Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 4:11:50 PM EDT
***Well, I couldn't help myself. I came across a deal too sweet to pass up on a matching Round Butt Nickel M36 to go along with my Blued Round Butt M36. I've got a problem... The M36 I picked up from a guy that needed a new AC compressor for his truck sold me this (I'd estimate about 90% finish) RB nickel M36, with a nice little Bianchi holster and a box of Hornady 158gr XTP's... all for $540. I swear, this is the last one or the wife will kill me. Anyways, pick added to the bottom of this post. Enjoy!***

This Smith came from an estate sale. I would rate it at 98% with an extremely fine turn line on the cylinder. Serial number date range is 76' or 77'... The lock work, timing are solid; and this trigger is so very smooth DA/SA. I picked her up for $475 in said private sale. I'm going to shoot it first but have a feeling I'm going to add a Tyler-T grip to the front strap to make it a bit more comfortable to handle. This combo should still retain the pistols sleekness without adding any bulk. It conceals very well in a Desantis front pocket holster on me. I have big legs and hate carrying even car keys because they rub and annoy me. But with the Desantis its almost unnoticeable. This just might be put into the carry rotation. Anyways, enjoy!

Pics of a Nickel M36 from the same Estate Sale collection I scored. 1971 manufacture date. I really don't think either pistol had more than a cylinder or two thru them in their lives...

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's sweet!

I have a 3" Model 36 that I pack every once in a while.....They are great shooters.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's sweet!

I have a 3" Model 36 that I pack every once in a while.....They are great shooters.....
View Quote

Nice! Those 3" model 36's are a bit rare aren't they? I love these vintage model 36's. The finesse with the fit and finish really stands out to me. This is my 3rd revolver. I bought a 1971' Smith model 36 in nickel finish from the same estate sale collection... Believe it or not... its even more flawless than this blued round butt in my OP. I'll post pics later when Photobucket stops acting up. And I love my old Colt "Agent" snubby as well. They hide so easily with a pocket holster!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked one up about a year ago for close to the same price. A T-grip will make a big difference on it and I had one on mine for a while but changed to Altamont bonded ivory. I like to have all three fingers on the grip and it conceals just as well when using appendix carry.

Pic of mine with my recent Model 640-1 purchase.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked one up about a year ago for close to the same price. A T-grip will make a big difference on it and I had one on mine for a while but changed to Altamont bonded ivory. I like to have all three fingers on the grip and it conceals just as well when using appendix carry.

Pic of mine with my recent Model 640-1 purchase.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/JFrames2_zpssxp0oqjd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/JFrames1_zpsku5mpbrm.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful set there! Thanks for sharing those pics! With the Altamont grip, (which looks awesome and very comfortable btw), does the grip girth lessen the conceal-ability at all for you? I know you are appendix carrying. I'm certain I'm going to carry my M36 in my front pocket, strong side. But I've got to have the grip as close to the stock, stocks as possible so I don't print...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful OP.  Very nice.   Both of you guys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a round butt 36 on occasions, I LOVE the butler boot grips I have and noticed that crimson trace's grip is very similar.
There's a plethora of after market grips on Ebay..Unless you're dead seat on going with a T grip...I'd look there first.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I carry a round butt 36 on occasions, I LOVE the butler boot grips I have and noticed that crimson trace's grip is very similar.
There's a plethora of after market grips on Ebay..Unless you're dead seat on going with a T grip...I'd look there first.
View Quote

No, not dead set at all. I'm really appreciating your advice/experience as well as what other members are suggesting. Keep them coming, please! I like to buy once, cry once. My only grip requirements are to keep the grip girth/width very close to the original pictured stocks as so not to print when carrying in a front pocket holster. I'm really digging some of the Altamont options that "Mic214"suggested as well as the Butler Boot Grips you suggested. I'm very excited about the conceal-ability these "J" frames offer a big guy. Many thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I think your best bet for concealment while pocket carrying will be the stock grips and a Tyler T. There are a lot of good boot grips out there that would conceal about as well. Boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice scores on the estate sales!  Fine looking revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice score! Those lil buggers are starting to pick up speed in the price increase area, wasn't long ago you could snap them up for around $300 or so, good luck finding nice one's at that price anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice pistols, OP. They're too pretty to carry! If they were mine, I'd baby them and only give them occasional range time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Personally, I think your best bet for concealment while pocket carrying will be the stock grips and a Tyler T. There are a lot of good boot grips out there that would conceal about as well. Boils down to personal preference.
View Quote

