Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ack! You can't post something like that and not include the story behind it!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#2]
Well, I suppose I ought to post a pic or two of this little darling before I send her down the road. A 100% American made USFA in 45 Colt.

I bought it as a shooter. The previous owner said the dude he bought it from must've been a knucklehead because he obviously didn't know to ear the hammer back two clicks prior to removing or inserting the cylinder and scratched it up. No matter, adds character! The ol' girl was exactly what I wanted; a shooter, and boy can she shoot!
I'm just dumbfounded by the workmanship in these revolvers!

She'll make someone a very happy man!

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By ggibbs:

Well, I suppose I ought to post a pic or two of this little darling before I send her down the road. A 100% American made USFA in 45 Colt.

I bought it as a shooter. The previous owner said the dude he bought it from must've been a knucklehead because he obviously didn't know to ear the hammer back two clicks prior to removing or inserting the cylinder and scratched it up. No matter, adds character! The ol' girl was exactly what I wanted; a shooter, and boy can she shoot!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/IMG_0412_zpsrh0xpsxk.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/20150308_174513_zpsz8ysgzh9.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/USFA%2045%20Colt%201_zpsicpnc5vv.jpg

View Quote

Great pics! It is an absolute travesty what's happened to the company.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By pokey074:

View Quote

It sure is. I read where someone described USFA's current product as "....a staple gun that happens to fire 22 LR."
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/IMG_0412_zpsrh0xpsxk.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/20150308_174513_zpsz8ysgzh9.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/USFA%2045%20Colt%201_zpsicpnc5vv.jpg

Out of curiosity, what would something like that sell for?  I'm a flag waving gun owner, as in I only buy American if at all possible.  This means all my single actions are Ruger or Colt (I don't own one yet but I will).  By the time I learned about USFA, they had quit making real guns and gone into the stapler business.  I've only seen a very few come up for sale so I don't have a concept of their current resale price.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

Out of curiosity, what would something like that sell for?  I'm a flag waving gun owner, as in I only buy American if at all possible.  This means all my single actions are Ruger or Colt (I don't own one yet but I will).  By the time I learned about USFA, they had quit making real guns and gone into the stapler business.  I've only seen a very few come up for sale so I don't have a concept of their current resale price.
View Quote

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=221310
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tirador223] [#7]

View All Quotes

That's great-grandfather and his Colt, which according to the story, he found in an egg crate on a dock in Baltimore.  My grandfather kept it in the safe in his office, and when I was a kid he would occasionally get it out and hand it to me after thumbing the bullets out of it.  Those .44-40 rounds looked like artillery shells to me at that time.  The USFA in the other photo is a duplicate of grandfather's Colt right down to the same serial number, except I ordered that one in .44 Special.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

That's great-grandfather and his Colt, which according to the story, he found in an egg crate on a dock in Baltimore.  My grandfather kept it in the safe in his office, and when I was a kid he would occasionally get it out and hand it to me after thumbing the bullets out of it.  Those .44-40 rounds looked like artillery shells to me at that time.  The USFA in the other photo is a duplicate of grandfather's Colt right down to the same serial number, except I ordered that one in .44 Special.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

Ahh...I knew there was a great story in there.  Very, very cool!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

That is a really nice gun, scratches and all.  I'd like to own one, or two but I can't afford those prices.  Very cool!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice piece, ghillie! Is that front sight filed? Looks good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:04:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#11]
QUESTION:  I came across what was labeled as an "1860 Remington .45 Colt" today and I need some expertise on the subject.  As I said, it's labeled as an 1860 Remington in .45 Colt.  It has a round barrel, no typical Remington triangular thing under the barrel and the seemed to be around 6" but I'm not sure.  It had a lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip so I'm guessing a cavalry model or army.  Original blued finish with what appear to be original wood grips.  I did not get to handle it, it was in a case and I was not able to stay long enough to find someone to show it to me but it really wowed me and I LOVE vintage "old west" firearms.  

