Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, Hokie, you've put 'em all through the ringer, haven't you?!

The XIX has the integral scope rail; is that why it's a bit heavier?
The VII sounds like it'd be AS GOOD, only with the clean upper, right?

Any major differences between the two?
I can't imagine using optics on this system unless the bbl. were of the longer variety ( which is cool in its own right ).
HAVING the gun with me, as it will be my only .44, however I decide to carry it while hunting, is the most important part.
I suppose a cleaner, trimmer design would enhance that experience, as long as the VII was as good or better than the XIX.

My favorite finish is the Brushed Chrome because, as stated, it really shows off the lines of the gun.
My favorite grip would be the fingergroove Hogue, because I have them on 80% of my handguns already.

Keep the information and photos coming...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It depends on what you want. The MARK XIX can be converted to .50AE only by swaping the barrel and magazine but it's a bit more problematic then the MARK VII and much larger and heavier.
The MARK VII is smaller, less problematic and more practicle overall. It's all a matter of what you want.

I have the Mark VII in 44mag.  I love it.  I also got the 50AE conversion kit from Magnum Research.  The only difference in converting a VII to 50AE is that you also need a bolt.  I have never had problems in either caliber.   I love it in 44Mag though, it is incredibly accurate.  50AE is fun but definately less accurate.  H*ll uva gun though in either caliber.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
.44 Magnum and .50AE shells use the same rim and the DEs use the same bolt. Even a MARK I can bet converted to a MARK XIX but the price is not worth it. To convert an earlier model to a XIX, you have to replace the slide as well as the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a MkVII for years. It had an Aimpoint mounted on it  for shits and giggles. I was shooting at at plates at 100yds at he local range and some LE guy that hangs out there said he had to have it. I priced it and he went to the bank and brought back cash.
After he left with it, I was ready to kick myself. It was serious fun and had the CDI (chicks dig it) factor built in.
I wish I had it back. No real use for it, it was just plain old fashioned fun. everyone at the range had to try it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Mk. XIX in .44 Mag that I purchased brand new in Nov. 2002 for $979 before the government got involved (tax).  I absolutely love it.  It was a "just had to have gun".  It just fills a bonus spot in the gun collection - WOW value.

I am a firearms instructor and teke usually take it to the Basic Academy range about the time we get to low-level light.  I fire it when lights are fading and students are off-line on break and  the response is predictible.

Just a ton of fun.  After carrying and shooting "carry guns" and "duty guns" all the time, it is a good relief.

At some point, I'll probably do the red-dot sight just for the hell of it.  Why not?

Good investment-never looses value if you maintain it.  Beats spending it anywhere else.

I do have to alter my shooting grip when I shoot it.  I have to watch thumb placement or I'll slow the slide down in recoil.  If you want to make sure all your shooting mechanics are in place, it's a great self-check tool.

Have fun. A day at the range is better than any day in the office.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hated the one I put rounds through.  If I rode my thumb high, it got hit by the slide mounted safety and sat on top of the slide release preventing the gun from locking back when empty.  This sucked because the slide has a helacious recoil spring system.  If I planted my thumb low, below the rediculous extended slide stop I bumped it up during recoil with rounds still in the mag.

Id take a good .44 Mag revolver any day.

You shouldve been a leftie...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun as hell to shoot.  Has no practical purpose other than plinking and big game hunting.  I love mine if it wasn't for that fact that I got it in trade of some debt a friend owed me I would never own one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top