Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2016 2:15:19 PM EDT
Took my daughter to pick out her first CC pistol.  I was trying to steer her toward a Glock 42 or 43, but I had the shop owner bring out all the similar single stacks that I'd read good reviews on.  Soon as he handled the LC9s, she was sold. Fit her small hands well and she had no problem working the slide.  Thing has a really nice trigger, BTW.

I've seen some online reviews, but I've never shot one or knew anyone who had one.  I've known several people who own the little LCPs and they like them, so I figure the quality is there.

Just curios about long term reliability some of you might have experienced with these.  Also, are there any certain ammos that these might not like. That kind of stuff. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Op don't forget to look at the Sig 238 or the S&W Shield. But I'd buy whatever your daughter fits your daughter best and that SHE likes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my LC9s. It seems to eat everything so far.  I use mainly blazer brass, white box and Speer lawman for practice. No problem with critical defense, gold dots or my current fav 147gr +p HST.  My only complaint is that extra mags are expensive. I carry it with a standard 7 round mag and carry a spare 7 or 9 round mag.  A word of warning, hold the gun upside down when putting the slide back on.  I've had the guide rod slip off the barrel when reassembling and get stuck.  Freaked me out the first time it happened.

Re holsters, still a work in progress.  I have an Alien gear 2.0 that I like and a just got a Comptac Calvery holster that is like the mtac but smaller.  I also have a Remora holster that I use for pocket carry.  I also have a N82 pro.  I find the grip of the LC9s is a little short to get a smooth release from the N82.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my LC9s. It seems to eat everything so far.  I use mainly blazer brass, white box and Speer lawman for practice. No problem with critical defense, gold dots or my current fav 147gr +p HST.  My only complaint is that extra mags are expensive. I carry it with a standard 7 round mag and carry a spare 7 or 9 round mag.  A word of warning, hold the gun upside down when putting the slide back on.  I've had the guide rod slip off the barrel when reassembling and get stuck.  Freaked me out the first time it happened.

Re holsters, still a work in progress.  I have an Alien gear 2.0 that I like and a just got a Comptac Calvery holster that is like the mtac but smaller.  I also have a Remora holster that I use for pocket carry.  I also have a N82 pro.  I find the grip of the LC9s is a little short to get a smooth release from the N82.
YMMV
View Quote

All the ammo you've mentioned was what I wondered about.  Gold Dots in particular.  I've also wanted to give the Alien gear holsters a go. They don't cost that much to try.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All the ammo you've mentioned was what I wondered about.  Gold Dots in particular.  I've also wanted to give the Alien gear holsters a go. They don't cost that much to try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

Same with mine.
even eats my tumbled alox lubed cast bullets, no problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fan of the LC9s Pro, decent trigger and fits my hand better than all the micro 380's out there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
LC9s is the best Ruger pocket 9mm on the market in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
She called me today and said she ran some WWB through it. Both her and her husband said they enjoyed shooting it and it did great.   I hope to get to try myself at at the range next week.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same with mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

Same with mine.

I hope to run some of my powder coated reloads in it, next chance.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been very happy with my pro model. Like my other Rugers, it is very reliable, and has a very good trigger, light years better than the lc9.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
LC9s Pro.  No failures with some crappy ammo or any self defense ammo.  Great trigger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
And a perfect fit to boot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Got to run about 75 rounds through her little pistol this last Sunday.  Was totally impressed.  Good sights, good trigger.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry one almost every day in a cheap DeSantis IWB tuckable holster.  Extra mag in left pocket.  

The trigger couldn't be better in my opinion.

Patrick
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an original LC9 with the Galloway trigger. The trigger is OK on mine with the new trigger (the striker-fired LC9s is much better). The gun is great for carry and is my usual EDC.

Mine didn't like 115gr Gold Dots (would tend to jam on the first round), but ate everything else just fine. My current carry ammo is the 147gr HST.

I use a JM Custom AIWB holster and a Kytex OWB mag carrier with an extra 9-round mag. I carry the gun with a 7-round mag with pinky extension.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Very happy with my LC9s pro.  Best trigger I have seen on a striker pistol.
Seems very solid and well built.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have had the opportunity to shoot the Ruger LC9s with WWB and Hornady Critical Defense and have had no problems at all.  The LC9s will make for a good carry gun.  I have also shot the S&W Performance Center Shield in 9 mm.  Both of these pistols have similar controls and both functioned perfectly.  If there is a difference I would say the Shield has a trigger much more like those of a single action revolver.  The stroke and reset of the trigger is much shorter and it is lighter in the Shield.  I have a large hand and the Shield is a better fit for me in this area.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these pistols and in reality it will come down to personal preference.  I have also shot the Kahr CW9 and have had no problems with it.  The CW9's trigger is similar to the LC9s'.  Again, personal preference will win out.

