[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Me 2.
View Quote

That makes three of us....
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Am I the first to get a defective    LCP2 pistol? My wife has   an original LCP no problems  other than hard to retract the slide and the hard trigger pull. I got her a new LCP2. Slide and trigger much better. My  son took it to the range to check it out.   Problems!  Jams, Fail to eject, trigger not resetting, and fail to go back into battery. Old gun works fine.Old mags don't help in new gun.I will be  contacting Ruger after thoroughly         discussing the problem with my son.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been carrying an LCPII now for a couple weeks in a small IWB holster, but chamber empty due to the lack of any hammer/firing pin block.  I really like the ease of concealment and how comfortable it is to fire for such a small pistol, and I would prefer to carry with a round chambered, but I fear that the lack any drop safety will keep me and my wife from using this for every day carry. I'm not very risk adverse, but in this situation its hard for me to ignore the fact that a different firearm will allow me that extra safety and peace of mind.

Not trying to dissuade anybody, just my .02
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Jet,  I just got back from the range.  A brisk 15 degrees and no problems to report with the LCP II.  Ran just 50 through it with some being SIG HP and the rest being PMC FMJ.  Sweet shooter.  Failure drills and slow fire, GTG.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife took her new LCPll out from under the Christmas tree this morning.
  We went to the range this afternoon
"Hey whats the trick to inserting the magazine"

I tried and couldent do iot without pushing in the mag release.. I thought bad mag but the same thing happened with the 2 other mags I bought her.
It was impossible to insert a magazine without pushing the mag release.

She shot a box of Armscore and there were no missues other than inserting the mags.
My wife loves the pistol and was very accurate with it at 10 yards.

Wnen we got home I started monkeying wiht it and eventually was able to force mags in without using the mag release.
It smoothed out and now mags go in slick as shit.
Guess it just needed a little break in.

Gun had been cleaned before it went under the tree.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I spoke with Ruger today and they confirmed that the only safety the firearm has is the trigger bar.  Ruger states that to safely carry the LCP II you should have an empty chamber.

For a range gun a firing pin block isn't necessary, but for a gun that is marketed as a pocket pistol, Ruger has created an accident waiting to happen. I am sure there are thousands of owners out there that will disregard Ruger's recommendation, and when the first one malfunctions they are looking at an expensive lawsuit and recall.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, can anyone that owns a new LCPII find the carry with an empty chamber warning in the owner's manual?

I just pulled up the owner's manual online. Here is a copy / paste from page 14 of the LCP II manual:

Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and
unload it immediately when you have completed
shooting. (See “Unloading Warning” on page 16.)

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber
empty unless actually firing!

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a
loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be
empty, and the slide should be closed. If placed into a
holster, check it to be sure that the slide is not
retracted far enough to chamber a cartridge from the
magazine.

What a crock for a defensive pistol. Way to go Ruger, refine a sweet little carry gun in the areas people gripe about, then turn it into a paper weight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, can anyone that owns a new LCPII find the carry with an empty chamber warning in the owner's manual?

I just pulled up the owner's manual online. Here is a copy / paste from page 14 of the LCP II manual:

magazine.

What a crock for a defensive pistol. Way to go Ruger, refine a sweet little carry gun in the areas people gripe about, then turn it into a paper weight.
View Quote

A good search of that exerpt from the manual brings up similar statements in the LCP and other Ruger firearms.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A good search of that exerpt from the manual brings up similar statements in the LCP and other Ruger firearms.
View Quote

Yep. Pretty standard verbiage.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
lawyer talk

[...chambers round,... tops off mag,... drops into Nemesis rig, ...slides into front right pocket]

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
TL;DR: Compared my upgraded Bodyguard 380 to the LCP II, and the LCP II is the early winner despite those upgrades.

I picked up my new LCP II on Christmas Eve for $289 + tax and put it under the tree as a Santa gift to me. This morning I took it to the range and put 80 rounds of Federal Range Target Practice through it, and about 20 through my M&P Bodyguard 380 for comparison.   You can see they are quite similar (I aligned the tops of the slides with a ruler for this photo):

Attachment Attached File

- The trigger is better than the Bodyguard, even though the Bodyguard has a Galloway Precision trigger kit (link to newer model). The LCP II has a lighter pull and shorter, cleaner reset. Simply better.
- The two guns feel very similar in my hand, using the stock six round magazine with pinky extension.  The LCP II may be slightly less snappy but that could be my imagination. And the Bodyguard has a Talon rubber grip.  It took me a while to get used to shooting the Bodyguard and I wasn't comfortable with it at all until after I installed the grips and the trigger.  The LCP II felt very comfortable, probably because it's so similar to the upgraded Bodyguard.
- They have similar sights.  I wish they had put the LCP Custom's sights on the LCP II.  Very hard to see black bull's-eye targets at the range, but no issues with a a silhouette target.
- Fires well and accuracy seems on par with the Bodyguard.
- The LCP II comes with a nice little synthetic holster.  I'll probably use it. I have a Desantis IWB leather holster for the Bodyguard that seems to fit the LCP II fine.  Due to the laser, as expected my Kydex Bodyguard holster does not fit the LCP II.

