand Ejector.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16730712_264371980666698_722422898_n_zps3kt7okto.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16699973_264371970666699_2030096825_n_zpspxauxzsc.jpg

[size=4]Since I hate Pachmyers I swapped them out with the targets of my M28.</font>

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16706868_264373293999900_1271663527_n_zpsda4lovdz.jpg

So how did I do for about $650? And also, the thing on the trigger should just unscrew right?
View Quote

I hate you! I'm really into .44special OP. That is a nice pistol. Good job on swapping out those hideous Pachmyers for a pair of wood stocks from another Smith! Looks good. Speer makes a 200 grain GD load that performs really well, light-medium recoil, a very good all around round choice. Check out Altamontco.com for some more grip choices if you feel the need. I'm really digging their combat grips as of late... Their smooth combat "Bateleur Super Rosewood" grips would look and feel killer on that piece you got there! Check them out Here! For $50 shipped they are quite a value!

Yes, the trigger shoe comes off. Try shooting with it on there to see if you like it first though.

The finish looks to be Hard Chrome. It's one of my favorite finishes because it's very hard, very durable, and it looks really good as well. Being refinished does reduce the value of the pistol, (who cares on a shooter pistol that isn't a collectors/display piece), but it's moot because the Hard Chrome finish is much more durable than the blued one, (that was probably scratched all to hell), that was replaced. I like that pistol OP. Enjoy and shoot the hell out of it. That finish will last forever!

ETA: I see where another member says the refinish is in: Armaloy... It's still a pretty durable finish. This pistol is a shooter and I wouldn't worry about it. I love blued and parkerized pistols the best. But I wouldn't refinish this pistol OP...
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
$650 seem way to high for that gun, but I agree with the others to shoot it as is.  I wouldn't toss more money into having it refinished.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would just leave it like it is and shoot the snot out of it. The refinish killed any collectible value it had so throwing good money into it now will not help any. That's a nice N frame.
View Quote

Agree totally. Also what is the serial number? Be aware the number in the yoke /crane area in this vintage of S&W is NOT the serial number. Serial number is on bottom of the butt
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agree totally. Also what is the serial number? Be aware the number in the yoke /crane area in this vintage of S&W is NOT the serial number. Serial number is on bottom of the butt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

59342 No prefix. It's under the barrel in the picture I posted, but it's not really legible.

Quoted:

I hate you! I'm really into .44special OP. That is a nice pistol. Good job on swapping out those hideous Pachmyers for a pair of wood stocks from another Smith! Looks good. Speer makes a 200 grain GD load that performs really well, light-medium recoil, a very good all around round choice. Check out Altamontco.com for some more grip choices if you feel the need. I'm really digging their combat grips as of late... Their smooth combat "Bateleur Super Rosewood" grips would look and feel killer on that piece you got there! Check them out Here! For $50 shipped they are quite a value!

Yes, the trigger shoe comes off. Try shooting with it on there to see if you like it first though.

The finish looks to be Hard Chrome. It's one of my favorite finishes because it's very hard, very durable, and it looks really good as well. Being refinished does reduce the value of the pistol, (who cares on a shooter pistol that isn't a collectors/display piece), but it's moot because the Hard Chrome finish is much more durable than the blued one, (that was probably scratched all to hell), that was replaced. I like that pistol OP. Enjoy and shoot the hell out of it. That finish will last forever!

ETA: I see where another member says the refinish is in: Armaloy... It's still a pretty durable finish. This pistol is a shooter and I wouldn't worry about it. I love blued and parkerized pistols the best. But I wouldn't refinish this pistol OP...

I was thinking about either some repo Cokes or trying to find a set of Skeeter Skelton grips for it.

I tried dry firing it with the shoe on and I didn't like it, but I don't like normal target triggers either.

I just have this thing with silver guns where no matter how much I like the gun I end up getting rid of it and replacing it with a blued/parked one.

It also has the previous owners name on the backstrap, and did a little looking and found a Reno Kirby that was a sergeant for Houston PD for 39 years. I bought it in Pasadena, so it would be cool if it was his. It would explain the hard chrome or Armaloy or whatever the hell it is.

And took another picture of it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Armoloy (note the spelling).  I bought a Model 28 in the late '70s that had been Armoloyed and the finish was just flat out amazing.  I could shoot anything, dirty up the bore and the outside, run a couple patches with Hoppes #9 down the bore and wipe the outside and it would look pristine.  I couldn't scratch the finish with a file.  It was a satin look and I'd happily do any of my carry guns in Armoloy today if they still existed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd leave it just as it is and shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful piece. Well done.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm thinking about it. I'd really like to have it reblued, but with the polishing and fixing the frame markings, it'll run close to what I paid for the gun. Dry firing it it has the best trigger I've ever seen, so I might be able to overlook my hatred of nonblued guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about it. I'd really like to have it reblued, but with the polishing and fixing the frame markings, it'll run close to what I paid for the gun. Dry firing it it has the best trigger I've ever seen, so I might be able to overlook my hatred of nonblued guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's basically a piece of useful/usable Americana art. Beautiful in it's own context even if not your ideal style.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I was about to wish a pox on the bubba who had that gun coated (while thinking about what the original piece looked like. (sigh....)

But on the other hand if it was the gun of a southern Cop who had to try and keep it in good shape it was quite the wise move at the time .
Pretty beefy gun to carry every day but I am thinking the past owner was a shooter.

