Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/12/2003 10:54:28 PM EDT
Second generation Kimbers with the new safety features? Gun Test wrote a pretty scathing reveiw when they first changed the design, complaining about it increasing trigger pull weights. But people complained the same way when Colt went from the Series 70 to the Series 80.

Also are MIM parts used in Kimbers really less durable than traditional forged 1911 parts. I'm considering a Kimber for mu next 1911, but alot of people on the 1911 boards are really bagging on the MIM parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:10:38 AM EDT
The Series II Kimbers currently seem to have most of the "bugs" ironed out. The issues were mostly with the shorter-slide models, not those with the full size 1911 length slide. I do not care for the added safety myself...a solution to a nonexistant mechanical problem (the "problem" is one of lawsuits)...but they seem to work OK. It has no effect upon the trigger pull since it works off of the grip safety.

I personally do not care for MIM parts and plastic trigger faces / mainspring housings either, but I know of no widespresd problems from either...I just prefer something else in my guns...steel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:17:09 AM EDT
Owned a couple of "early" Series II guns and had a few firing pin safety related problems with them. Recently picked up a Target 38 Super and a Tactical Pro and they have worked perfectly. Really think it was just a matter of the parts being fitted correctly. Will not hesitate to purchase more Kimbers down the road.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:07:32 PM EDT
What does MIM mean "Made in Mexico?"

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:38:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By icemanat95:
What does MIM mean "Made in Mexico?"

Molton Injected Metal or Metal Injection Metal, depending on who you ask.

Chip McCormick has been doing it for awhile with good results. Kimber stole his idea and tried doing it in house, with some apparent problems.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:53:19 AM EDT
How about Metal Injection Molding
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:41:46 PM EDT
Some facts about MIM.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:24:41 PM EDT
Gun Test magazine should have known the Kimber firing pin block is actuated by the grip safety, not the trigger. I've had no problem with mine and it has seen over 2,000 rounds since January. The trigger is not bad at all. A little take up, but smooth and crisp.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:34:52 AM EDT
No problems at all with my TLE II. Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:55:42 AM EDT
gun mags are about as reliable as gun store employees.btw was the MIM technology pat. by mcormick????if not then stole is a bit of an overstatment.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:46:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scooper:
gun mags are about as reliable as gun store employees.btw was the MIM technology pat. by mcormick????if not then stole is a bit of an overstatment.

MIM is an industrial process, just like turning, drilling, or EDM, so no, it's not patented. Ruger has used it for awhile.

As far as "stealing" it, I suppose you could say that the use of MIM to fabricate certain parts might be "borrowing" someone else's process ideas.
Top Top