I didn't clean the LCP II before shooting it, just right out of the box, and with the first three magazines the last round failed to fully cycle. No issues after that. Yeah I should have cleaned it first but I was time pressured.

For some reason, the LCP II was throwing crap on me.  I felt several hot particles hit my face while shooting, a few casings bounced of my face, and a hot casing landed in my collar. I even noticed a black mark on my forehead while washing up after shooting. I hope that does not continue. Perhaps cleaning it will fix that.

I really like the LCP II.  There is no question that it is a better gun than the stock Bodyguard.  And even with my upgrades to the S&W, my initial impression is that the LCP II's better trigger makes it the winner of the two.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For some reason, the LCP II was throwing crap on me.  I felt several hot particles hit my face while shooting, a few casings bounced of my face, and a hot casing landed in my collar. I even noticed a black mark on my forehead while washing up after shooting. I hope that does not continue. Perhaps cleaning it will fix that.
View Quote

I have noticed this as well. I let my lady shoot it after I got it and she kept getting hot brass down her shirt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have noticed this as well. I let my lady shoot it after I got it and she kept getting hot brass down her shirt.
View Quote

I assume you helped with that
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot mine again today

100 Fiocchi FMJ

100% reliable

no troubles with ejection or anything else
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm loving my LCP 2. Had an early LCP and between the slim grips and small trigger guard it just didn't fit my hand right. The LCP 2 has enough extra grip and trigger guard room that I bought the first one I handled. No issues with mine so far. I really, really like the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Just shot mine and it is dropping the mag every 2-3 rounds with either single hand or both hands. Definitely not hitting the mag release while shooting. Only does it with the extended mag base. So it is the downward pressure of my hand pulling down on the mag combined with the recoil of the gun. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just shot mine and it is dropping the mag every 2-3 rounds with either single hand or both hands. Definitely not hitting the mag release while shooting. Only does it with the extended mag base. So it is the downward pressure of my hand pulling down on the mag combined with the recoil of the gun. Any suggestions?
View Quote

I shaved the slightest amount (.010") off the upper portion of the floor plate on my mag and it solved the seating issues me and a few others around the web are having. It was definitely to tight on mine. The flat floor plate was worse. I actually didn't have to do anything to the one that comes installed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Besides all of the failures my new LCP2 had,The  gun smelled awfull. It smelled like burnt tar. Poly frame ? After sitting for a week the odor went away. Any one else have this problem?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

magazine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke with Ruger today and they confirmed that the only safety the firearm has is the trigger bar.  Ruger states that to safely carry the LCP II you should have an empty chamber.

For a range gun a firing pin block isn't necessary, but for a gun that is marketed as a pocket pistol, Ruger has created an accident waiting to happen. I am sure there are thousands of owners out there that will disregard Ruger's recommendation, and when the first one malfunctions they are looking at an expensive lawsuit and recall.

magazine.

I've got a Gen 1 LCP that had to go back for the recall.

I was under the impression that the purpose of the recall was to make the guns drop safe.

What am I missing?

ETA:
Never mind.
Reading is fundamental.
I guess the new "Glock style" trigger is the cause for concern.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Saw one in the local store for 270. It's definitely improved. The grip texture and hold is vastly better than my older LCP (though, I like the hogue rubber grip on mine). Sights are tall enough to see. Trigger really didn't do it for me any better than mine but I dunno...I'm used to mine. Reset was better and length+weight of pull lessened. It's fine for the LCPs role. Hold open obviously nice.

I'm not running to dump mine but the improvements are certainly there for those in the market anew.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Hit it with a 5 pound sledge hammer.  Post the results.  

I carry mine in a Superfly holster with one in the chamber.

Dangerous to carry chambered in a holster?

Horseshit.

Not what Ruger says, they have to say that.  Do everything you can (short of taking a center-punch to the hammer) and get back with me...  
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm thinking of picking up an LCP II.  Anyone see a great deal on-line? I've seen $269, but if I found one for $250, I'd bite.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of picking up an LCP II.  Anyone see a great deal on-line? I've seen $269, but if I found one for $250, I'd bite.
View Quote

$269 isn't a great deal?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct. I want to think that Ruger would have drop tested the snot out of the II since it was an issue with the first gen LCPs. I guess time will tell if it becomes an issue.

