Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 9:50:15 AM EDT
So, several years ago (2013) I purchased a Ruger SR22 pistol. I love this thing. It feeds anything (doesn't particularly like Winchester brass but I can still get it to work) and hasn't given me hardly any trouble. Out of the box, I was shooting 1" paster dots off a cardboard backer at 7 yards from a standing position. I know that won't impress the precision pistol shooting crowd but it was good enough for me and helps me to spend time really practicing defensive shooting "by the numbers" as it is quickly visible when I start getting sloppy.

Anyway, I have probably 10,000+ plus rounds through this thing (I shoot an average 50 rounds per week through it) and it just seems like accuracy is falling apart. I can still make those 1" shots but then I start to have flyers, maybe two or three in a row and then 1" groups for a few more rounds. It seems like the interval between flyers is getting shorter and shorter. I have tried many different .22LR  loads with about the same results.

A Google search reveals reports of loose barrels contributing to this. However, the barrel does not seem "loose" in any way. It has no perceptible movement when I examine it with the slide removed. I keep the gun clean but I am very careful with the barrel crown. Again, I am not expecting benchrest precision and a .22LR barrel should last well beyond 10K rounds before being "shot out".

Anything else I should be looking for? (besides the loose nut holding on to the grip )

ETA- I have always had an occasional short cycle (maybe one in 100 rounds). Lately it seems to be more like 1 or 2 in 50 rounds. I haven't been keeping a good count, it just seems I am noticing a bit more than I used to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it back to Ruger with detailed description of what is occurring. You could have serious build up of lead and or carbon in the barrel
You could try to clean the barrel with carbon removers. Look up carbon ring
benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-69337.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Problem solved.

It turns out the barrel screw had fallen out at some point in the last 800 rounds. They barrel lug/slot was peened as well. It took a couple phone calls to Ruger CS to get a replacement barrel, barrel screw, and lock washer sent to me. I put it all back together with the new parts and accuracy was restored.

Check that barrel screw before each trip to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top