Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 12:46:34 PM EDT
Found on for a very good price and I could not pass it up. $589 and with tax it came to $628.

It will have to be shipped to my state, but I am looking foward to shooting it.

What kind of ammo should I buy?

thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot UMC 180 gr.

Seems to have more power to it than some of the other common brands.  Since I use the DE mostly for showing off, the noise, recoil, and fireball can't be beat!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend Gold Dots, work great in my .50.

Just make sure you check that gas piston before you fire it...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recommend Gold Dots, work great in my .50.

Just make sure you check that gas piston before you fire it...

What do you mean?  Check to make sure it's installed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen them bent before on used ones...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you use jacketed ammo no lighter than 240 grain. I had pretty good luck with the Winchester soft point 50 packs (good price). If you have jamming problems, it is usually the magazines' feed lips. There is someone on the web with the fix.Use good lube and make sure you keep the gas system clean. A word of  warning, this gun cycles really fast!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder as to whether it's an American or Israeli manufactured one...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wonder as to whether it's an American or Israeli manufactured one...

It is an IMI one.

Is the American one better? Cause some people say the IMI Desert Eagle has a lot of problems, others say they are the same.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Make sure you use jacketed ammo no lighter than 240 grain. I had pretty good luck with the Winchester soft point 50 packs (good price). If you have jamming problems, it is usually the magazines' feed lips. There is someone on the web with the fix.Use good lube and make sure you keep the gas system clean. A word of  warning, this gun cycles really fast!

180 gr. works good for me...  Why shouldn't I?

Also:  Can't stress this enough!  Ammo MUST be jacketed!  Unjacketed, solid lead bullets will seriously mess up the gas system!

Read the manual!  Here's a download if you don't have one:  Desert Eagle Manual

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
No experience with the American ones, but they seem to have crappier finishes, kinda like comparing an M9 to an Italian  
92 FS.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention about the copper jacketed ammo only, and make sure you read that manual too!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I was under the impression that they were all made by IMI,  but the custom finishes are done by MRI...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that they were all made by IMI,  but the custom finishes are done by MRI...

There was a period in the late 90s (1995 - 1998) when an American company, Saco Defense, was making them. According to Wikipedia, production went back to IMI due to quality issues. I've also heard that Saco got out of the defense business and that was why IMI took over again.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
good price on that DE
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You should pick up some more mags too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top