Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 9:47:35 PM EDT
Some forums I can post my write-up to with minor modifications, but due to this forum's format to post an article here requires I redo everything except the words. So instead of all that mess, here's a link to the original:  https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/04/13/ruger-lcr-9mm-review/
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You did good work, keep it up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Great article, great writing.

I've always felt S&W was missing the boat by not releasing a J-frame in 9mm with a better trigger.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Great write-up, thanks. I agree and have also posted about my wishes that Ruger offer an LCRX in 9mm. My preference would be a shrouded hammer 3" barreled configuration, whatever they called it. Ideally an LCRX in 9mm with a removable hammer shroud. One can dream....<><....:)
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great article, great writing.

I've always felt S&W was missing the boat by not releasing a J-frame in 9mm with a better trigger.
View Quote
They need to release a j and k frame 9mm

Make it like the old discontinued 547 where moon clips were not needed.  

If Charter arms can do it S&W can

The would not be able to make them fast enough.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
This specific pistol is on my to get list when i stumble into the right deal.

If you don't mind sharing your ammo choice???  
9mm is a much better performer than .38 Special
View Quote
I haven't studied up on it in a while the last time i researched when you got down to the short barrels it seemed like the difference was negligible with the ammo available at that time
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This specific pistol is on my to get list when i stumble into the right deal.

If you don't mind sharing your ammo choice???  

I haven't studied up on it in a while the last time i researched when you got down to the short barrels it seemed like the difference was negligible with the ammo available at that time
View Quote
On another forum someone brought up the same thing, and quoted the exact same text.  

Underwood sells .38 Special and .380 that they say does 1,200 FPS. I don't like using them as a reference though, they're more of a boutique ammo store and I try to base my data on widely available/commonly used ammo.  Under that premise I went with Speer's Gold Dot line.  9mm 124+P vs .38 Special 125+P

30% higher velocity from the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

On another forum someone brought up the same thing, and quoted the exact same text.  

Underwood sells .38 Special and .380 that they say does 1,200 FPS. I don't like using them as a reference though, they're more of a boutique ammo store and I try to base my data on widely available/commonly used ammo.  Under that premise I went with Speer's Gold Dot line.  9mm 124+P vs .38 Special 125+P

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j356/codenamedutchess007/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20170414-1950492_zpsm1ntqnpw.png

View Quote
Is "TB" in this case "typical barrel"?

It seems like a lot of these cases where comparisons are made, the shorter the barrel the smaller the overall numbers and the smaller the gap between the compared cartridges.

If you are into that sort of thing, there is a 9 MM Rhino.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is "TB" in this case "typical barrel"?

It seems like a lot of these cases where comparisons are made, the shorter the barrel the smaller the overall numbers and the smaller the gap between the compared cartridges.

If you are into that sort of thing, there is a 9 MM Rhino.
View Quote
It's my understanding it means Test Barrel and the length.  I would guess the V is for revolver but I don't really know.  

It's not something I've researched but I'd like to see the data.

I have thought about the Rhino, I like odd guns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j356/codenamedutchess007/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20170414-1950492_zpsm1ntqnpw.png

View Quote
Wasn't me..........  

So your just going off published data then.
Don't get me wrong i beleive 9mm has a slight edge but i don't beleive your going to see those kind of velocities out of a 2 inch barrel 9mm.

I wen't to speers website right quick to look and see if they publish barrel length etc since from my recollection nobody i've seen got 9mm velocities that high from a 3" gun let alone a 2" snubby.

Your comparing 38 snubnose 2" velocity to 9mm velocity out of a 4" . Speer shows  9mm short barrel ammo velocity 1150 fps from a 3.5".

I got tons of useless numbers rolling around in my head i just think when you cut another 1.5" off that 9mm barrel the gap is going to narrow considerably.......

ETA You still made me want the pistol more.......... i just don't think the ballistics are that significant
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wasn't me..........  

So your just going off published data then.
Don't get me wrong i beleive 9mm has a slight edge but i don't beleive your going to see those kind of velocities out of a 2 inch barrel 9mm.

I wen't to speers website right quick to look and see if they publish barrel length etc since from my recollection nobody i've seen got 9mm velocities that high from a 3" gun let alone a 2" snubby.

Your comparing 38 snubnose 2" velocity to 9mm velocity out of a 4" . Speer shows  9mm short barrel ammo velocity 1150 fps from a 3.5".

I got tons of useless numbers rolling around in my head i just think when you cut another 1.5" off that 9mm barrel the gap is going to narrow considerably.......

ETA You still made me want the pistol more.......... i just don't think the ballistics are that significant
View Quote
Just a funny coincidence.  

All I have access to is published data right now.  With spending so much on ammo and classes lately a chrono isn't high up the list.  Especially since I don't reload.

Unless I misunderstood your post, I'm not comparing snub nose .38 to 4" 9mm.  The screenshot data I posted was taken using 4" barrels for both 9mm and .38.  

I'd love to be able to test it sometime.  If I can find someone with a chrono and LCR in .38 around DFW, TX I'd supply the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice write up, thanks

and try this page

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com

lots of calibers and bbl lengths
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice write up, thanks

and try this page

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com

lots of calibers and bbl lengths
View Quote
Thanks, I couldn't remember the address!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top