My brother and nephew both have the Alien Gear IWB holster.  Both of them have tried a number of IWB holsters.  My brother says hands down the most comfortable IWB that he has tried.  He is pretty fussy about comfort and getting his approval is a big deal!
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]
What a pleasant surprise to have an out of the box new pistol(LC9 Pro) that has a perfect trigger, feeds everything I've tried, point shoots right on target, and isn't to big to put in your pocket if needed. Good on you for raising your daughter to our side! Regards
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What a pleasant surprise to have an out of the box new pistol(LC9 Pro) that has a perfect trigger, feeds everything I've tried, point shoots right on target, and isn't to big to put in your pocket if needed. Good on you for raising your daughter to our side! Regards
View Quote

Started her young on a .22.  She's grown and married and still loves shooting, so i don't mind keeping her in shooting irons. :)
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Only thing that I have had an issue with was the slide not locking back on factory 9 round mags.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a bad experience and ended up getting rid of mine. Neither me nor Ruger could prevent the magazines from falling out when gripping it tightly. We thought it was me hitting thumb on magazine release until we shaved it completely off and it still kept happening. Lots of bad reports on the web from others having magazine issues as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
MIne has been flawless since I bought it over a year ago. I have shot many types of ammo through it and all functioned perfectly well as has the pistol. I have let others try it at the range and a couple were so impressed they each bought one and have reported that theirs also have run 100% with NO issues. They are a great gun for the money and very reliable....<><....:)
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Recoil is pretty sharp, even shooting 147gr bullets it has quite a bit of muzzle jump compared to my Wather PPS. Actually jumps as much as my Kahr PM45 and that's a small gun shooting a big round.

I've only had mine out once running 50 rounds of 147gr AM. Eagle flatnose & 124 gr. bulk reloads. Accuracy was nothing to brag about but that's more to do with me, as I got used to the trigger my groups got better.

No malfunctions, even shooting with a very light grip I couldn't get it to jam by limpwristing it. Both with the factory mag and two Ruger OEM mags, all 'Made in USA'.

I like the trigger, for a pocket carry pistol the weight & travel is good without killing accuracy.

I'd heard a few complaints about the pistol bashing the web of your hand pretty hard but I never noticed, although I only ran 50 rounds of std. loads. For me it was no worse than firing a 1911 or any large frame 9mm, and I've got soft baby-like 'work on a keyboard all day' hands. I'd packed a pair of padded gloves just in case and never touched them. Would have touched off more rounds but was short on time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
300 rounds into mine. Four or five stovepipes. Running the factory seven round and a nine round.

Happy so far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a LC9 when they 1st came out, and have carried it since, but the trigger has always been crap.

The day I heard of the LC9s coming out I have been wating for one to make its way into my hands. I picked one up yesterday, dry fired it and said bring me the papers.

A hour later and I was at the range, and dropping steel poppers faster than I thought my 51 year old eyes could see.

I got the dark earth one and LOVE it.

Best part, no new holster to break in, stuffed it in the Cross Breed mini-tuck and all is well.

First time EVER buying a new firearm and not picking up anything for it, no ammo, mags, nothing...

Well done Ruger!
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LC9s is the best Ruger pocket 9mm on the market in my opinion.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both the LC9s and LC9s Pro.  I have 400 rounds through the LC9s and half that through the Pro.  Both eat anything I put in them.

I much prefer the Pro.  Much better trigger, no thumb safety, no mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
LC9s Pro here.  I tried both of the Glocks mentioned but couldn't stand the trigger pull.  Mine has functioned flawlessly with all ammo I've put through it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]
LC9s pro is the best 9mm pocket pistol on the market
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Local shop across the street from the Newport factory has an LC9s from the UGB for $250 out the door.  Only thing is it's this color:

Trigger is night and day different from the original though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a used original LC9. I really like it. I can shoot it well even with the double action only trigger.  I don't care for semi-autos with no manual  safety for everyday carry and I own Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:58:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Absolutely love my LC9s and carry it almost every day. It rides in an AlabamaHolsters kydex pocket holster
with a matching pocket mag pouch in the opposite pocket.

Put a set of XS BigDot sights on it and it is VERY fast on target.

It has been 100% reliable with all of the FMJ brands I practice with and it is loaded with Federal HST 124 grains.

Very happy with it, everyone who shoots it likes it and I recommend it to others looking for a CC pistol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Absolutely love my LC9s and carry it almost every day. It rides in an AlabamaHolsters kydex pocket holster
with a matching pocket mag pouch in the opposite pocket.

Put a set of XS BigDot sights on it and it is VERY fast on target.

It has been 100% reliable with all of the FMJ brands I practice with and it is loaded with Federal HST 124 grains.

