Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:54:04 PM EDT
Was playing with my 10/22 the other day and now i have a hankering to turn it into a pistol.  The only way i know of doing this legal is if i get a stripped reciever that has never been installed in a rifle.  Only complaint is the cheapest ones i have run into are 200 bucks.  Any advice ideas on this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
nevermind.  I found the info i was looking for right after i posted.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Please share.
I have been wanting to do this too, but have found the same problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
well ill tell you what i found out.  I found that volquartsen pretty much makes this but it is called the cheetah and about a grand . cheetah
The applicable laws are exactly the same as making a AR into a pistol.  Aslong as the reciever is sold from factory or dealer and has never been installed into a rifle, You can make a pistol out of it.  I have a feeling you already knew this.  The big delema is where to get a cheap 10/22 reciever.  I have not looked to hard on this but i can do a little more research and probably find you a source.  The reality is that you will be building a nicer/higher quality Tec-22.  If you are not familur with this gun (i know i was not until a little while ago), they are fun and beter then most people give them credit for.  Also they only cost 200 bucks.  Way less then this project will cost.  I extimate min cost of 500 bucks.  IM me or post if you have any more questions.
jimmy
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Walmart can pick up a new one for $150

They must have bought a couple tractor trailer loads at bulk price then selling them 50-60 dollars cheaper than the competion.

Of course the Galax Walmart here is the top gun selling walmart in the country........
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
that if for the rifle.  Once i gun is registered as a rifle it is always a rifle.  turnign it into a pistol who make it a SBR and illegal without proper paperwork and taxs.  A pistol can be made into a rifle and then back into a pistol as long as it follows the rules of both.  For some reason this does not go the other way around.  You have to buy a reciever that has never been assembled or registered as a rifle.  All completed guns from walmart left the factory as a rifle and are registered as such.  Big no no turning one into a pistol
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
100% Correct.

I picked up the Volksquarten receiver. Not cheap, but a fun toy. All in all, with decent mags, it's a good toy. but that's about all.

Quoted:
that if for the rifle.  Once i gun is registered as a rifle it is always a rifle.  turnign it into a pistol who make it a SBR and illegal without proper paperwork and taxs.  A pistol can be made into a rifle and then back into a pistol as long as it follows the rules of both.  For some reason this does not go the other way around.  You have to buy a reciever that has never been assembled or registered as a rifle.  All completed guns from walmart left the factory as a rifle and are registered as such.  Big no no turning one into a pistol

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]
woohoo i got something right!!!
Nam, for what it cost and effort, would you not agree that a tec-22 is a much cheaper easier way to go?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
woohoo i got something right!!!
Nam, for what it cost and effort, would you not agree that a tec-22 is a much cheaper easier way to go?

If you can find one, yes. It's alot of plastic, but it works.

The advantage with the 10/22 pistol is the mods. There's tons of mods out there that you could use. I don't know of any aftermarket mods for the Tec-22.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top