Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT
What are peoples impressions of the Aluminum Frame kimbers?  Any problem reports with these, or any reason I should steer clear of an aluminum framed gun in general?  Loooking at an SS Pro-carry w/ aluminum frame and just doing my homework.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I have seen, and this by no means makes my opinion worth anything, is that in the store where I work, the aluminum frame kimbers have more dings in them from just being handled in the store and being on display. The aluminum is nice and light but does not seem to stand up real well. Don't get me wrong I love Kimbers, but an aluminum framed gun just doesn't strike me as tough enough.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Kimber Compact Aluminum (Series I) almost every single day and haven't had any issues with it.  I don't shoot it as much as my fullsize, but it's not really a gun that's intended for alot of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My Pro-Carry has had no issues in almost two thousand rounds. It does seem like the anodizing, or whatever finish they have, doesn't hold up as well as the bluing on the steel. That is purely cosmetic though and the finish was even worse on the MIM parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I would never buy another aluminum 1911 again - I bought a Tactical II last year - I have a Beretta 92 w/ an aluminum frame and have no problems w/ that. So, I figured "why not" - Gun looked awesome. Shot well too.

After having it 2 weeks, I dicovered a long thread on a 1911 forum - I saw the dreaded "gouge" - using a magazine w/ a metal follower will damage the inside of the frame. Over time, it can get pretty excessive. Why would Kimber sell a mag with their own gun that will damage it right before your very eyes as you shoot it.

I then checked my gun out - in that spot inside of the frame, I saw the very beginning of the mark - This was after just 200 rounds. Also, I did not think about the fact that while my Beretta has an aluminum frame, the steel barrel acts as the feed ramp - the 1911 uses the frame as part of the feed ramp. After 400 rounds, I already had some visual wear in the metal where the bullet rubs the frame when it is loaded into the barrel. Also, that gouge inside the frame got a little bigger.

I tried Wilson mags w/ a plastic follower, but the gun would only work with the stock mags and metal follower. I then sold the $908 + tax gun for about $150 less, because that was all I could get for it. I am kinda angry that I spend about $1k on a gun that actually wore before my very eyes. If I had that after 400 rounds, I could imagine how it would be after 2000.

Kimber really should use plastic followers in their aluminum guns, and they should also put a ramped barrel in them.

I personally will never buy another aluminum 1911 again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Solution: buy a Springfield lightweight.  I have a pair of 5" alloy frame Loadeds that have about 30,000 rounds through them (the both of them).  No problems.

Springfield lightweights come stock with a Nowlin-style ramped barrel.  No feed ramp wear.  Change the recoil springs on the recommended schedule and use a Shok-Buff, and you'll not have a problem.  I took one of mine to a Gunsite 250 class last year and shot the hell out of it.  It ran great.  

They're perfect CCW pieces.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Kimber UC II, 4500-5000 rounds through  it.  I've had three breakages, but none were related to the aluminum frame.  Also, my own experience with the finish on the aluminum was the opposite of an earlier poster.  My frame looks brand new (it's been carried daily in a custom leather holster for 5 years) and the slide is showing pretty good holster wear.  

I'd have another aluminum framed 1911 in a second, but I have some lingering reservations about Kimber in general.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tac-Pro II and the finish on the aluminum does tend to wear quicker, but she runs like a swiss watch.  Oh yeah, it is a dreaded external extractor gun, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top