When I searched for 1860 Remington or 1860 Remington Army, the guns all look to be octagonal barreled guns with the standard triangle web thing (I have no idea what that's called).  Can you vintage six gun guys school me on what I'm looking at?  I'm betting it's an 1890 and they just got dyslexic when they tagged it but IIRC, the 1860 was chambered only in .44-40, either way any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:21:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaxspore] [#12]
QUESTION:  I came across what was labeled as an "1860 Remington .45 Colt" today and I need some expertise on the subject.  As I said, it's labeled as an 1860 Remington in .45 Colt.  It has a round barrel, no typical Remington triangular thing under the barrel and the seemed to be around 6" but I'm not sure.  It had a lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip so I'm guessing a cavalry model or army.  Original blued finish with what appear to be original wood grips.  I did not get to handle it, it was in a case and I was not able to stay long enough to find someone to show it to me but it really wowed me and I LOVE vintage "old west" firearms.  

When I searched for 1860 Remington or 1860 Remington Army, the guns all look to be octagonal barreled guns with the standard triangle web thing (I have no idea what that's called).  Can you vintage six gun guys school me on what I'm looking at?  I'm betting it's an 1890 and they just got dyslexic when they tagged it but IIRC, the 1860 was chambered only in .44-40, either way any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks
View Quote

My guess its not a 1875 remington probably the 1890 ..but the 1890 was only chambered in 44-40 / 44. REM - possibly mislabeled? - Either way a 1890 looks on passing identical to a Colt SAA

Now i am speaking of originals.. repos such as one by Uberti are made in .357 / 45 colt.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The more I think about it and considering they goofed the year, I'm betting it's a .44-40 and just mislabeled.  I can't believe I come across guns like these and I'm broke, it's an opportunity of a lifetime.  They came from the collection of a guy who died a couple years ago and his wife brought all these guns in to sell on consignment.  I've honestly never seen anything like it outside of a museum.  All kinds of original S&W #3s in various forms such as a couple Russians.  Merwin Hulbert's, several 1861 Remington Navy's, several old pocket/vest guns, several old revolvers in .44-40 (can't remember if they were factory or conversions at the time), a 1903 Colt auto and countless others I can't remember.  In addition to a Remington Rolling Block handgun, a few Remington Rolling Block rifles, several other rifles that just made me too googly eyed to remember them all but there were two 1873 Winchesters in .44-40 that I would have traded a kidney on site for.  I'm seriously thinking about selling my organs on the black market to afford at least an 1873 Winchester and the 1890 Remington Army lol. Ack!!! I wish I had never seen those guns!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cssalabama] [#14]
The more I think about it and considering they goofed the year, I'm betting it's a .44-40 and just mislabeled.  I can't believe I come across guns like these and I'm broke, it's an opportunity of a lifetime.  They came from the collection of a guy who died a couple years ago and his wife brought all these guns in to sell on consignment.  I've honestly never seen anything like it outside of a museum. All kinds of original S&W #3s in various forms such as a couple Russians.  Merwin Hulbert's, several 1861 Remington Navy's, several old pocket/vest guns, several old revolvers in .44-40 (can't remember if they were factory or conversions at the time), a 1903 Colt auto and countless others I can't remember.  In addition to a Remington Rolling Block handgun, a few Remington Rolling Block rifles, several other rifles that just made me too googly eyed to remember them all but there were two 1873 Winchesters in .44-40 that I would have traded a kidney on site for.  I'm seriously thinking about selling my organs on the black market to afford at least an 1873 Winchester and the 1890 Remington Army lol. Ack!!! I wish I had never seen those guns!!
View Quote

NVM I have seen them in OKC
pic thread
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Just a few of my SAA's....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Javak] [#17]
Taylors & Co.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
NICE!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Cimarron Antique Finish

1851 -

1860 replica of a Colt mccullough -

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Just picked this old geezer up. Colt SAA Gen 1. DOB is 1899/1900

Previous owner said his grandfather refinished the gun in the 40's. The barrel is not original but everything else is numbers matching. I am thinking about getting a new barrel (One from that time period) cause the sight is not correct and is really thick. makes shooting the weapon kinda difficult.

She's a shooter, but still looks amazing with very little pitting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaxspore] [#22]

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Spaxspore,  your photos are proof that photography IS art  

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

Spaxspore,  your photos are proof that photography IS art  

View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
What camera gear are you using, just wondering ?

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaxspore] [#26]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
What camera gear are you using, just wondering ?

View Quote

nikon d7100 w/ a Nikor 60mm Macro Lens
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TINCANBANDIT] [#27]
Ruger old model 357 Blackhawk with brass grip frame adapted from an 1851 Colt Navy, I made the grip panels in bloodwood

This started as a restoration project and took a left turn......

