Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 3:37:47 PM EDT
I really like the new Match Champion, but I'm pretty fond of the Security Six since my father and grandfather have one.  Bottom line, I think I would rather have a nice security six and save a bit of money.  Thing is, either people think they're worth more than they are, or they're just going for more money in my area.

Have my eye on two of them right now:

Blued, 6", near new condition (at the range once), in original box, 1982 build, and they'll throw in a box of Cor-Bon .357 - $550
Stainless, 4", near new condition (fired a couple times), 1979 build - $500

Either of these worth it or not?  I've got the cash and want to buy soon, but I just don't want to get ripped off.  That being said, I'll pay extra money for a really nice example.  Please let me know your thoughts!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I really like the new Match Champion, but I'm pretty fond of the Security Six since my father and grandfather have one.  Bottom line, I think I would rather have a nice security six and save a bit of money.  Thing is, either people think they're worth more than they are, or they're just going for more money in my area.

Have my eye on two of them right now:

Blued, 6", near new condition (at the range once), in original box, 1982 build, and they'll throw in a box of Cor-Bon .357 - $550
Stainless, 4", near new condition (fired a couple times), 1979 build - $500

Either of these worth it or not?  I've got the cash and want to buy soon, but I just don't want to get ripped off.  That being said, I'll pay extra money for a really nice example.  Please let me know your thoughts!
View Quote
Ok, never mind, I've decided to jump on the 4" Stainless.  The way I see it, the cheapest Stainless 4" GP 100 is going to run me at least $600 after tax (or if transfer is needed).  The Security-Six is a bit more special to me for a number of reasons and has more character than a new, off the shelf gun.  At least this is how I'm justifying it in my mind in order to buy it.  

I'll post some pics after I pick her up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Just picked her up today, and it seems like an awesome gun.  Can't wait to put a few rounds through her tomorrow.

As promised:

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a 6" S.S. model for years, my first handgun. They are solid and I prefer them over the GP model.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a 6" S.S. model for years, my first handgun. They are solid and I prefer them over the GP model.
View Quote
I also say good choice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice!  It's the exact service-six counterpart to my security-six!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a blued Police Six (fixed sights).

I bought it used about 10 years ago for $275. The trigger is lovely. I got a new Redhawk 44mag this year and I wish its trigger was as buttery smooth.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
yep, used they were $250 10 years ago.  A nice one will easily be $450 today and go up from there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice looking revolver you found.  It should last for a lifetime and provide lots of good memories.  I remember my Father having a 6" barrel model.  He sold it to a friend who still has it today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find a set, the factory targets make the Security-Six a very nice handful. They look good too.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just picked her up today, and it seems like an awesome gun.  Can't wait to put a few rounds through her tomorrow.

As promised:

http://i.imgur.com/Jpf3mcd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fbOxNQH.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a blued 6" that I inherited from Dad when he passed away, he bought it new at of all places, Payless drug store in Vancouver, WA and I just picked up the box and paperwork for it from the safe and amazingly it was bought exactly 30 years ago today for $143.97.  Of course, it is priceless to me, but I get a kick out of my Dad, he kept the original paperwork from every single gun he bought from a store, so I have the history on a lot of them, I fondly remember him carrying this gun when we went hunting and shooting the crap out of it when I was younger!

Still functions perfectly and the only thing I did to it was ad a 1 piece Hogue rubber grip to it and put the original wood grips in the box with the paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
you can get a Talo 686 Plus brand new for $660 at grabagun...  I like Security Sixes, but when they cost over $500, there are better options.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
They just keep going up . I have a 4 inch later stainless and the NYCPD service six spurless hammer 4 in 38. also a new in box Speed Six Gov 4 in blue with all papers and box , lanyard ring . I love the old Rugers . I kick myself passed on a mint speed six 357 2/5 in for 325 some time ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever you do, do not dissemble your Security Six.  It is BY FAR the most difficult gun I have ever tried to put back together.  It is one of three guns I have dissembled and had to take to a gunsmith to reassemble.  Said gunsmith told me to not ever take it apart again.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a 6" Security Six for sale on the Smith and Wesson forum in excellent condition for $485.  There is some thinning of the blue at the muzzle but it appears to have been fired very little.

I'd grab it if I didn't already have too many.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, do not dissemble your Security Six.  It is BY FAR the most difficult gun I have ever tried to put back together.  It is one of three guns I have dissembled and had to take to a gunsmith to reassemble.  Said gunsmith told me to not ever take it apart again.
View Quote
Never had a problem pulling the trigger assembly out of mine, and taking out the cylinder, and removing the hammer to give it a good cleaning.  I could see it being difficult though if you totally disassembled the trigger assembly.

We all have our box-o-parts guns though.  Mine was an NAA mini revolver.  Once I got it apart I realized it was more like a watch inside than a gun.  

... and nice gun OP. I have a blued security six 4" I picked up a few years back that came with a fair amount of honest finish wear... but it still shoots amazing and I would never part with it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad to see my thread was resurrected!  I've only put about a box of .38 through her and maybe half a box of .357.  That being said it's an incredibly fun gun to shoot.  The .38s shoot like butter and the .357s are obviously more stout, but still fun.  I bought a leather holster and plan on using it as my sidearm for deer season!
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I put over 20k rounds through mine.  Looks beat up but still shoots like new.  

Loaded and shot 38 special semiwadcutters ... paper got boring so we stood up empty shotgun hulls and snap shoot them at all kinds of distances.  This was in a gravel pit in the middle of nowhere.  Great trigger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn, that thing DOES look brand new.  500 is not a bad price at all for one that nice these days.

I love the Ruger Six series.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I paid $375 for a blued short barrel model about seven years ago, should have kept it.

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a blue 4" for $350 a few years ago, and bought a 4" stainless like new over July 4 weekend for $350
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a blued Security Six 4" from a friend. he recently got it from someone else who was in $ trouble.
my friend already had 3 or 4, so he passed it on to me for what he got it for, $300.  mechanically, its sweet,
trigger pull is a crisp 4#, bore is clean.  the bluing is marred on one side of the cylinder, i think it was taken
out of a drawer and put on a dresser, then back in the morning, for some years. I had already shot it when
he had it, so no surprises.  gonna be a good shooter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Not a screaming deal but just paid $400 for an early one

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top