Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 6:52:53 PM EDT
So I saw a very cool performance center pistol many years ago and wanted to hunt one down.

It was a 6"ish bull bbl .38 with a factory OD green finish. It was heavy and had an amazing action, definitely a target pistol of some sort. I really regret passing on it now.

Anyone have any ideas? No luck with google so far.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Googled "od green s&w performance center" 

EDIT-- Not same gun, this one is .44... but maybe it will help with search terms? 

Came up with Smith & Wesson PC 629 Stealth Hunter in an armslist ad.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2369624/maine-handguns-for-sale-trade--smith---wesson-pc-629-stealth-hunter--44-magnum-nato-birdsong-od-green
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
"birdsong" od green is apperantly the magic word, here's the .357 model 681 .357

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like they've made this recently. Let me see if I can find anything on it. There's nothing as you described in the S&W encyclopedia.

ETA: not the OD green finish but similar to what you described.  https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-mp-r8
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas! Haven't found an exact match yet, but I'm betting the birdsong key word will get me there. Will post back when I find it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Double Post - See Below
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks fellas! Haven't found an exact match yet, but I'm betting the birdsong key word will get me there. Will post back when I find it.
View Quote

Good luck on your quest...  It is always a challenge to find your Grail gun... The gun in the performance center photo appears to be 1 of 500 according to a post at the S&W Forums,  that post was an $850.00 sale from 2014. 681 Birdsong  It took me years to find my Grail gun which was a S&W 629-5 Mountain Backpacker.  I found one in North Carolina and bought it from Hyatts.   Seven months later a second one showed up in Texas on Gunbroker and I bought that one also.  Happy Hunting !!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good luck on your quest...  It is always a challenge to find your Grail gun... The gun in the performance center photo appears to be 1 of 500 according to a post at the S&W Forums,  that post was an $850.00 sale from 2014. 681 Birdsong  It took me years to find my Grail gun which was a S&W 629-5 Mountain Backpacker.  I found one in North Carolina and bought it from Hyatts.   Seven months later a second one showed up in Texas on Gunbroker and I bought that one also.  Happy Hunting !!
View Quote
Thanks! Not my grail gun, but it's definitely up there. Grail gun was a Python, but got one of those last year. Next grail gun is M-107 .

Ive seen a couple of references to the .357 and .44 birdsongs, but this one was definitely a .38. Got a lead, just have to take the time to go look at it. Hoping for the best.

Birdsong is a couple of hours up the road, I need to go visit them one day if this lead doesn't pan out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I found it! The man I remembered having the gun still had it, we worked out a trade. It developed some safe scratches over the years, but it's still in really good condition.

Must be a one off custom gun or something. Model says Mod 10-5.

its a straight double action revolver with an insanely heavy bull bbl and one of the best double action triggers I've ever felt.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a custom built Bianchi Cup revolver.  Would have had some optic mounted on those tapped holes in the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like a custom built Bianchi Cup revolver.  Would have had some optic mounted on those tapped holes in the barrel.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I've yet to find one similar on the web. Loving the gun though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL good lord look at that thing... 

Awesome you got it!!!!

As mentioned  could have been a cup pistol, also I've seen PPC pistols like that come up for sale, here's a quick google. 

The placement of the tapped holes looks more like a big ribbed iron sight to me, it's very close to the pattern on my bulls-eye 1911. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a custom bull barrel revolver for PPC or Bianchi Cup
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Haha, yeah. She's a weird looking bitch, but I like the uniqueness of the gun. I've never seen one like it in my travels, so I had to have it! 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top