Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 4:05:09 PM EDT
I've been wanting to buy a nice revolver that is a shooters gun.  I've been looking at Pythons, but they are so high and I don't know if I would want to shoot it even if I shelled out $3,500 + for a like new one...

What about Korth?  Are these revolvers smoother and more accurate than a python?  The price tag is not the problem, I just want a good shooter and would feel bad to blast away with a like new python.  I have a couple S&W's and a couple Ruger revolvers that get some range time too and I know I could send them off to get worked over... but I don't know who that would be or would it be worth it...?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If your other choice is a Python like new then they are worth it.  
Recent article says their is no comparison on trigger.  It's like the Python custom work done on a setup with much better geometry/physics of design/layout of parts.  

The Lframe/Python size comparable one looked the best.  The weird looking  snub 9mm or top end one with all the rails just don't look right to me.  

You can also get them with a add-on 9mm cylinder for the .357.

I'll be sticking with my 80s 586 though I wish I had cash for a few more revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to buy a nice revolver that is a shooters gun.  I've been looking at Pythons, but they are so high and I don't know if I would want to shoot it even if I shelled out $3,500 + for a like new one...

What about Korth?  Are these revolvers smoother and more accurate than a python?  The price tag is not the problem, I just want a good shooter and would feel bad to blast away with a like new python.  I have a couple S&W's and a couple Ruger revolvers that get some range time too and I know I could send them off to get worked over... but I don't know who that would be or would it be worth it...?
View Quote

Yes, on all counts. Makes a Python look like a Hi-Point, IMO. Just a Rolex-type make of gun. Simply incredible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Korth is the Rolex of the pistol world.   Superb quality........price to match.  

Pythons are great, but, I always felt like the hammer drop time was 3 times longer than a SnW.

Suggest you find a 95% pinned SnW and have a quality shop make it work to your satisfaction.  Much less expensive and much more meaningful to decide what you want done.
Think a model 27 and tuned up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never handled a Korth, but, a new one will run around $5,000 and up. What's wrong with a Python? Mint condition ones are selling for that $3,500 price you mentioned. I would love to have a Python with that Colt Factory Specially tuned action that the average Python does not have. Those Pythons are matchless, except for maybe the Korth's (based on reviews).

Back in the mid 1980's I had a NIB Colt Python. It's action was OK, but, nowhere near the precision, smoothness of one with the factory tuned action that I once had the pleasure to handle on one in a pawn shop. I have never handled another Python with that tuned action since.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a Python, a plethora of pre-lock S&W revolvers and 15 Korths manufactured in Ratzeburg. Very early Pythons are as well made as Korths but less durable and don't have an anywhere as nice double action as a Korth but like Colt, especially with the UAW disputes, Korth went through different stages and quality changed with ownership and sub-contractors.

I personally prefer the early Korths from 24 to 31 series for their better QC. From 1969 on they had the exchangeable roller on the trigger that gave extremely repeatable stacking. The fit and finish are spectacular! I had bought one used but barely shot Korth in .32 S&W Long that drove me nuts in determining why it shot lousy! I slugged the chambers, the barrel and only when I looked at the forcing cone, did I realize that Korth had screwed up splendidly ( and returned the gun).

Check it out, the forcing cone to the right is of my "good" .32 S&W Long Korth, the left one is the bummer-gun.

That said, I had three friends, all young men that are avid handgunners but less experienced revolver shooters try my S&W M14-2 against a Korth Combat from Ratzeburg and they all did better with the 14-2 with the same .38 Special ammo.

If you want the highest quality double action revolver, yes, then a Korth made in between 1969 and 1981 is the gun for you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I found that looks and pedigree are more important for most people than performance but these look alike and shoot alike in single action. If you can afford to run 15,000 rounds of .357 Magnum through your Python and the timing will go bad, you surely have the money to buy another.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, what do you mean by a "shooter's gun"?  That can mean very different things depend on what kind of shooting you are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Korth  Nighthawk Mongoose revolvers come with Hogues that are designed for S&W K&L RB grips. Don't assume that you can use any normal grips designed for S&W K&L RB revolvers!

