Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2016 7:42:13 AM EDT
i picked it up in trade, from i believe 2nd owner. he said he got it from a guy almost 6 years ago, said he put 18 rds throught it and put it back in the case and never touched it again.

so i just gave it a quick inspection, saw a little bit of surface rust, as well as some on the end of the inside of the barrel, hassled the guy a bit, but ti didnt look bad.

got it home, got it disassembled, wow, not sure it was ever cleaned, and it was bone dry, it had some "patina" or blueish corrosion on the piston, and under the barrel area.

is the light rust and corrosion normal for these things? need to keep it oiled? or just look at having it coated or something

have been cruising the interwebs for a couple days, not alot of used parts out there, or anything from anyone but magnum research, was thinking of a 44 conversion, but at a 450$ price tag, maybe not.

i picked up soe hornady and some Fusion ammo for it, havent shot it yet, but hopefully soon

also, are the grips with screws compatible with the older one with the spring loaded pin in the bottom? that thing is stupid

thanks for any advice
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
is the light rust and corrosion normal for these things? need to keep it oiled?
View Quote

Yes. I don't shoot mine much with the cost of ammo, but it gets a light coat of gun oil inside & out when it gets put away.
Also it may not like the Fusion ammo...Mine doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. I don't shoot mine much with the cost of ammo, but it gets a light coat of gun oil inside & out when it gets put away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Like it causes jams? Hoping the fusion works, i was possibly going to use it as a bear gun, need to shoot it before i decide.

I plan on getting some reloading dies for it and reloading some to keep the cost down,
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Like it causes jams? Hoping the fusion works, i was possibly going to use it as a bear gun, need to shoot it before i decide.

I plan on getting some reloading dies for it and reloading some to keep the cost down,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light rust is normal with the current production models. I never tried fusion, Hornady sucks, find some Speer ammo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Light rust is normal with the current production models. I never tried fusion, Hornady sucks, find some Speer ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo selection here is pretty limited for this thing, ive found the hornady, fusion, and underwood. I saw double tap makes some, but no dice, headed to anchorage in a coupke weeks, ill check there
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got three barrels - .357, .44. and .50.  Of them, I shoot the .50 by far the least.  I went a long time before getting the .50 barrel, as anything I would want to use the gun for can be done as well with the .44 Mag.  

The gun is really not set up very well for a heavy-recoiling cartridge. The bore is too high to the grip, and makes the gun really flippy.  You also need to hold the frame relatively stable or it won't cycle correctly.  This can be interesting with the heavy, flippy recoil.  While the .44 does give up a little power to the .50, in bear country I'd probably still use the .44 barrel.  I can probably get 2 accurate shots on target with the .44 for every aimed shot with the .50.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly i'd check gun broker if you are wanting to convert down to 44 or 357.  You can get a barrel for around 300ish.

You need to verify which variant you have, MK19 MK7 or MK1.  It doesn't really make a difference going from 50->44/357 but does the other way :-D
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly i'd check gun broker if you are wanting to convert down to 44 or 357.  You can get a barrel for around 300ish.

You need to verify which variant you have, MK19 MK7 or MK1.  It doesn't really make a difference going from 50->44/357 but does the other way :-D
View Quote

Actually the $450 conversion cost estimate is pretty close. Having watched gunbroker, eBay, and online retailers for a while, $350 for a barrel is about the best price I've seen once you add in shipping costs.  You then need a couple of mags (I'd say 2 minimum). Factory mags are close to $50 each with shipping. Maybe a little less if you shop around, but not by much. Aftermarket mags cost considerably less but are often unreliable.

For .50-to-.44 conversion, a new barrel and mags all you need (same with .440 Corbon if you really want some horsepower). To go from any of those to .357, you also need a different bolt, so add another $100 or so.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
A local shop here has 2 caliber change kits, 50ae and 44, black for 450$ each, magnum research has them msrp at like 472$.

Mine is a XIX, so mark19, made in 2007, or at least thats whats on the case.

I see no reason to chamber this hand cannon in 357, i have a ruger gp100 already

I was reading on the magnum research website they can add a muzzle break for 210$ anyone had it done?

