Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 7:04:58 AM EDT
I brought my New Ruger Blackhawk to the range Friday for a test run.

The pistol shoots as expected 1/2 to 1 in groups at 10 yards. However, and there is always a however.

The rear sight does not respond to elevation changes, either up or down. The point of impact does not change. The bullets always go into the same hole.

This is wonderful, except that I am aiming at 6:00 on the bottom ring and the POI is at 1:00 at the top outer ring (the same ring). About 3 inches.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of contacting Ruger. I would prefer to fix this myself if it can be done.

Many thanks,

Roy
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
First, are you firing off hand or using some sort of rest?  10 yds is really two close to adjust sights.  If you look at the trajectory out of a handgun you'll note the bullet impact is low at close ranges, then goes high, and finally drops down to it's poi.

Next, consider that the weight of the bullet tends to effect the poi.  At reasonable ranges heavier bullets impact higher than lighter ones.  Not sure, but I think it has to do with how high the barrel lifts in recoil.  Higher with heavier bullets less with lighter ones, and the fact that heavier bullet maintain momentum better, again at reasonable ranges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top