Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
While I've been involved with firearms and shooting since I was a young pup, I've never owned a revolver -- I virtually cut my teeth on a 1911 and never saw any reason to go to a wheelgun. That is, of course, until I tried my friend's S&W 686. Sweet! Then I tried a Ruger GP100. Somebody else recommended some Taurus (I don't remember which one). Too many choices! Aaaagh.

Here's what I do know. I'd like a .357 Magnum because of the flexibility it offers (i.e. shooting .38 SPL or .357 Mag). I'm looking at 4" to 6" barrel; it's not going to be a carry gun so it's a larger gun is not a problem. Stainless would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Availability of aftermarket toys would be nice (I've had a hell of a time finding stuff for my HK pistols because they're not what you'd call ubiquitous).

Also, as a primarily auto shooter, I know next to nothing (okay, right on top of nothing) about revolver maintenance, troubleshooting, etc. Anything of which I should be aware before I dive into the world of wheelguns?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Ruger GP100 with a six inch barrel and if you take care of it you will have it for the rest of your life you could also get a Taurus and it will serve you just as good. I recommend a Ruger because of the availability of holsters and accessories, if any, is greater than the Taurus.

As far as options for a revolver there ain't much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While I've been involved with firearms and shooting since I was a young pup, I've never owned a revolver -- I virtually cut my teeth on a 1911 and never saw any reason to go to a wheelgun. That is, of course, until I tried my friend's S&W 686. Sweet! Then I tried a Ruger GP100. Somebody else recommended some Taurus (I don't remember which one). Too many choices! Aaaagh.

Here's what I do know. I'd like a .357 Magnum because of the flexibility it offers (i.e. shooting .38 SPL or .357 Mag). I'm looking at 4" to 6" barrel; it's not going to be a carry gun so it's a larger gun is not a problem. Stainless would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Availability of aftermarket toys would be nice (I've had a hell of a time finding stuff for my HK pistols because they're not what you'd call ubiquitous).

Also, as a primarily auto shooter, I know next to nothing (okay, right on top of nothing) about revolver maintenance, troubleshooting, etc. Anything of which I should be aware before I dive into the world of wheelguns?

Thanks in advance for any input.

You can buy a Taurus or Ruger. Or, you can get a revolver. Revolvers aren't being made anymore but are still readily available. There have been two revolvers made in 357Mag. One is the S&W M-19 and the other is the S&W M-28. There was a sub-catagory which was the S&W M-27, These will usually cost less than $300.00. Either of these will be great for just about any use you can imagine. They are beautiful and functional with triggers that feel like they move of ball-bearings. They are super accurate, rugged, very easy and pleasant to shoot.

So it's really not as many choices or decisions as you thought. You have two choices, the N frame (M-28 or 27) or the K frame (designed by the greatest revolver expert ever, the M-19).
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can buy a Taurus or Ruger. Or, you can get a revolver. Revolvers aren't being made anymore but are still readily available....

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Having had a few of each make , I felt equally served by any of them. Some revolvers are made in .45 ACP, using the same ammunition as your auto. (just a thought) I prefer stainless whenever possible as the finish goes all the way through.  I think what sig_230 is trying to say is he is an older Smith fan, of which I will never dispute.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Having owned Colt, Ruger and Smith revolvers I would have to vote for the older Smiths. My wheelgun of choice is.....

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Having had a few of each make , I felt equally served by any of them. Some revolvers are made in .45 ACP, using the same ammunition as your auto. (just a thought) I prefer stainless whenever possible as the finish goes all the way through.  I think what sig_230 is trying to say is he is an older Smith fan, of which I will never dispute.

Does it really show? Man, wait 'till you see the gem I just ended up with

Ronin

Seriously, of the current crop of revolvers being made I'd go with either a Smith or Ruger. Probably the Ruger first, Smith second. But equally seriously, the older Smiths have a quality and feel that is near impossible to beat. You can also often find them grossly under priced simply because they don't have the Cool Factor of the new high cap pistols.

And you can get revolvers, as was said, in the 45acp. I have a half dozen or so of them and they are my favorite all around wheelies. If you already have a 45acp pistol, then one of the 45acp revolvers would be a natural fit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Revolvers aren't being made anymore but are still readily available.