Very happy with it, everyone who shoots it likes it and I recommend it to others looking for a CC pistol.
View Quote

I carry my LC9s almost daily for work and I also have replaced the sights with a set of XS BigDot sights. You are right that they are very fast on target and they are accurate as well. I just wish they had a rear sight with a tritium vial in it or some sort of glow to it. The front sight alone is great but the rear glowing as well could only make it better....<><....:)
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Local shop across the street from the Newport factory has an LC9s from the UGB for $250 out the door.  Only thing is it's this color:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2mh8ra9.jpgg

Trigger is night and day different from the original though.
View Quote

Well, I decided to buy it.  Not as pink as the picture - a deeper raspberry.  I've already had it completely apart to clean and it will be an easy RIT black dye job if I decide I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All the ammo you've mentioned was what I wondered about.  Gold Dots in particular. I've also wanted to give the Alien gear holsters a go. They don't cost that much to try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

All the ammo you've mentioned was what I wondered about.  Gold Dots in particular. I've also wanted to give the Alien gear holsters a go. They don't cost that much to try.

Alien gear holsters are excellent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I like my old LC9 (pre-s).
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Wife had an LC9 (that's now Mom's) and currenty has the LC9s PRO. No issues with either so far, and the trigger on it is very shootable IMO
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I really like my pro model.  Haven't shot it much, only 200 rounds, but no malfunctions with either wwb or federal hst.  I carry it daily and have sweat on it but no rust even though it's blued.  I do give it a wipe down with eezox at least every 2 or 3 days though.  It's a great gun for the money.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't know if the LC380 counts.  It's ergonomically identical to the LC9, which is a very good thing.  And mine was 100% reliable while I owned it.  I only sold it because I replaced with a single-action Sig P938 - which is an awesome pocket carry gun as well.
Understand that the LC9 has a magazine disconnect.  This is a safety feature designed to make sure the gun will not discharge if you forget to cycle the chambered round out before disassembly.  It prevents tactical reloads however, and to me, that's a serious liability in a defensive pistol.  It can be removed, but of course that voids the warranty and could be used against you in a self-defense case.

ETA - I see that several have mentioned the LC9 Pro, which omits the mag disconnect.  I'd go that route.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#39]
My girl has the lc9 pro and loves it, I've only shot it once and it's just to compact for my hand. It does shoot great though.

Alien gear holsters are great I have 2 of them and would buy more .
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#40]
The only gun that beats the LC9s trigger is the S&W Performance.

I got the LC9s Pro and about a month later the Performance came out.  My friend bought one and I was at the LGS when it came in.  I tried the trigger and darn near set up for a trade in for one of my own.

Since then I have installed iridium sights and done some trigger work on my gun and now it is a keeper.  Better sights than the Performance with a trigger nearly as good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Went shopping for a small 9 for the wife. She had trouble pulling back the slide on all the other guns but the Ruger LC9s. Great gun, shoots nice and great trigger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Im probably the only one who wishes they made one with a round hammer and SA/DA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I've shot an original LC9.  I noticed that it had a long trigger reset, with almost a false reset half way through.  I was like you needed a full trigger reset to fire again, or to make sure you got two clicks on the trigger as it was resetting to be able to fire again.

Does the LC9s act like this? Is the reset shorter? Does it have a false reset like the original LC9?

Very interested in an LC9s.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My girl has the lc9 pro and loves it, I've only shot it once and it's just to compact for my hand. It does shoot great though.

Alien gear holsters are great I have 2 of them and would buy more .
View Quote

Funny i came in this thread to read on the lc9s pro because i want one for pocket carry.

I must be the only guy on the planet who didn't love my alien gear holsters
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Bought the LC9s pro yesterday ....... shot a 100 runds of wwb and 50 rnds of gold dots this am.
It's been in my pocket ever since.

314 otd was the best deal i could find.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bought the LC9s pro yesterday ....... shot a 100 runds of wwb and 50 rnds of gold dots this am.

View Quote

Wow, that's a great deal!  Here in the gulag they typically run about $420 at the LGS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've shot an original LC9.  I noticed that it had a long trigger reset, with almost a false reset half way through.  I was like you needed a full trigger reset to fire again, or to make sure you got two clicks on the trigger as it was resetting to be able to fire again.

Does the LC9s act like this? Is the reset shorter? Does it have a false reset like the original LC9?

Very interested in an LC9s.
View Quote

Really, the LC9s is a totally different trigger than the LC9.  It is much much better in every way...  Much shorter and clear reset, much lighter double action pull, and smooth.  I can compare it to the trigger of my Glock 19 only that it is much better imo.  

I recommend the pistol for CCW highly.  I just wish they included another mag with the pistol and that they weren't so expensive.  It's ridiculous.

Pat
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a great deal!  Here in the gulag they typically run about $420 at the LGS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea it's the cheapest i've seen one...... they go for 320~+ tax at shows and 400~ + tax in stores usually around here.

I tested it with the crapiest thing i ever shoot today 100 rnds of brown bear this afternoon zero trouble.

Have some HST's on the way for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Ruger has really stepped up it's game when it comes to it's newer pistol line. The LC9S is a great example. I love mine as the trigger is smooth,very slim pistol and has a safety(well at least mine does).
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Now that i have had mine almost 6~ months.
This gun has been in my pocket since i got it.
The Texas summer me sweating on it has not been kind to the finish.

I have one "gripe" They need to make this gun in stainless.

I have to wipe this sucker with an oily rag every night or it rusts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top