Yeah, I think I'm going to order just one Tyler T and try it out. Worst case I can put it on the EE if it doesn't go well. I wish Tyler Mfg. would let me just add the product to a website cart and buy it with my credit card instead of printing out an order form, and mailing a check, etc...  I haven't had to do that since I was a kid and was into GI-Joe's, hahahahahaah!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice score! Those lil buggers are starting to pick up speed in the price increase area, wasn't long ago you could snap them up for around $300 or so, good luck finding nice one's at that price anymore.
View Quote

I know right??? They are going for twice that price in metro Atlanta! People seem to be hoarding them too. I wouldn't have ever came across these outside of an estate sale I'm pretty sure...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I think this was the 2nd to last small Smith I picked up.

[/img]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice! Those 3" model 36's are a bit rare aren't they? I love these vintage model 36's. The finesse with the fit and finish really stands out to me. This is my 3rd revolver. I bought a 1971' Smith model 36 in nickel finish from the same estate sale collection... Believe it or not... its even more flawless than this blued round butt in my OP. I'll post pics later when Photobucket stops acting up. And I love my old Colt "Agent" snubby as well. They hide so easily with a pocket holster!
View Quote

I am not sure if they are super rare, but you tend to see more 2" barrel M-36's than the 3" ones. I am not sure when mine was made, I got it sometime around 2004 or so.

Those old Colts are great pistols too. I have a Police Positive that originally was a 6", but it had some barrel damage to it. I found a 3" Detective Special barrel and had that installed on it. I also have a 2-1/2" Diamondback that is a pretty cool little snubby.....

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think this was the 2nd to last small Smith I picked up.

http://i65.tinypic.com/34qjzvd.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Oh I love that!!! With the original box too... I don't even want to think about how much that beauty went for...  Prices around here are double for the original box and docs. Very nice score!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am not sure if they are super rare, but you tend to see more 2" barrel M-36's than the 3" ones. I am not sure when mine was made, I got it sometime around 2004 or so.

Those old Colts are great pistols too. I have a Police Positive that originally was a 6", but it had some barrel damage to it. I found a 3" Detective Special barrel and had that installed on it. I also have a 2-1/2" Diamondback that is a pretty cool little snubby.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm drooling here! Love that banana grip on the Smith. The Colts you have there are simply special! I want a 2n1/2" Diamond Back so badly!!! I've seen them go for almost 3K though on a local trader site as of recent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm drooling here! Love that banana grip on the Smith. The Colts you have there are simply special! I want a 2n1/2" Diamond Back so badly!!! I've seen them go for almost 3K though on a local trader site as of recent.
View Quote

How many 4in RB K frames have you seen with the banana, or smooth combat, grips?

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How many 4in RB K frames have you seen with the banana, or smooth combat, grips?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/RBModel19b_zpsdxrnjaft.jpg
View Quote

Simply stunning pistol you have there! To answer your question, none! I'm so glad I came across the two Smiths in my OP and just as glad I started this thread. Because the revolvers you guys are posting pics of here are true works of art! I always loved revolvers for their simplicity, beauty, and utter reliability. It's a shame I waited so long to pick up my first revolver. Better late than never though! Thanks for sharing that beautiful pic JR! Those stocks are sick ...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Every once in a while I buy a revolver purely for the grips. This one was a combination of the grips and the fact that it is a 4in RB. The grips were what caught my eye though. I could not believe that I was the only bidder on this one and got it for $550. I plan to get a factory letter so I can see if it left the factory with a 4in barrel and those smooth targets. I won't have any problem if it is not a factory job, it is just too nice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every once in a while I buy a revolver purely for the grips. This one was a combination of the grips and the fact that it is a 4in RB. The grips were what caught my eye though. I could not believe that I was the only bidder on this one and got it for $550. I plan to get a factory letter so I can see if it left the factory with a 4in barrel and those smooth targets. [color=#0000ff]I won't have any problem if it is not a factory job, it is just too nice.
View Quote
[/color]

It wouldn't bother me one bit either if it didn't leave the factory that way. If it didn't, whoever performed the barrel swap was more than competent. I'd never part with that fine piece of blued steel you have there. At $550, hell, you stole it. Heck, I'd be willing to pay north of $750. Feel free to post more pics of her if you got them. I never get tired of looking at beautiful vintage Colts and Smiths like the ones you guys are posting here! Here is a pic of my first revolver, a Colt Agent.  She's not pristine by any means but its smooth, reliable, and well built. It was a cops back up piece for years until he retired, passed away, and his son put it up for sale on consignment... I love a piece with honest wear on it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a soft spot for Colt snubs. The very first firearm I pulled a trigger on was a Colt Detective Special when I was 6 or 7. I do not own one ATM but I will someday.