I don't think Ronin's question was answered regarding the above statement.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Having owned Colt, Ruger and Smith revolvers I would have to vote for the older Smiths. My wheelgun of choice is.....

A 581 "L" frame, police trade in. The work horse of revolvers! An inexpensive way to have a quality magnum, that will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Having owned Colt, Ruger and Smith revolvers I would have to vote for the older Smiths. My wheelgun of choice is.....hinking.gif

Openly betraying my ignorance of revolvers, I ask of the above firearm:

a) I assume that it's no longer in production. How easily might I find a used one and for what kind of money?

b) I don't see a rear sight. How do you aim such a revolver?

c) How does it compare to my friend's S&W 686?

Like I said, I know virtually nada, zip, zilch about revolvers.

Thanks again for your advice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The pictured revolver is a Mdl 681, it differs from the 686 only in that it has fixed sights rather than adjustable(the rear sight is a notch in the frame). You'll notice that it's also a Police Trade in {NYSP}. They can be found through outlets like KY IMPORTS, KIESLERS and Southern Ohio Gun for extremely reasonable $$$.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Revolvers.  There are a lot of fine revolver manufacturers out there.  Some are currently in production, others are no longer made (but could have been made in such numbers that finding a good working specimen should be easy).  Smith & Wesson made LOTS of revolvers.  Once you decide on a model, there ought to be plenty of sources for used ones in great shape.

Regarding sig_230's statement that both of us quoted above; I'm perplexed.  Perhaps it was a typo but many revolvers are currently in production.  Ruger, S&W, and Taurus produce both revolvers and automatics.  Dan Wesson's 3rd generation revolvers show outstanding craftsmanship, durability, and accuracy.  Freedom Arms has expanded their line to include calibers other than their .454 Casulls.  And then there are the Colt's.  Ever fire a Colt Python?  It's a marvelous revolver.  

P.S.  When you get it, please refrain from snapping the cylinder shut after loading/unloading with a flick of the wrist.  You see actors doing this all the time in movies because it looks cool.  It looks cool but it's very bad for the cylinder crane.

Here's a link to the approved handgun list.  Of course it only applies to new firearms being "imported" into the state.  

justice.hdcdojnet.state.ca.us/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay
Some basics because you are facing special challenges that many of us, thank god, are free from.

you will most likely have to buy your revolver from those on the approved list or from existing stock at a local dealer. Your first step should be to get a listing of the 357 revolvers that are approved in California. Throw everything away except those made by S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Colt and Dan Wesson (I don't think they've been approved out there yet). This will be your choices for Double Action Revolvers. In the first three, you will have a broad selection of sizes, the Colt and Dan Wesson if approved will only have one size.

A five to six inch barrel length will be best for target shooting. you will probably want one that has at least a rear adjustable sight although this is not quite as critical on revolvers because of the longer sight radius. A heavier model will usually have less percieved recoil than a lighter one.

If you are considering the Used market some particularly fine revolvers that can usually be had for a very reasonable price are:

S&W M-28 or 27 (Large framed revolvers. the M-28 is known as the Highway Patroman)
S&W M-19 (Mid-sized frame known as the Combat Masterpiece)

In this picture the M-28 is on top and the M-19 below. Notice that the frame and cylinder on the top one is slightly Chunkier than the bottom.

In a used Ruger, I'd suggest that you look at the Security Six. It was extremely well built and very reliable. Unfortunately my Ex has mine so no pic.

In the Colt line you might want to look for a Trooper or Diamondback. Generally the Colts will carry a premium price.

Any of these would be a very good choice for you. The S&W or Ruger will most likely be in the Under $400.00 in your area while the Colts will most likely be in the $500+ range.

HTH.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have a 1911, try a S&W 625 in .45ACP
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Try a S&W M66 in 4", or a S&W M686 plus with 6" and target sight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer my stainless Taurus 669CP in 357Mag , makes a great trail gun .
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
GP100,4inch heavy barrel,Hogue grips,Stainless...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W 686  Great gun, tunable, reliable, affordable.

Ruger GP 100 Built like a tank.  Many Many thousands of hot rounds and still ticking.  Funky grip set up compared to traditional revolers.

Colt Python.   Fantastic fit and finish.  Every one I ever owned was accurate as heck.
Note: All 3 have different style cylinder releases.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top