Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:40 PM EDT
are they cast? and if not all which ones or what parts?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
All Rugers are investment cast. Ruger pioneered the process. And makes a lot of money doing it for other folks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:33:05 AM EDT
so you can drop them and they break, wow didn't know that
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:08:58 PM EDT
If you think you can break a Ruger, have at it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:11:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:

Do you understand that there is a difference between parts that are designed to be cast (Rugers) and parts that are cast because it's cheap (Springfield M1As, EA AR lowers, etc)?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:16:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By STG77:

Do you understand that there is a difference between parts that are designed to be cast (Rugers) and parts that are cast because it's cheap (Springfield M1As, EA AR lowers, etc)?

please tell me the difference, I have the understanding that cast metal is weaker because the grains are not compressed
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:43 PM EDT

please tell me the difference, I have the understanding that cast metal is weaker because the grains are not compressed

It is. Casting is inherently inferior to forging, but it can be done right.

Parts that are designed to be cast look "clunky" because they have to be heavier and thicker to compensate for the weakness of the casting.

It's when parts that are designed to be forged (M1A bolts) are cast without changing the design that problems occur.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:14:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By STG77:

It is. Casting is inherently inferior to forging, but it can be done right.

Parts that are designed to be cast look "clunky" because they have to be heavier and thicker to compensate for the weakness of the casting.
that's what I thought

It's when parts that are designed to be forged (M1A bolts) are cast without changing the design that problems occur.ok, I understand

Top Top