Does the muzzle break help much with recoil?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was reading on the magnum research website they can add a muzzle break for 210$ anyone had it done?

View Quote

They have what is essentially a bolt-on brake, which adds an inch or so to an already long barrel:

Or they recently started offering a new barre with an integral brake, but it has effectively one inch less rifled barre.

I think I prefer the look of the shorter integral brake, but I don't have direct experience with either.

But I do have a different brake on a .44 barrel, and I can say it takes around 50% of the flip out.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They have what is essentially a bolt-on brake, which adds an inch or so to an already long barrel:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-DE50MB.jpg&w=652&h=556

Or they recently started offering a new barre with an integral brake, but it has effectively one inch less rifled barre.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-DE50IMB.jpg&w=652&h=556

I think I prefer the look of the shorter integral brake, but I don't have direct experience with either.

But I do have a different brake on a .44 barrel, and I can say it takes around 50% of the flip out.

https://youtu.be/dN2CO19lIPo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-DE50MB.jpg&w=652&h=556

http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=SVimg-DE50IMB.jpg&w=652&h=556

https://youtu.be/dN2CO19lIPo

Hmm yeah, the added break may be too much, the factory break built in looks pretty good, dont really want to ad even more lengh to it.

Wonder if having the barrel ported would help.

Looks like the brake helps quite a bit on the muzzle flip
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have any expierence having a 50ae barrel ported? Talked with magna port, they charge about 140$ to do it with a total of 4 ports
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have any expierence having a 50ae barrel ported? Talked with magna port, they charge about 140$ to do it with a total of 4 ports
View Quote

Honestly, I have never felt the need to have mine ported. It doesn't feel like it is necessary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Honestly, I have never felt the need to have mine ported. It doesn't feel like it is necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, my hogue grip gets here friday, plan to shoot it saturday, im waiting to make any rash decisions till i shoot it. Most of my reading, i found most people say yhe finger grip is a huge help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting, my hogue grip gets here friday, plan to shoot it saturday, im waiting to make any rash decisions till i shoot it. Most of my reading, i found most people say yhe finger grip is a huge help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hogue grips always looked to me like they add extra bulk to an already bulky grip.  The factory grips aren't "grippy" enough - my hands slide around on them some. I think half of the reason the Hogues work as well as they do is because the softer rubber tends to adhere better to the shooter's hand.  If they had something that was thin, but still soft and "grippy" I think they would have a winner.

I'm not huge, and I don't have big hands.  I probably would appreciate having my .50 barrel ported.  Someone with more body mass than me might not see as much benefit.  As it is, the .50 is by far the barrel I shoot the least, although at least is because it's also the most expensive barrel to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Hogue grips always looked to me like they add extra bulk to an already bulky grip.  The factory grips aren't "grippy" enough - my hands slide around on them some. I think half of the reason the Hogues work as well as they do is because the softer rubber tends to adhere better to the shooter's hand.  If they had something that was thin, but still soft and "grippy" I think they would have a winner.

I'm not huge, and I don't have big hands.  I probably would appreciate having my .50 barrel ported.  Someone with more body mass than me might not see as much benefit.  As it is, the .50 is by far the barrel I shoot the least, although at least is because it's also the most expensive barrel to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you see this one?

LINK

its a hogue rubber grip that is like the factory one, but rubber, not plastic. not sure if you have seen these or not, just an idea.

no doubt 50 is the most expensive, but thats what i have for now, it will be a while before i get a caliber kit for it
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Like it causes jams? Hoping the fusion works
View Quote

They kept jamming on on the feed ramp.  That soft point I think gets a little mangled.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Just put about 45 rds of fusion, hornady and underwood through it, no issues with cycling on any of it.

Issues with the gun...the front sight is bent to the left a little, just enough to know, it bugs me so ill probably replace the sights.

The mag is a little wore, when you put a mag in with the slide locked back, the top roundwill pop up when you seat the mag,

Other than that, it was awesome, cant wait to get it out again, never had that much fun shooting a 1911
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top