Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2016 3:09:10 PM EDT
So the girlfriend wants an SP101 for christmas. It's her first gun and I'm thrilled she wants one.

However, she wants it to be "pretty." Of course. She wants a grip that's either orange (her favorite color) or "Tiffany blue". Obviously orange is out because it looks too much like a toy.

That leaves the blue. Hogue seems to only make black, pink, or purple overmold grips.

I'd really love to find some rubber grips that are in Tiffany blue or robins egg blue, or some similar color. My google-fu has failed me. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong but I've only seen purple, black and pink rubber grips. There are custom panels that fit in and replace the black plastic stock ones. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'd really love to find some rubber grips that are in Tiffany blue or robins egg blue, or some similar color. My google-fu has failed me. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Tillandergungrips dot com.  You send in your grips(only if he doesn't already have the mold) and he makes an exact mold of them and can offer them to you in any color you can dream of.  All for less than $20.  He has done several guns for me already.  Top notch stuff.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Check this guy out....

http://chigsgrips.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally think the Hogue Rosewood laminate grips are "pretty"!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were you, I'd take the plastic insert from the grips (or buy a factory set of inserts, should be cheap, if your gun as wood inserts) and see if I could find someone to Cerakote it with the color you want.  Or just get some Krylon in the right color.  You'll have a functional black rubber grip with a Tiffany blue insert.  Seems a good compromise between looks and functionality.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm… 

How does she like the factory grips? If she like ’em, Chigs looks like a good option. But, personally, I think the factory grips leave a lot to be desired. My 3” .357 has been wearing Hogue Overmolded for a couple decades, and I’ve never looked back.

I think she’d appreciate the egos and comfort of the Hogues, but as you point out, the colors are limited. However, I’ve recolored a number of polymer items using good ’ol RIT dyes. Black is a real challenge, so you’d be better off starting with a lighter color; I'd suggest the purple, cos it’s closest to the desired final color. Use the RIT color removal solution to bleach them out as best you can; then use one or more or the color solutions, and try to get as close as you can to that “Tiffany blue” color. Worse come to worse, use the color removal solution to bleach it out and start over.

If you hurry, you can score her a sweet Valentine's Day gift. Good luck!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top