I do believe (as suggested) I would have given the trigger shoe a try. Looks silly now but back some time ago they were quite the rage . Not sure if they were just a fad that everyone wanted to look cool or if they worked that good?

Nothing at all wrong with a 44spl. Wouldn't be cool for hunting big bear but it looks like it could work for most anything else.

I know testing more or less proves 9,40 or 45acp are all about the same for self defense with the correct bullets but something like 44spl gives me comfort

I believe the OP is correct to not restore , just shoot it
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Armoloy (note the spelling).  I bought a Model 28 in the late '70s that had been Armoloyed and the finish was just flat out amazing.  I could shoot anything, dirty up the bore and the outside, run a couple patches with Hoppes #9 down the bore and wipe the outside and it would look pristine.  I couldn't scratch the finish with a file.  It was a satin look and I'd happily do any of my carry guns in Armoloy today if they still existed.
View Quote
Ask and you shall receive...........Armoloy home site.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was about to wish a pox on the bubba who had that gun coated (while thinking about what the original piece looked like. (sigh....)

But on the other hand if it was the gun of a southern Cop who had to try and keep it in good shape it was quite the wise move at the time .
Pretty beefy gun to carry every day but I am thinking the past owner was a shooter.

I do believe (as suggested) I would have given the trigger shoe a try. Looks silly now but back some time ago they were quite the rage . Not sure if they were just a fad that everyone wanted to look cool or if they worked that good?

Nothing at all wrong with a 44spl. Wouldn't be cool for hunting big bear but it looks like it could work for most anything else.

I know testing more or less proves 9,40 or 45acp are all about the same for self defense with the correct bullets but something like 44spl gives me comfort

I believe the OP is correct to not restore , just shoot it
View Quote

Regardless of whether I decide to reblue it and restore it to it's former glory or not, I'm going to shoot the hell out of it. I've gone through the hell of trying to keep a blued gun from rusting when it's out in the rain and the weather, so I completely understand getting it coated if I have the right person as the former owner, but, there's just something about a blued gun.

My EDC goes back and forth between a 5" Colt 1911 and a 4" M28, so really it wouldn't be that much difference in a carry gun for me.

I could give the trigger shoe a try, but I don't like a target trigger that much, let alone one that takes up so much room in the trigger guard.

All I can find locally are some popgun cowboy loads, so now I have to finish getting my reloading stuff set up.

And you can show me all the ballistic test you want, I got with my experience shooting deer...the bigger hole the better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Needs some service or Magna style grips and a Tyler T-grip.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I like it the way it is.  I have a soft spot for fixed sight revolvers.  The only thing that would make that revolver better would be if it was a round butt and a set of rubber grips.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

59342 No prefix. It's under the barrel in the picture I posted, but it's not really legible.

I was thinking about either some repo Cokes or trying to find a set of Skeeter Skelton grips for it.

I tried dry firing it with the shoe on and I didn't like it, but I don't like normal target triggers either.

I just have this thing with silver guns where no matter how much I like the gun I end up getting rid of it and replacing it with a blued/parked one.

It also has the previous owners name on the backstrap, and did a little looking and found a Reno Kirby that was a sergeant for Houston PD for 39 years. I bought it in Pasadena, so it would be cool if it was his. It would explain the hard chrome or Armaloy or whatever the hell it is.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16736177_264373297333233_427903120_n_zpsl9ycsstb.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16729633_264599113977318_1253552431_n_zpsulboqypp.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16736177_264373297333233_427903120_n_zpsl9ycsstb.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/16729633_264599113977318_1253552431_n_zpsulboqypp.jpg

That is so bad ass! A bit of modern history this pistol is!!! I'd keep it, as is; the only thing I would do is put a pair of your favorite stocks on her and remove that trigger shoe... To me, with the history being an ex-law man's working pistol, the engraving on the back strap, etc... It makes the pistol more desirable to someone like me. Let me know if you ever do decide to sell it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Back in the 70ties it was fashionable to build a 44 Special out of various N frame revolvers.  Barrels and cylinders were available.   Fixed sight 38/44 and 1917 45 ACP N frame revolvers were cheap back then.  Take the grips off and see if the serial number matches the barrel number.  Also see what letters are stamped on the frame.  

It is a nice revolver as is.   Houston is a very humid place and in the 70ties Armaloy was a good way to protect a gun from rust.   I did up a 1911.  Still needs a bit of oil.

With handloads, you can push a 250 gr cast Keith bullet to 1000 fps.

Houston P.D. did use the 44 Special 3rd model in the 30ties.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, you ever decide what you were going to do to this classic piece of history? New grips I believe it was you were deciding... Any new pics/updates??? I really love a Smith .44Spec...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, you ever decide what you were going to do to this classic piece of history? New grips I believe it was you were deciding... Any new pics/updates??? I really love a Smith .44Spec...
View Quote
I decided I'm going to just leave it finished like it is instead of rebluing it. And I'm still trying to decide what kind of grips I want to get.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently picked up a 5" N frame myself, and targets don't balance well for me.  I went with Altamont's magna-size grips plus a Tyler T-grip.  Pistol feels perfect now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a 5" N frame myself, and targets don't balance well for me.  I went with Altamont's magna-size grips plus a Tyler T-grip.  Pistol feels perfect now.
View Quote
I don't really care for magnas. I have a set with an eagle carved on one side (similar to Elmer Keith's) and they're ok. I was thinking maybe a set of service stocks and a Tyler T, a set of Ahrend Retro Targets like I put on my Model 29, or maybe a set of the wood Hogue Monogrips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top