Here is a M19 family pic with the RB 19-5 in it. Center is a 19-2 and left is a 19-3.

And here is a "style shot" of the 19-5 RB

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a soft spot for Colt snubs. The very first firearm I pulled a trigger on was a Colt Detective Special when I was 6 or 7. I do not own one ATM but I will someday.

Here is a M19 family pic with the RB 19-5 in it. Center is a 19-2 and left is a 19-3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/Model19FamilyS_zpszqml6e6g.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/RBModel19c_zps6yysz1gm.jpg
View Quote

See if you can figure out what model this Colt Snubbie is.

[/img]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that a Agent? Shorter grips on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

See if you can figure out what model this Colt Snubbie is.

http://i63.tinypic.com/el4ety.jpg[/url]
View Quote

The  frame seems larger than an Agent. It looks almost like maybe a Marshall or Official Police or something along those lines?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The  frame seems larger than an Agent. It looks almost like maybe a Marshall or Official Police or something along those lines?
View Quote

Yep, it's a Marshal, for a snubbie it's a heck of a soft shooting revolver.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what made me think the grips were shorter than normal. The frame size threw me off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep, it's a Marshal, for a snubbie it's a heck of a soft shooting revolver.
View Quote

Wow, that's cool. I have only seen the 4" ones in the wild. The closest thing I have had to that was a 2" Lawman. I foolishly sold it in a moment of weakness.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/Model19FamilyS_zpszqml6e6g.jpg

View Quote

Fine examples of pure Americana right there! Now you've done it... I'm now on my local trading site looking for a model 19... My wife is going to curse your name!!! Thanks for sharing those pics. I'm not really the jealous type but I'm kinda jealous of that trio of Smiths you have there!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fine examples of pure Americana right there! Now you've done it... I'm now on my local trading site looking for a model 19... My wife is going to curse your name!!! Thanks for sharing those pics. I'm not really the jealous type but I'm kinda jealous of that trio of Smiths you have there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 19-2 is a birthday gun, made within a month of when I was born. Definitely my favorite revolver. I am trying to narrow my collecting of Model 19's down to the -2 variants. They were still pinning the front sight to the barrel on the -2's as compared to the -3's which have the barrel and sight milled from one piece of metal. So now all I need to do is find 2.5in and 6in 19-2's in blue. Then I can start looking for 2.5, 4 and 6in in nickel. I figure I still have 30 years or so left to find them all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/RBModel19b_zpsdxrnjaft.jpg
View Quote

Wow!
Gorgeous gun
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#33]
My dad inherited a nickled 36 from his great uncle a few years back.  It had the cardboard box and paperwork with it but was wearing a larger set of Pachmayers.  He decided it looked like a pimp gun and sold it off without asking any of us about it.  I was pretty miffed as it was a nice looking piece that just needed a set of original grips.  I showed him what they were going for on Gunbroker and told him I hoped he got a good price- he didn't say anything but I could tell by his expression that he'd sold low, probably really low.  Oh well, it was his to do with as he pleased but I'd have liked to have made an offer.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, not dead set at all. I'm really appreciating your advice/experience as well as what other members are suggesting. Keep them coming, please! I like to buy once, cry once. My only grip requirements are to keep the grip girth/width very close to the original pictured stocks as so not to print when carrying in a front pocket holster. I'm really digging some of the Altamont options that "Mic214"suggested as well as the Butler Boot Grips you suggested. I'm very excited about the conceal-ability these "J" frames offer a big guy. Many thanks in advance!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VZ, seemingly much beloved on arfcom offers a boot grip for the 36 I was sorely tempted to buy...too pricy for my blood and the Butlers came on the gun when I bought it used or I' have probably spent the money.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

VZ, seemingly much beloved on arfcom offers a boot grip for the 36 I was sorely tempted to buy...too pricy for my blood and the Butlers came on the gun when I bought it used or I' have probably spent the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all my CZ's (with the exception of a 97B that came with awesome aluminum grips), and my 1911's wear VZ grips. They are so worth the money IMO because they slim up the width of a semi-auto (always a good thing), and they really stick in the palm. I pulled the trigger on the Tyler T's but... if I'm not 100% satisfied I'll sell them to my brother and either go the Altamont or VZ route. Thanks for the suggestion!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top