Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks like you changed the front sight?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Looks like you changed the front sight?
View Quote

No, not yet. I  guess the angle makes it look different.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a group with a 250gr  (253 +/- on my digital scale) Keith-style cast hollow point from GT Bullets. These are sized .432" as available from the GT website.

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's something I shot this afternoon. This is five rounds loaded with Unique and Speer's 4428 210gr Gold Dot for the 44 Magnum. I blurred out the load data because it isn't anything published. I don't think it is necessarily a hot load and is under some published data for other 210gr bullets.

Anyway, this one really bares further messing with. I've loaded up 20 of this same load and will get some chrono data and shoot into gel ASAP.

As per my usual this is seated at 25 yards with a rolled up jacket for a rest.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is some additional gel testing with the Speer 210gr Gold Dot. These are clocking about 1,050fps with a charge of Blue Dot that's a bit over the few published or posted loads I have found for Blue Dot and a 210/215gr bullet.

It looks like these are almost fast enough to be where they need to be to expand properly and reliably. I don't know if I want to go too much farther with Blue Dot and might be better switching to 2400, H110, etc.

Here's one in heavy clothing that penetrated in excess of 32" followed by two in bare gel. Penetration in bare gel is around 20" at this speed.

And then I have another bare gel and heavy clothing shot with the GT Bullets 255gr RN LHP. Again this is a Skeeter charge of Unique with a muzzle velocity of 950fps. I have to say I'm quite surprised with how well these work in the gel.

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you thought of plugging those hollow points with something?
Like soft rtv or silicone adhesive?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you thought of plugging those hollow points with something?
Like soft rtv or silicone adhesive?
View Quote

I don't see any reason to.

Here's the 255 RN LHP from GT with a Keith-style dollop of 2400. I chrono'ed five of these and the average muzzle velocity is 1,082 fps. Low was 1063 and high was 1091.

The primers are pretty danged flat and recoil is a bit on the stout side. If I continue with this bullet and 2400 I'll actually work my way down a bit rather than up.

Anyway, the bullet in bare gel expanded probably about as far as it'll go without breaking apart. Penetration was about 12in. Through clothing the bullet still had impressive expansion and just right at 16in of penetration. My previous experimentation with Unique yields 950fps velocity and about 14in in gel. That's probably the load to use since recoil isn't as stiff yet penetration is still darned good.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok that's kool too.
I just thought it would be obvious because in a few of your examples, fired threw heavy simulated clothing, the hollow points failed to expand as planed.
Something already there to keep that material from plugging the hollow point up.

I don't even load 44 special.  
I do load 45acp and 45 clot.
As well as many other smaller cartridges.  9mm,327,32acp, 32l, 38,357, 45c, 45acp.
Just bought a Redhawk 45/45acp but am shurly going to just use lighter loads that I developed for my 1858 conversions or 45acp.  

I don't intend to use either of those for two legged deterrence. Just for fun.  
For hunting I have a 460V.  

Interesting and good write up however.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The difference seems to be jacketed vs cast. The gun, so far at least, shows a strong preference for lead.
View Quote

My guess (wild ass type) is you have a miss match of cylinder to bore size or a constriction where the barrel passes through the frame and the cast bullets are more forgiving than the jacketed type. Might be interesting to try plated and coated bullets , both being softer than cast commercial bullets.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My guess (wild ass type) is you have a miss match of cylinder to bore size or a constriction where the barrel passes through the frame and the cast bullets are more forgiving than the jacketed type. Might be interesting to try plated and coated bullets , both being softer than cast commercial bullets.
View Quote

It doesn't matter now.  That gun is gone back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What for?  Spill it Melvin.
Took my new shinny Redhawk 45acp/45 clot out yesterday and had a few difficulties.  
Namely, fiocchi 45 acp was shaving jacket material on one hole and it was locking up some other way.  Also looked like some jackass in the polishing room dropped it on the left muzzle then polished it out or tried.  
I ain't happy one bit.  I need to clean it and run a alignment guage down the bore.  
Also, the recoil shield isn't polished like every other revolver I have seen.  Left as cast surface.  
Light 45 clot loads seemed to function fine but they were just lead.  
Took along my sheriffs Peitta 1858 with conversion cylinder and that out shot the Redhawk rikitikki.  
Didn't do paper.  Targets were steel 10" and 8" at 25 yards with the occasional 100yard pop off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What for?  Spill it Melvin.
View Quote

I couldn't get the gun to group with anything other than a couple different cast bullet handloads.  Anything jacketed (and really hardcast bullets like Cast Performance) just flat out would not group.

Ruger sent out a replacement gun almost immediately.  It shoots WAY better than the old gun (loves Hornady 180 and 200 XTP) but doesn't seem to like heavier (240+) bullets.  I'm still playing with it but, so far at least, it doesn't seem to like anything heavier than about 235 grains.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Posted by Denis Prisbrey on another forum.  Encouraged by this news!