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/07/ruger-old-model-blackhawk-project-part-7.html

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
that looks great

how much fitting did you have to do ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
My new "cap gun", or as close as I can get to an adult Fanner 50®!

…and if an AZ BBQ pops up I can use my old SASS belt/holster set again!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm primarily a Smith & Wesson man, but I've always had a few Rugers too.  I have wanted a birth year gun (1960 for me) for a long time, but it seems that 1960 model S&W's are out of my price range.

Then I found this beauty, and had to have it.  It's an unmolested 1960 Super Blackhawk, 4 digit serial numer (49xx) and in fantastic condition.  It's even got real stag grips.  The plum colored loading gate is about the only "flaw" on it, it has that high polish blue that is spectacular. The grips have no markings on them, so no idea who made them, they are too thick for me so I'll probably get a set of Grashorns for it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TriggerFish:
My new "cap gun", or as close as I can get to an adult Fanner 50®!
http://i.imgur.com/IZt5431.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vKiRjKh.jpg
…and if an AZ BBQ pops up I can use my old SASS belt/holster set again!
http://i.imgur.com/PIJlRSQ.jpg
View Quote

Gorgeous, congratulations.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Yet another reason I LOVE AZ.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightSix] [#34]
deleted.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#37]

So purdy
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By waffles:
http://i.imgur.com/Eo63Ell.jpg

So purdy
View Quote

MOAR INFO
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
It's an unconverted Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44Mag with a polychoke vent rib installed on top. It's fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:

I'm primarily a Smith & Wesson man, but I've always had a few Rugers too.  I have wanted a birth year gun (1960 for me) for a long time, but it seems that 1960 model S&W's are out of my price range.

Then I found this beauty, and had to have it.  It's an unmolested 1960 Super Blackhawk, 4 digit serial numer (49xx) and in fantastic condition.  It's even got real stag grips.  The plum colored loading gate is about the only "flaw" on it, it has that high polish blue that is spectacular. The grips have no markings on them, so no idea who made them, they are too thick for me so I'll probably get a set of Grashorns for it.

http://i.imgur.com/oL0djPA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rkCI9lk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AANuNp1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Vg3Ph6J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1tfcTbM.jpg
View Quote

Thats a beaury WarHawk.

I may be odd, but I like the plum coloring on the old Rugers. You could not duplicate that today, if ya tried!
It adds a certain uniqueness to a revolver.  :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .357 Magnum

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with Marlin 1894SS

Ruger New Vaquero Birdshead .45 Colt

Ruger New Vaquero Birdshead .44 ACP

Ruger Single Six Birdshead .32 H&R Magnum

Ruger Old Army

Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special Flattop

Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible

Ruger Single Six .22 Convertible

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .45 Convertible

Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .44 Magnum

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Not the best pic

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaxspore] [#44]
nice
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Spaxspore:
nice
View Quote

Thank you if that was directed at me
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Originally Posted By Spaxspore:
nice

sure am :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]
OK! I am new to SA Revolvers! Don't hold it against me all ways been a 1911 guy!
Just got the bug to get a SA 44spl with a Birdhead grips!
Colt any generation is way out of my price range.
Ruger would be fine, but I have not seen a 44 spl with a Birdhead grips!
Maybe I am just missing it! Could have one cut to take the Birdhead!
So who else makes the kind of revolver I'm looking for?

Thanks!

PITA45
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Lets see how many more threads I can find to post this

#blackpowdermatter
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pita45:
OK! I am new to SA Revolvers! Don't hold it against me all ways been a 1911 guy!
Just got the bug to get a SA 44spl with a Birdhead grips!
Colt any generation is way out of my price range.
Ruger would be fine, but I have not seen a 44 spl with a Birdhead grips!
Maybe I am just missing it! Could have one cut to take the Birdhead!
So who else makes the kind of revolver I'm looking for?

Thanks!

PITA45
View Quote

Anytime you're looking for something  a little out of the ordinary when it comes to single actions, Cimarron is the place to start. They have exactly what you want:

Cimarron Thunderer .44 Special, 4 3/4 in.

I own a couple of Cimarron's and their quality is outstanding and the revolvers are accurate far, far beyond what most would believe.

Check 'em out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#50]

.45 colt
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top