Man, going back and reading my other replies I am not sure what my problem was that day. Someone must have slipped some Liberal Estrogen in my coffee that morning, as I sure came across as a whiny b#tch
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$269 isn't a great deal?
View Quote

Oh, I think it is.  I just need a little more coaxing to separate it from my wallet.  $250 would do it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Put 50 downrange the other day.  Flawless and surprising accuracy to boot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Just picked up a LCP II today for $200.  LNIB with a box of 90 grain Gold Dot with six rounds missing.

Guy said his wife hated it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just picked up a LCP II today for $200.  LNIB with a box of 90 grain Gold Dot with six rounds missing.

Guy said his wife hated it.
View Quote

Finally got out to shoot mine. Put only a few mags through it at the end of my outing, but I was thoroughly impressed with it. The group was amazing and the recoil impulse was much more mild than my LCP 1. I have no idea how they did it, because dimensionally and internally the two pistols are a near mirroring. So that guy's wife was crazy as far as I'm concerned. Also, I didn't realize how beautiful a thing a slide lock back on empty was.  Going to be hard shooting my LCP 1 if this one proves reliable. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Well talking about LCP's I have the standard, Custom and LCP II. The Custom has much better sights and a better trigger.. for me anyway. The Sights are raised front and rear with a white dot on the front, back are just black. The taller sights bothered some LCP holsters. the Custom's trigger is a drilled red aluminum thing and at first seemed like a gimmick to me, but it is a wider smoother face and I find it easier to manipulate. I am noticeably more accurate with the Custom. The Custom also has a stainless steel guide rod. It might contribute to reliability, but I never heard of a LCP reliability problem ... personally. The LCP II has worse sights that the Custom, but better than the standard LCP. They tried for a happy medium in height and did that fairly well, they are all black front and rear. The trigger looks familiar to Glocker's as it has the trigger safety like most striker fired pistols, but it is not striker fired. Still hammer fired like the LCP and Custom, but it is NOT DOUBLE ACTION like they are it is single action and as such has a shorter, easier trigger pull. The LCP II will use older LCP six round magazines, but the new lock back of the slide will not work. I carry the new LCP II with it's magazine in and a old LCP mag as a spare, then it's just a small rock. Having all three I would recommend either the Custom or the LCP II as both are more accurate for me over the LCP, I do prefer the LCP II when said and done.  If you already have a LCP, hey it is accurate and reliable enough. All three are very snappy compared to a Colt Mustang XSP or G-42.  I have a easy racking RM-380 with a long trigger pull, accurate enough, reliable, but I have not warmed up to it.  I have a easy to shoot , smallest and most accurate Kahr CW-380, mine is very particular on ammo, don't even say Fiocchi around it.  I did replace the Striker with a more reliable one from Lakeline, replaced the guide rod too.  I had no problems myself, but others have had them.   I have a S&W Sigma 380 and a Browning BDA 380 (13 round double stack similar to a Beretta 84 and made by Beretta too) I have a order in for a new Taurus Spectrum 380.  I carry either the LCP II or the CW-380
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I just bought one used in new condition, I didn't research before and see I over paid for it by about $25.00 Not the end of the world.

Went straight to the range & put 50 Gold Dots and 25 HST in it and had 2 FTE, one was the second to last round and I think the other was the last round, I was shooting weak hand fast so maybe I did something.

I got it to ankle as a back up but may consider it for left hand pocket carry, who you guys using for pocket holsters? The ruger one seems bulky in my jeans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:09:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I did not care for the Ruger Nylon holster for the LCP II as the rear sights seemed to hang on the border when drawing.  I then swapped with my Custom which had been in a Bianchi "152" model leather holster.  really nice fit for either gun.  The Custom stops at the rear sight in the Nylon holster so it is not bad for the Custom.  I have a Galco Pocket Protector for my Mustang XSP and like it, here is the LCP II model.

If ordering the Bianchi I would suggest starting at their home page.  Bianchi took a month, Galco 10 weeks

Truly my favorite with several of these holsters in my inventory is the RKBA Flat pocket Holster  This holster is molded to the gun shape on the interior side and will maintain that shape, the exterior side presents a smooth flat shape and really does not print.  You can get up to three initials on it for personalization. I have tried Natural, Brown, and black , smooth and rough out.  I now prefer smooth brown.  The only bummer is he is busy and it might take 12 weeks
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice review, should quash some safety concerns.

Talon makes rubberized or granulated (Fine sandpaper like) custom cut grip Tape for the LCP II, I don't have any yet but I'm ordering it today.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#35]

From the article:

From a safety standpoint, the LCP II lacks any type of passive firing pin safety. The pistol’s hammer and sear engagement is very robust when fully cocked, negating the need for an internal firing pin block. Just to be safe, Ruger engineers did add a second sear engagement point on the hammer (similar to the half-cock position on a 1911) that will catch the hammer in case the sear receives a sufficient shock that might jar the hammer loose. In factory testing, Ruger found the primary sear engagement was so good that the sear actually had to be machined away in order to test the secondary engagement.  