Just off the phone with Ruger.
The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

I'm encouraged.
This is a neat little gun & I WANT it to succeed. :)

Also, if the GP you already bought has a problem with chamber-related accuracy, Ruger is aware of the issue & should be able to correct it if you return it for service.
Denis
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just off the phone with Ruger.
The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

I'm encouraged.
This is a neat little gun & I WANT it to succeed. :)

Also, if the GP you already bought has a problem with chamber-related accuracy, Ruger is aware of the issue & should be able to correct it if you return it for service.
Denis
I don't know what this quote means  but fiber optic on this revolver suck bad; it's very anemic even in  well lit space or when pointed on dark surface. I improved on it a little bit
by painting front surface of fiber optic ball  white with nail polish; it's reflect light inward  Fiber optic has very little exposure to gather light. Maybe different color would work better but that's for later
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have owned my share of rugers but have become a S&W snob mostly because of the triggers. Not everyone agrees with me but plenty do. For many , me included , shooting a double action revolver is all about the trigger and S&W is the leader of the pack. Yeah you can do a spring kit on the Ruger and get it almost as good as the factory S&W but if you do the springs on the S&W you have something better yet

Either way you go , revolvers are a hoot
View Quote

Agree 100% on Smith triggers. Sold my SP 101 for same reasons. Rugers are very strong and serviceable but rough.

I do have a SBH Bisley Hunter with aftermarket trigger. Sweet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know what this quote means  but fiber optic on this revolver suck bad; it's very anemic even in  well lit space or when pointed on dark surface. I improved on it a little bit
by painting front surface of fiber optic ball  white with nail polish; it's reflect light inward  Fiber optic has very little exposure to gather light. Maybe different color would work better but that's for later
View Quote

Mr. Prisbrey was posting about the gap under the front sight. It seems like all the early guns have a slight (but quite noticeable) gap on both sides of the dovetail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 3" .357 that's needing a friend....

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice always like the .44 spl.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mr. Prisbrey was posting about the gap under the front sight. It seems like all the early guns have a slight (but quite noticeable) gap on both sides of the dovetail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed it too; it doesn't bother me as long as blade to base attachment is strong. I would prefer Ruger kept GP100 front sight mounting system though
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
6 weeks later Melvin, are you still liking it?  Have you got to shoot it much more?  Do I want one or stick with a model 29?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
6 weeks later Melvin, are you still liking it?  Have you got to shoot it much more?  Do I want one or stick with a model 29?
View Quote
The GP and 29 don't really fill the same roll. At least not in my mind.

What are your intended uses for whichever one you buy?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The GP and 29 don't really fill the same roll. At least not in my mind.

What are your intended uses for whichever one you buy?
View Quote
Paper punching only, so call it target accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Paper punching only, so call it target accuracy.
View Quote
Do you reload?

I think you'll probably be happier with the Smith if accuracy is your primary focus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice looking GP100.  I just ordered up a Lipsey's 5" blued GP100 in 44 Special.   I'm looking forward to playing with it.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP-4451-5
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I picked it up toady, here it is!

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well I picked it up toady, here it is!

http://i.imgur.com/kI9jMZt.jpg
View Quote
Looks slick. I kind of like the idea of the 5in gun. Sort of a unique barrel length nowadays.

Let us know!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorry, everyone.

No real news. Bottom line is I had a rather frustrating day on the range. I tried three different brands/types of ammo with poor accuracy results.

My guess is that there's a constriction of some type where the barrel meets the frame. This is, in effect, swaging the bullet; making it undersized for the bore.

I will see if I can't get some Hornady or maybe some Black Hills ammo and try again. If these new loads don't shoot the gun will need a trip back to the factory.
View Quote
If you are correct about the constriction it is nothing new . Elmer Keith bitched about it in July of 1975 . He claims the barrel needs to be a tight fit to prevent turning and usually that requires a size that makes installing the barrel a slight force fit. A oversize barrel or a undersized frame will indeed make a constriction. He reccomended you oil the bore and drive a soft led ball or bullet down the bore. Any constriction would be felt as you drive the ball. He reccomends having a good gunsmith hand lap the bore or send it back to the factory.

If I found the bore constricted I would only send it back. Seems a shame. If you get that sorted out I would go with a spring kit and a trigger job, Revolvers are all about the trigger pull (for me) better trigger is always a better gun.
I was lucky years ago to trip over a used 629 lew Horton special with a 3" barrel. Really nice shooting gun
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate the continued write up on this. I missed out on the 696 and am too cheap to pay current pricing for one. I have a few questions for anyone in the know.

How does this revolver compare to the 696? Does anyone have a comparison picture? I would think the Ruger is much heavier. I wonder how much weight we would save by fluting the cylinders?

What's a good price today?

What is the significance/reasoning behind four layers of denim? Is it supposed to translate to a real world experience or is it simply a known factor that will definitely clog a HP so we can see how the bullet will over penetrate?

Are you finding 3" GP100 holsters work fine for the 44 Special?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#30]
In the third picture I see a chewed up thumb knuckle. Is that from the cylinder release?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top