The main spring of the Korth is located exactly where the screw would need to go through!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I would rather spend my money going after N-Frames.

Specifically 1950 Target Models.   The rare 45LC would be top of my list along with a 26-1.   Then add the 44spl, 45ACP, and might as well throw a vintage 38/44 Outdoorsman in since it is hard to tell apart.    Then maybe a pre-model 357 Mag.

I already own a damn nice 38/44 Outdoorsman that has a double action pull of about 5.5-6.5 pounds.   It is incredibly smooth.

I would sooner collect and shoot the above guns because sentimental value is more important to me than worrying about a 25% increase in value over the next 20 years while looking at it in a gun case.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Been dying to hear some reviews and comparisons of the Nighthawk Korth Mongoose compared to the Sport/Combats already.
The old Korths get nothing but rave reviews... but damn do they externally look like a Python rip off lol.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been dying to hear some reviews and comparisons of the Nighthawk Korth Mongoose compared to the Sport/Combats already.
The old Korths get nothing but rave reviews... but damn do they externally look like a Python rip off lol.
View Quote

Are you sure? They look different to me and I don't have to look at the Python for that conclusion.

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Of course it's not 100% the same appearance. But aside from the cylinder release and the Nill grips, I'd argue they look very similar to the average gun guy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Of course it's not 100% the same appearance. But aside from the cylinder release and the Nill grips, I'd argue they look very similar to the average gun guy.
View Quote

Yes, the Korth models from 30xxx on look a lot like the Python. Actually so much that Willi Korth had changed the barrel profile later to flattened sides because his revolvers were compared to the Python in looks. No doubt that the elegant lines of the Python inspired him, though. A S&W 586/686 has a similiar look and the sleek lines with the full underlug and its advantage for durability and recoil control.

I think that there is nothing wrong with a comparison to the Python at all, since I personally find the Python the best looking revolver of them all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Korth, or ANY other revolver, are NOWHERE compared to the older mfgd Pythons!  You buy a 50+yr old Colt Python, and you'll own the FINEST revolver EVER made!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you sure? They look different to me and I don't have to look at the Python for that conclusion.

http://i.imgur.com/ebZOmVBh.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/MM0Zw3Ah.jpg?3

http://i.imgur.com/jDsFcUVh.jpg?2
View Quote

Lawman

Trooper

Diamondback
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Korth, or ANY other revolver, are NOWHERE compared to the older mfgd Pythons!  You buy a 50+yr old Colt Python, and you'll own the FINEST revolver EVER made!
View Quote

And you have first-hand experience with early Pythons, 30 series Korths and the Mulhouse MR73 or is that an opinnion based on "common internet knowledge"?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
My LGS just got in three Korth wheel guns..............  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Sold one of the three Korth's in stock at the Knoxville show last weekend. He opted for the 5" bbl version.

*I* would've opted for the 3" & carried it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I ended up buying a new Korth from Nighthawk. 6" barrel
Some guy canceled right when they got the gun, so I didn't have to wait 4 months.

It is awesome!   
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are going to shoot it, then please post a detailed description and range report.

I shot one of my Korths yesterday. Last week, I had some ammo issues and the trigger return screws shook loose with my hefty .357 Magnum loads and I tightened the two screws for external trigger return adjustment more carefully.

I used hardcast 158 gr SWC bullets from an RCBS mould with a .357 Magnum load. Shooting went smooth, no surprises, no problems but two bad primers (shouldn't have left them laying on the bench). I shot at 25 yards, standing, using both hands in double action only.

I posted the DA targets, since the Korth is nicer in DA than the Python. In SA mode they shoot pretty much the same but the Python will not last long with my .357 loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top