That is good news indeed. I wonder why it took this long for this info to come out somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just bought one used in new condition, I didn't research before and see I over paid for it by about $25.00 Not the end of the world.

Went straight to the range & put 50 Gold Dots and 25 HST in it and had 2 FTE, one was the second to last round and I think the other was the last round, I was shooting weak hand fast so maybe I did something.

I got it to ankle as a back up but may consider it for left hand pocket carry, who you guys using for pocket holsters? The ruger one seems bulky in my jeans.
View Quote

I use a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster for my LcpII.  It is really "tacky" and stays in the pocket when drawing.  It also has a removable "flap" that blocks the pistol's outline very well.  I really like mine!  http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY  Note that you can raise that flap so it totally blocks the auto's grip.  It just looks like a rectangle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I use a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster for my LcpII.  It is really "tacky" and stays in the pocket when drawing.  It also has a removable "flap" that blocks the pistol's outline very well.  I really like mine!  http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY  Note that you can raise that flap so it totally blocks the auto's grip.  It just looks like a rectangle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried left side front pocket carry for a few days but I had a problem moving my credit card holder, money clip and knife out for the LCP2. I can't go back to a wallet in my back pocket and right front pocket is for my 2 Iphones.

I bought a desantis Sof-tuck  but it ends up as wide as my G43 in an incog so returned it.

I'm kind of at a loss right now. I'd do IWB at 9 o'clock but not much is offered for left hand and thin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Left Hand IWB for LCP II

I should add .... he does a great job but it takes a good long while to get it
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone had feeding issues with critical defense?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has anyone had feeding issues with critical defense?
View Quote

nope

. . .tests ok so far

are you having trouble ?

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

nope

. . .tests ok so far

are you having trouble ?

View Quote

No. Sorry. I should have been more clear.

I read on another forum about some feeding troubles with Critical Defense. No experience with it myself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Left Hand IWB for LCP II

View Quote

This looks good, do you know if the guy will customize a belt clip I supply?

I've had bad luck with the clip he is using in that pic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine does not like ammo with a thick rim.  I worked on the slide face  and extractor a bit expecting to find a burr but did not find anything nor did touching things up a bit with the jewelers file help.  It did not care for WWB or the standard Hornady brass case ammo at all.  I doubt I ever got more than 15 rounds of either to cycle problem free. However, it does like  PPU round nose and most importantly the nickel plated Critical Defense hollow points which is what I currently carry.  Proving it out was an expensive way to find ammo that it does like.   Pumping 100 of 100 rounds of incident free critical defense down the pipe to make me comfortable with the reliability was an expensive endeavor...   On the upside it forced me to run about 400+ Total rounds down the pipe before I was done so I got comfortable with the little pistol.  FYI, the sensitivity to the rim shape/thickness would cause failures to feed and eject.  It's good with either of the 2 magazines I have and I carry it in a wallet type holster nearly everywhere I go.  The trigger is fine IMHO for this type of pistol and 7 rounds in a couple inches at 7 yards is pretty easy to do in short order.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Left Hand IWB for LCP II

I don't know, but I think he will depending on the way it's attached.  I just ordered a flat pocket holster for the LCP II from him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I had an LCPII, it's definitely a step up above the regular LCP for sure.

I understand it's intended purpose and I'm fine with that, but for me, it wasn't pleasant to shoot.   I swear I thought my earlier regular LCP's had less recoil then the LCPII does, so I guess that's my one complaint against it, it's better than the regular LCP in every way except it's no better, maybe worse, in the recoil department.  I shot it side by side with my XDS .40 S&W and I swear they both felt about the same, call me crazy....sure the .40 had a bit more push but both were relatively snapper little things.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#46]
i had the first lcp and then sold it once i felt the trigger on the lcp 2 it is amazing how much better it is. the recoil to me is non existent but my wife hates how small it is and i think a 7 round mag if they every come out with one for the lcp 2 will fix alot of grip issues and make recoil more comfortable. i have been shooting about 150 rounds in the lcp  and 120 or so in the lcp 2 and the trigger makes me more accurate. but i am shooting at 7 yrds since its a pocket gun for 21 ft or less for legal use of self defense in my state. i have full sized sig 9mm for the home defense and 12 ga shotgun. this is purely an anywhere gun. throwing it in a pair of shorts is amazing love how light and small it is no belt needed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me 2.

That makes 4 of us.   RF pocket working well.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top